Author Topic: rocking chair primitive cleans up front yard; bounces  (Read 635 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
rocking chair primitive cleans up front yard; bounces
« on: October 11, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7412364

Oh my.

asdjrocky  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Oct-11-08 01:04 PM
Original message

My early morning conversation-   

As I get older, I find myself waking up earlier and earlier, and going to bed earlier and earlier. I suppose I'm just a few years away from the early bird special at Denny’s, and then in bed by seven and up by five. Yep I can just see it coming.

So this morning I'm out in the front yard, raking, weeding and doing some general clean up. The last thing I want is to have a messy lawn with my Obama sign, and my No on 8 right there for everyone to see, so I try to keep it clean.

As I'm pulling some weeds from my dismal little flower bed I glance up to see a neighbor motoring down the street on his electric wheel chair. W, as I'll call him for this, is easily into his seventies and he's always been a good neighbor. In conversations we've had I've learned he's a former union big equipment operator and he and his wife now live on a small pension and social security. We both garden and many times we've swapped goodies from our gardens. He's lost both of his legs, from the knee down to diabetes but he sure seems to get around okay and when he needs to go somewhere I've given him a ride because his chair can go easily into the back of my truck.

I give W, just his initial to protect the guilty, a friendly wave and go back to my weeding.

"I can't believe you're going to vote for that n-------," He says as he pulls up in front of my house. "You know there's no way we're ever going to elect a n------ President."

A bit shocked, and more than a little disappointed I stand to face the old fart. "Well, W," I say, "I'm not voting for an African American, I'm just voting for the person I think is best for the job, that's the beauty of America, we all get to make our own choice on election day."

"You gotta know, Rocky," He tells me with authority, "America is never going to vote for him."

"I don't know that W, and I think he's going to win. That's what all the polls are saying anyway."

"To each his own I guess," Old W grumbles, obviously disappointed that bigotry is something the two of us will never share.

"I guess." We hold eye contact for a moment. Finally I add, "And that's another thing that's great about America, we can all think the way we want, and we can agree to disagree." Another moment passes. "Are you going to vote?" I ask.

"Haven't voted for years 'cause they're all a bunch of lying thieves. But I'm voting this time for sure."

I just nod, being finished with this conversation long ago. Finally I say, "Well W, I think I better get back to my wedding.” I stand there, waiting for him to motor off, but there seems to be one more thing he wants to say.

“When is the election, what day is it on,?”

“Do you need a ride?” I ask him, before I can stop the words from coming out of my mouth.

“That’d be great.”

“Then I’ll pick you up Wednesday, November 5th.”

And I go back to my weeding, without a bit of guilt.

Yeah, yeah.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

Re: rocking chair primitive cleans up front yard; bounces
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »
Archie Bunker without legs...   :bs:

Zero bongs

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: rocking chair primitive cleans up front yard; bounces
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
NOBODY uses the N word these days -- except black people in da hood.

Freakin' liar.  I don't mind bouncies, but this constant repetition and projection of what the OP secretly thinks of Black people pisses off those of us who DO believe in equality.

Scratch a liberal, find a racist.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.