Author Topic: Minnesota officer meant to fire Taser, not handgun, in deadly Daunte Wright shoo  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Minnesota officer meant to fire Taser, not handgun, in deadly Daunte Wright shooting, police chief says
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-police-officer-riot-looting-national-guard-police-shooting-daunte-wright

A police chief in Brooklyn Center outside of Minneapolis released the body camera footage Monday showing the officer-involved shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright, categorizing the event as an "accidental discharge."

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said he believed the so far unidentified officer intended to reach for a Taser but mistakenly grabbed her service weapon and deployed a single bullet. Both the chief and Mayor Mike Elliott declined to release the officer's name at this time but said the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension should be releasing information about all involved parties soon.

At least 500 Minnesota National Guard personnel were activated across the Twin Cities on Monday in support of Operation Safety Net during the trial for Derek Chauvin – a number that's expected to increase following Sunday’s fatal police shooting in Brooklyn Center.

Brooklyn Center is not too far from Minneapolis. Another riot.

Brooklyn Center Police did not immediately identify Wright or disclose his race, but some demonstrators who gathered near the scene waved flags and signs reading "Black Lives Matter." On one street, written in multicolored chalk, it read: "Justice for Daunte Wright."

In a statement, Brooklyn Center Police said that officers had stopped an individual shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. After determining the driver had an outstanding warrant, police tried to arrest him. But the driver reentered the vehicle and drove away, police said. An officer fired at the vehicle, striking the driver. Police said the vehicle traveled several blocks before crashing into another vehicle. A female passenger sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.

Speaking at a press conference, Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington detailed how demonstrators gathered shortly after the shooting and crash, with some jumping on top of police cars and confronting officers. Marchers also descended upon the Brooklyn Center Police Department building where rocks and other objects were thrown at officers, he said.

The demonstrators had largely dispersed by 1:15 a.m. Monday. Harrington added that about 20 businesses had been broken into at the city's Shingle Creek shopping center. He said law enforcement agencies were coordinating to tame the unrest, and the National Guard was activated.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The perp's sudden decision to flee... and the officer keeping her hand 'near' her gun... probably created a swirl-of-thought wherein she actually drew her gun when her CO said:  " Taser!  Taser! "

It's a fog of war mistake.  That's about all I can read-into it.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
The perp's sudden decision to flee... and the officer keeping her hand 'near' her gun... probably created a swirl-of-thought wherein she actually drew her gun when her CO said:  " Taser!  Taser! "

It's a fog of war mistake.  That's about all I can read-into it.

I'm curious about where the taser and gun are located on the belt.  Are they close together?  On opposite sides?  Is it easy to grab one when reaching for the other?  Waiting for more details, but yes, so far sounds like a heat of the moment mistake.  That doesn't absolve the officer, much like a case we had here in Dallas, officer got off work, went home, wasn't paying close attention, went to the wrong apartment, thought someone was in her apartment, shot and killed a man.  She was found guilty of murder and sentenced to 10 years.  An ugly mistake and consequences were needed.  Not that it satisfied many of the SJWs and race pimps, especially since the victim's brother openly forgave her in the courtroom, but it seemed like actual justice.  We will see what comes of this case.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Your  service weapon is on your strong side- right side for right handers, etc. (for some reason one media outlet called it a service revolver- which I highly doubt- looks to be a GLOCK .40 S&W... just like I carry.) The Taser is usually on the offside front, near the belt buckle for easy reach with the strong side hand for a cross draw.

LEOs are taught to approach any situation with the hand on the service weapon, seconds literally count when danger arises.
So- the heat of the moment pulling your service weapon thinking its a taser is possible. AND obviously a situation that given the details in the video from the body cams- very deadly for the suspect in question.

At the most it's gross negligence... this is a 28 year veteran police officer. Shouldn't have happened to a seasoned street cop at all.

Makes me wonder at her actual street service. The entire stop looks off.

Anyway... that's were the weapon and the taser are.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I know nothing about cop procedures, but common sense tells me if they're going to put handcuffs on a guy, the place NOT to do that is at the driver's door, with it open, and otherwise ready to roll.

Get him away from the door at least and CLOSE IT.

As I understand it, the perp was stopped on a normal traffic stop for whatever reason. When they ran his name, they found out he had an outstanding warrant, which is why they attempted to arrest him. They weren't "serving a warrant" as I've read recently.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I know nothing about cop procedures, but common sense tells me if they're going to put handcuffs on a guy, the place NOT to do that is at the driver's door, with it open, and otherwise ready to roll.

Get him away from the door at least and CLOSE IT.

As I understand it, the perp was stopped on a normal traffic stop for whatever reason. When they ran his name, they found out he had an outstanding warrant, which is why they attempted to arrest him. They weren't "serving a warrant" as I've read recently.

I'd have to watch the full video- only edited versions out now- to see why the stop went so badly.

It's possible the suspect started resisting as soon as he got out of the car- or possibly had to be removed.

SOP is to move the suspect to the back bumper of the vehicle before placing in cuffs. As well as turning the vehicle's engine off and removing keys.

Hard to analyze a stop if you don't see the entire stop.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Daunte Wright carjacked man weeks before he was killed by cop: lawsuit
https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/daunte-wright-carjacked-man-weeks-before-he-was-killed-lawsuit/

The 20-year-old black man who was fatally shot by a Minnesota police officer during a traffic stop in April was allegedly involved in an armed carjacking and violent assault three weeks before he was killed, according to a new lawsuit.

Daunte Wright — who was killed when Officer Kim Potter mistook her gun for a Taser — and an accomplice allegedly jumped 20-year-old Joshua Hodges on March 21 while he was sitting in his car in north Minneapolis, the court papers state.

The other man shot Hodges in his left leg, after which Wright allegedly struck him and stole his wallet and cellphone — leaving him with “face, mouth, and teeth injuries,” the lawsuit claims.

Joshua Hodges is suing Daunte Wright.

Wright had not been charged with carjacking and the attack is still under investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department. Authorities have not said if Wright was a suspect, according to KARE 11.

The lawsuit, meanwhile, is seeking at least $50,000 from Wright’s estate for “severe emotional distress and mental anguish.”

“Someone needs to answer for this,” Padden told the local station.

However, lawyers representing Wright’s family called the lawsuit a bogus attempt at “character assassination.”

“The audacity of this attorney is disappointing, and we implore members of the community to not be drawn in by these opportunistic efforts to tear down Daunte and hurt his family,” attorneys Ben Crump, Antonio Romanucci and Jeff Storms said in a statement.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Daunte Wright carjacked man weeks before he was killed by cop: lawsuit
https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/daunte-wright-carjacked-man-weeks-before-he-was-killed-lawsuit/

Joshua Hodges is suing Daunte Wright.

Soooooo.....not the upstanding, innocent young man that BLM and his parents are claiming Daunte Wright was.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline thundley4

More victims need to come forward and sue the estates of these thugs killed by cops. :)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Soooooo.....not the upstanding, innocent young man that BLM and his parents are claiming Daunte Wright was.

Nope, but that doesn't stop leftists from putting the perp up on a pedestal as a martyr.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Minnesota protest, looting sparked by Kim Potter sentencing in Daunte Wright case: reports
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-protest-looting-kim-potter-sentencing-daunte-wright

Protesters gathered in Minneapolis on Friday evening after the sentencing of former Minnesota police Officer Kim Potter to two years in prison in the April 2021 shooting death of Daunte Wright, according to reports.

In addition, reports were emerging on social media that looting was underway at stores in Brooklyn Center, the Minneapolis suburb where Potter worked and where the death of Wright occurred.

Brooklyn Center police confirmed that only a beauty supply store had been looted, but also said they’d received reports that other stores may have been struck as well, according to WCCO-TV of Minneapolis.

They are not happy that Kim Cooper got 2 years in prison. They are looting again.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

Minnesota protest, looting sparked by Kim Potter sentencing in Daunte Wright case: reports
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-protest-looting-kim-potter-sentencing-daunte-wright

They are not happy that Kim Cooper got 2 years in prison. They are looting again.
Shoot them
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020