Author Topic: McCain wants you to think this financial meltdown was caused by Dems & FAnnie &  (Read 985 times)

Offline MrsSmith

JohnWxy (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-11-08 02:19 PM
Original message
McCain wants you to think this financial meltdown was caused by Dems & FAnnie & Freddie, NPR concurs
 Advertisements [?]

NPR interview with NYT Duhigg lets Duhigg push the lie that the Democrats share equal resposiblity for this Financial Disaster. Bull! It was caused by deregulation of the financial markets and futures trading by Phil Gramm (McCain's choice for Treasury Secretary).

JohnWxy (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-11-08 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #1
5. Duhigg works for the NYT he's supposed to get his facts lined up and 
 accurately represent the situation / issue he is reporting on. The amendment that would have stopped Fannie-Mae and Freddie Mac from buying sub-prime mortgages was voted down by every Republicans.

The bills to Deregulate the trading in energy futures (and others) the "Commodities Futures Modernization Act" and the "Financial Services Industry Modernization Act" were both sponsored by The Republican party, sponsored by Phil Gramm, and voted for by John McCain. THis fact pertains to this election as it shows McCain is for deregulation - as he is with regard to Health insurance. THis is something of great import to voters.

It is these bills deregualting transactions in futures and financial derivative instruments which caused this financial meltdown. Now if the M$M (NOT JUST DUHIGG) isn't telling this story they either are Autistic or Dimwitted (in the extreme) or are staying away from it for some other reason. But maybe you just think they are incompetent idiots or Autistic, but well meaning. Some say ignorance is bliss. Don't let me spoil your happiness.

The main thing for people (who really want to understand this thing) to come away with is that deregulation is what caused the financial disaster we are in. It wasn't the fact that Fannie and Freddie were also mis-managed (by a Bush appointee). Fanni & Freddie were a small part of it and helped the situation along but they were not the CAUSE of it.

JohnWxy (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-11-08 03:02 PM
Response to Reply #2
7. YOUr wife is uncritically swallowing the message and thus confused into thinking Niether political 
 party is more responsible than the other. In this case that is bull. This is one of the meta-messages the Republicans have been pushing for years. It is meant to cause people to despair of bein g able to make things better. Apathy serves republicans (and any self-serving politician of either party) well.

THe REpublican Party has been pushing for deregualtion of all business activity for decades. They sponsored the bills I mentioned to you to deregulate trading in commodity futures and financial derivatives. It is the unregulated trading in these instruments which caused the Enron debacle and the incredible rise in gas prices the last two years and now the worst financial crisis since the great depression.

Not recognizing the causes of this crisis is reckless and not-too-bright. But I can see why the Republicans want the M$M to lay off covering the real cause. Because it is their policy of deregulation that caused this crisis.

YOUr wife is like so many people. It gives many people a head-ache   to think about it. But if you do not get informed on the subject you may vote more idiots (or ne'er-do-wells) into office making things even worse. I for one do not believe that ignorance is bliss. I think that is a short sighted and immature way of looking at things. Our problems will not go away if we just ignore them or pray they will somehow get better. I believe people have to take action to make things better.

I also believe in criticising the media when they are obviously not covering a story honestly.

Wxy waxes eloquent, sort of...

:rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
My IQ just dropped after reading that.

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
It wasn't caused by Democrats?

Why is it that ever since January 3, 2007, everything's gone to Hell?--gasoline prices, the cost of groceries, the financial morass?

Why is it that ever since January 3, 2007, everything's gone to Hell?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
My IQ just dropped after reading that.

[youtube=425,350]RyKvD-4IxOY[/youtube]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

Hmmm, Barney Frank is a Democrat and oversaw the Banking Committee asshat. IF anyone should have been able to see and stop what was going on at Freddie and Fannie it was HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Hmmm, Barney Frank is a Democrat and oversaw the Banking Committee asshat. IF anyone should have been able to see and stop what was going on at Freddie and Fannie it was HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not when his butt buddy is making million$ off the thing . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.