Author Topic: Perceptions of the American Public on the topic of Unions  (Read 503 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Perceptions of the American Public on the topic of Unions
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »
As I've referenced before, I am almost hitting the 10 year mark of writing and hosting trivia shows at a local watering hole.  I do it for fun and some "walking around cash" as my Dad and Grandpa used to say.  I never invoke my views on politics, but am able to sprinkle questions involving politics with no one the wiser.

This past Saturday, I asked the crowd of 8 teams of people:

Within 5%, what percentage of U.S. employees are members of a union?

Every single team didn't even get in the neighborhood of the right range or answer.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2020, the percentage is:

In 2020, the percent of wage and salary workers who were members of unions--the union
membership rate--was 10.8 percent
, up by 0.5 percentage point from 2019, the U.S. Bureau
of Labor Statistics reported today. The number of wage and salary workers belonging to
unions, at 14.3 million in 2020, was down by 321,000, or 2.2 percent, from 2019. However,
the decline in total wage and salary employment was 9.6 million (mostly among nonunion
workers), or 6.7 percent. The disproportionately large decline in total wage and salary
employment compared with the decline in the number of union members led to an increase
in the union membership rate. In 1983, the first year for which comparable union data
are available, the union membership rate was 20.1 percent and there were 17.7 million
union workers.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm

So when liberals pander to the the unions, just wanted to remind everyone that they are a TINY part of the American public.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Perceptions of the American Public on the topic of Unions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 02:17:56 PM »
So when liberals pander to the the unions, just wanted to remind everyone that they are a TINY part of the American public.

True.

They continue to pander to the union extortion rackets though, because the union extortion rackets continue to funnel disproportionately large quantities of extorted loot to the Dim'Rat extortion racket.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
That the unions, in particular the UAW and the Teamsters, were so powerful back in the day (Jimmy Hoffa, anyone?) that the mob had to take Jimmy out.

He wasn't playing ball like the mob wanted him to. Namely, he couldn't leave the unions alone, which brought unnecessary heat down on the mob. The mob was getting what they wanted out of Frank Fitzsimmons.

But Jimmy couldn't leave it alone. So the mob made him a dirt sandwich.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:17:26 PM »
True.

They continue to pander to the union extortion rackets though, because the union extortion rackets continue to funnel disproportionately large quantities of extorted loot to the Dim'Rat extortion racket.

While unionized labor originated with a just and noble cause, they have long outlived their usefulness.

Personally have never been asked or required to join a union of any kind.  My teenage and college aged jobs were at retail stores, while everything since has been in finance/accounting.  Being well educated means that I don't need to pay the grift to any union (which as you said, are a slush fund for the Democrat party), nor do I need to be dictated what my salary is.  I'm certainly capable of negotiating a fair salary.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 03:48:16 PM »
As I've referenced before, I am almost hitting the 10 year mark of writing and hosting trivia shows at a local watering hole.  I do it for fun and some "walking around cash" as my Dad and Grandpa used to say.  I never invoke my views on politics, but am able to sprinkle questions involving politics with no one the wiser.

This past Saturday, I asked the crowd of 8 teams of people:

Within 5%, what percentage of U.S. employees are members of a union?

Every single team didn't even get in the neighborhood of the right range or answer.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2020, the percentage is:

In 2020, the percent of wage and salary workers who were members of unions--the union
membership rate--was 10.8 percent
, up by 0.5 percentage point from 2019, the U.S. Bureau
of Labor Statistics reported today. The number of wage and salary workers belonging to
unions, at 14.3 million in 2020, was down by 321,000, or 2.2 percent, from 2019. However,
the decline in total wage and salary employment was 9.6 million (mostly among nonunion
workers), or 6.7 percent. The disproportionately large decline in total wage and salary
employment compared with the decline in the number of union members led to an increase
in the union membership rate. In 1983, the first year for which comparable union data
are available, the union membership rate was 20.1 percent and there were 17.7 million
union workers.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm

What did your sampling guess?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:14:37 PM »
What did your sampling guess?

IIRC, 25 to 60%.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
The unions that bother me the most is the teacher's unions and AFSCME.