Author Topic: Crunchy Granola Deer Mourning: I cried tonight.  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Crunchy Granola Deer Mourning: I cried tonight.
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
Do you suppose they'd "get it" if the aborted children lay on the road?   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »
It is amazing how many people project human reasoning and emotions onto things incapable of complex thought and action.

The only reason the doe even noticed the fawn was gone is a genetic imperative to reproduce.  The doe probably forgot the fawn's existance within a week.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
It is amazing how many people project human reasoning and emotions onto things incapable of complex thought and action.

The only reason the doe even noticed the fawn was gone is a genetic imperative to reproduce.  The doe probably forgot the fawn's existance within a week.

I grew up on a dairy farm and when a cow freshened (had a calf) it was removed from her within a couple of days after the colostrum in her milk was run out and it could be sold for human consumption.
Yes,they have a mothers instinct and would call to the calf and search for it but within a day or two would forget all about it.
It did not take long.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »

Yep, I agree. It's why I said I think someone has been watching Bambi too many times.

Offline lizard

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
While it is perfectly natural for a doe to deliver a set of twins, it is dependent on abundant food sources in the area.  If, for instance, a very dry year and little mast is produced in the wooded areas and farm crops suffer, the pregnant doe, pregnant with twins...one will win and absorb the other in the womb.  Pure survival of the fittest and guarantee that one will have a better chance of making it on low nutrient supply from the mother, due to less than perfect feeding conditions for the mother.  So, if you see a doe with one fawn, it does not necessarily mean she lost one due to being hit by a car DUmmies. 

That said, here on our farm they are a huge nuisance.  They wreak havoc on the crops.   We manage to take our 2 a year for our freezer, and we let several people hunt the farm to help control the population.  Still, there were 5 deer standing out in the area in front of the shop when I came in this evening.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »
That said, here on our farm they are a huge nuisance.  They wreak havoc on the crops.   We manage to take our 2 a year for our freezer, and we let several people hunt the farm to help control the population.  Still, there were 5 deer standing out in the area in front of the shop when I came in this evening.

In the summertime, back at home, we affectionately referred to them as rats with antlers.  Couldn't keep the damned things out of the corn.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
Did everyone miss the fact that a spotted fawn was hit and the damn cop took it away.

A smart person....................(All depending on the condition of the deer,,,,no bladder bust) would have taken the deer off for the officer.

I know I'm a southerner and about to hear about road kill...................well HELL yeah. Fawn is like veal. Tou can fry the tenerloins with eggs for Breakfeast
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Did everyone miss the fact that a spotted fawn was hit and the damn cop took it away.

A smart person....................(All depending on the condition of the deer,,,,no bladder bust) would have taken the deer off for the officer.

I know I'm a southerner and about to hear about road kill...................well HELL yeah. Fawn is like veal. Tou can fry the tenerloins with eggs for Breakfeast

Two things:

1)  I have shot small does before, both of the deer I've killed with my T/C Black Diamond.  They ate real well.  One, I marinated the tenderloins in Italian dressing for a day, then served them for dinner for my wife and I.  My only complaint with them--they weren't big enough.  The Italian dressing imparted a good flavor to them.

2) I had a Ford Expedition with New Hampshire plates, and a platform off the back bumper attached to the trailer hitch, pass me today as I was coming back from working in the Town of Caroga of NY.  Said platform had two does strapped to it, tagged with nonresident tags.  Northern Zone of NY is open for bowhunting.  I beeped at them as I went by, and slowed down to give them a thumbs-up and a fist pump.  I'm thinking that it might be a pretty good year for deer hunting this year.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
Two things:

1)  I have shot small does before, both of the deer I've killed with my T/C Black Diamond.  They ate real well.  One, I marinated the tenderloins in Italian dressing for a day, then served them for dinner for my wife and I.  My only complaint with them--they weren't big enough.  The Italian dressing imparted a good flavor to them.

2) I had a Ford Expedition with New Hampshire plates, and a platform off the back bumper attached to the trailer hitch, pass me today as I was coming back from working in the Town of Caroga of NY.  Said platform had two does strapped to it, tagged with nonresident tags.  Northern Zone of NY is open for bowhunting.  I beeped at them as I went by, and slowed down to give them a thumbs-up and a fist pump.  I'm thinking that it might be a pretty good year for deer hunting this year.

Home made deer baloney ... mmmm...  smells awful, tastes great.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
Killed a nice doe with my bow yesterday morning. We have a very liberal season here but I shut it down after seven or eight each year, because the extended family can't handle more than that.

I hate deer around my house, but I love them in the woods and in my freezer