Author Topic: CA’s Housing Crisis is So Bad That Families Rent Rooms to Their Child’s Teacher  (Read 385 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
How can so many "smart people" in the state of California be so wrong for so long? Is it just merely being hand-wringing tree-huggers and worried about Joshua trees being eradicated because of wildfires? Or just being stupid in thinking that Man can actually change Mother Nature?

Being an outsider to the state (and definitely will remain so), I get the impression that California started going to the environmental dogs when the smog problems of LA and the surrounding area started becoming a real issue -- somewhere in the Sixties. Reforms were needed, apparently, and all manner of controls started to be placed on the Greatest Smog Polluter of All Time - the internal combustion engine. If automakers wanted to sell their products in ALL of California, they had to comply with an ever-increasing array (and more expensive) set of controls designed to reduce pollutants.

Now here we are, some fifty years later. I have no idea how much more traffic LA sees in its spaghetti-bowl urban road system compared to 1968, but I'm betting it's at least double. California has adopted environmental laws now that go far beyond addressing smog in LA. It's become incredibly stupid. To the point that we get to this:

It’s a kid’s worst nightmare. His teacher lives in the spare bedroom in his house.

This is how desperate California’s housing crisis has become: According to The National Desk, Milpitas Unified School District wants parents to put up teachers who can’t afford to live nearby.

“Do you have a room for rent?” asks the Rooms For Rent For MUSD Educators online form. “Please fill out this form and our MUSD educators who are seeking a room to rent will be notified. The rest is up to you.”

“​​The continued loss of staff is what led the school district officials to make a desperate attempt to keep their educators,” The National Desk reported at the beginning of the school year.

Milpitas Unified School District Superintendent Cheryl Jordan said the district had “lost out on some employees that we tried to recruit because once they see how much it costs to live here, they determine that it’s just not possible.”

Salaries in the Milpitas district start at $73,000 annually for first-year teachers and range to $145,811 a year. According to Redfin, the median price of a Milpitas home in November was $1.24 million, unaffordable for many. The average monthly rent for a single-bedroom apartment this month was almost $3,000, an 8 percent increase from the year before.

Within a week of sending out the notice, the school district had 55 responses from families willing to take in a teacher.

​​​​“This is evidence that our entire MUSD Team, which includes our teachers and classified support staff, is valued by our Milpitas community members, parents and caregivers,” Jordan said in a statement.

Yeah, well, sure. Good neighbors. But this bizarre episode in the state’s ongoing housing drama, renewed every year by the “network” in Sacramento and its local affiliates, is also evidence that California has on its hands a problem that has solutions but not the politics to enact them.

Here’s how deep California’s housing hole is:

“Though the exact number of new housing units California needs to build to address housing affordability is uncertain, the state would need to annually build roughly twice as much housing as it does today so that housing costs in California increase at the same rate as housing costs nationally,” says the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) in reviewing the housing plan in Gov. Gavin Newsom’s 2022-23 budget.

The LAO said in 2015 that “between 190,000 units per year and 230,000 units per year” should have been built between 1980 and 2010 in the state’s major metropolitan areas “to keep California’s housing cost growth in line with cost escalations elsewhere in the U.S.” Of course this didn’t happen.”
Newsom has said that California needs to build 3.5 million new homes in four years, a pace of 875,000 a year. In the 2000s, the state averaged only about 120,000 new units a year.

There’s no reason to pretend that the needed changes will come easy. They won’t. Until there’s a full overhaul – not just token reform – of the California Environmental Quality Act, and there’s new thinking at the local level regarding rent control, zoning, and other policies that discourage homebuilding, the housing crisis will remain.

But then it’s possible all of the state’s most pressing problems have been taken care of, since Sacramento has enough energy to expend on handing out reparations, blaming the private sector for high fuel prices caused by the government, and enacting climate policies that have no basis in reality. California has its priorities and maybe everyday folks aren’t sharp enough to understand what’s really important.

Kerry Jackson is a fellow with the Center for California Reform at the Pacific Research Institute.

https://www.pacificresearch.org/cas-housing-crisis-is-so-bad-that-families-are-now-taking-in-their-childs-teacher/
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

A previous employer moved the division for which I worked out of the SF Bay Area because they could not recruit new-grad engineers. This was late in the OhBummer! MalAdministration. Suppressing the building of housing while demand is increasing has consequences. Milpitas is at the SE end of SF Bay.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

It seems the problem in most desirable places to live only the rich and the homeless can afford to live there. Maybe it’s time to restore some of the left wing urban shit holes so the average person can live there. Not only make it so they can live there but they would want to as well
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ADsOutburst

I’m sure the dems will tell us there’s nothing to see here.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
I’m sure the dems will tell us there’s nothing to see here.

Actually I'm expecting them to start squawking about the huge conflict of interest here.

After all, if the teacher is beholden to the student's family for s/h/its housing, isn't that just asking for preferential treatment to the one pupil who holds the power of eviction over s/h/its teacher?

Cue the poutraged know-nothing millenial parents of little Johnny who doesn't get preferential treatment in ...4 ...3 ...2.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

How long till code enforcement comes to fine them for unlicensed rentals?

And the 80000 new irs agents come for their cut?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!