Author Topic: Idiot DUmmies spread more deserted store bouncies.  (Read 1122 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Idiot DUmmies spread more deserted store bouncies.
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4220372

WCGreen  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-11-08 08:51 PM
Original message
COSTCO was almost lifeless today. On a sunny, bright Saturday afternoon
warm like a summer day, the aisles at Costco should have been packed with eager shoppers. And yet, it was like shopping on a week day. Granted, we got there a little after 4:00, but I asked the many people I have become friendly with who work there what gives. They all said it was a little busy earlier but it was slow, by Saturday measures, most of the day.

The supermarkets, the two we went in, were the same. Granted, it was latter in the day but they weren't restocking as they usually would be by this time.

Traffic was down.

Not at the GOodwill store, though. We dropped off a mess of clothes and stuff and took a stroll through the store. Remember, this store is in the middle of one of the most affluent areas in Greater Cleveland. It was packed.

This was the first time all week I saw evidence of the financial meltdown that ripped through Wall Street all the way to us poor schlubs out here in the great beyond.

Anyway, purely anecdotal, but I can't help but feel as if everything has changed and yet nothing outward did. Perhaps it's because I remember the tales of the Great Depression from my Grand Parents. They hoarded food. Both sides of the family had a good pile of food in the cellar, as my Pennsylvania Grandma called it, or the basement, as my Cleveland grandmother called it.

I couldn't help it. I bought more canned food than I normally do. Put more than a few staples in the cart that I didn't really need. I guess it's in my genes. Canned chicken, Canned tomato's, Bulk Oatmeal, canned mushroom, a case of tomato sauce, two months of cat food. I just felt I needed to get this stuff.

Anyway, I got an uneasy feeling today. It took hold of my rational self and shook it up a bit.

Maybe Monday when the full intent of the Federal Reserves equity stake in the banks they bailed out and if the Libor somehow comes back to earth and if the G-7 did anything more than say to each other, Gee, what a ****ed up week this was, no? Maybe it will all come roaring back and people will have a renewed sense of stability.

Maybe.

But maybe all the generations out there now who are really entering a new era with me, and overnight at that, will have stories to tell their grandkids.

Odd that... I had to drive into the "Cuty" to get cat food at Pet Smart today and the fracking parking lot at the mall was jammed.

bob_weaver (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-11-08 08:52 PM
Response to Original message
1. The Costco in Mission Valley in San Diego was packed as usual.

Raine  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-11-08 08:59 PM
Response to Reply #1
5. Same here in the Los Angeles area
 people here in California don't seem to be slowing down, not that I can see.

Mind_your_head  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-11-08 09:04 PM
8. Progresso soup was on sail for $1/can - refried beans $0.60/can
 I bought 100 of each ..... 50 each for my family and 50 each for the food bank.
   :whatever:

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-11-08 09:08 PM
10. I was actually surprised today
 The Goodwill was PACKED.
I needed to go to Home Depot and Walmart...business was good in both places. One difference though. For the first time in YEARS at EITHER store...I was approached by an employee and ASKED if I needed help.
That used to be so expected but now rarely happens.
Perhaps big business is going to realize they need to "court their customers" again.
Maybe it was because you remembered to shower and wear pants today...

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-11-08 10:05 PM
19. Watch peoples faces. And how they act. Their attitudes have changed
 No more smiles and "Hello, how you doing.", from people." If someone holds a door open for you its a miracle.

Everyone is pissed off.

Don
Try hanging out with people that aren't psych moonbats.

BrainStorm (922 posts)      Sat Oct-11-08 10:22 PM
21. There's a lot of this going on
 Costco works on fast movement of inventory so I am wondering about its long term survival.
  Again,  :whatever: .

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Idiot DUmmies spread more deserted store bouncies.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
Maybe it was empty because they were all in NH buying new RV's?   :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
I am sure that in the latter part of 1999, DUmmy WCGreen was among the pinheads screaming about "getting off the grid", and laying in hundreds of pounds of dried beans, before the Y2K disaster.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41:04 AM »
Had to park near the back of the parking lot at Walmart yesterday.  The place was certainly empty. :whatever:

Then again though, only evil rethugs who have grubbed all the money shop at Walmart.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
Maybe it was empty because they were all in NH buying new RV's?   :-)

KC

Funny you should mention NH.  Beautiful weekend indeed.  So why the hell would people be INSIDE, shopping, on a beautiful day, when they were, like I was, taking a drive and admiring the beautiful foilage?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Wal-Mart was pretty slow yesterday...at 8 AM.   ::) 

Kansas seems to be doing just fine.  Agriculture did well last year, the banks have money, there are no beggars on the corners (though I did see a group with "9-11 was an inside job" signs), people are still driving big trucks and SUVs...and I've not heard one word about credit cards being refused.  Nor do I receive any less of those stupid card offers in the mail.

Sorry, DUmp...we're not all living doom, gloom and fear.   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
Schmidts’ Meat Market was lined up 4 or 5 deep yesterday. Wally World was very busy too...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »
SLW and I are going to Lowes and CostCo in a few, I'll report
back later!!!!!  :fuelfire:  :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
It isn't uncommon for DUmmies to find themselves in deserted retail stores.

They climb down through the ceiling air vent at 3am, look all around, and sure enough, no one is there.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
Ooops DUmmies! Lowes was packed and got some new mini-blinds for the bedroom, on sale! 20% off Levelor brand.  :-)

And our CostCo was packed too!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.