Author Topic: Pelosi indicates openess to off shore drilling vote  (Read 2505 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Pelosi indicates openess to off shore drilling vote
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:09:50 AM »
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Monday night dropped her staunch opposition to a vote on offshore oil drilling in the House.

Republicans, reacting to high gas prices, have demanded a vote on additional oil exploration in the Outer Continental Shelf, where drilling is currently blocked by a moratorium. Until now, Pelosi (D-Calif.) has resisted the idea as a “hoax.” But in an interview on CNN’s Larry King Live, she indicated that she was open to a vote.

“They have this thing that says drill offshore in the protected areas,” Pelosi said. “We can do that. We can have a vote on that.”

She indicated such a vote would have to be part of a larger package that included other policies, like releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which she said could bring down prices in a matter of days.

“But it has to be part of something that says we want to bring immediate relief to the public and is not just a hoax on them,” Pelosi continued.

She even indicated that she might support a package that includes drilling. She said her decision on whether to support such legislation would depend on how the policies are packaged.

“It’s not excluded, let’s put it that way,” Pelosi said.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-indicates-openness-to-offshore-drilling-vote-2008-08-11.html

Uh huh.  :whatever:

Go read the whole thing.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Pelosi indicates openess to off shore drilling vote
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »

"She indicated such a vote would have to be part of a larger package that included other policies . . . "

"other policies", like 95% tax income oil company profits, a federal law requiring all cars manufactured in the US to get 100 mpg within 5 years, and the eradication of the internal combustion engine in 10 years.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
Why is she so stupid as to be handing this issue to the R's? The Democrats should win this election going away, and Pelosi, Reid and co. are doing everything they can to make it a horse race.

I was worried about this election. Maybe it won't be as bad for the R's as I feared.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
Why is she so stupid as to be handing this issue to the R's? The Democrats should win this election going away, and Pelosi, Reid and co. are doing everything they can to make it a horse race.

I was worried about this election. Maybe it won't be as bad for the R's as I feared.

in a word, I think "overconfidence" explains it.  they are obviously assuming that the dems will retain control, and obama will be in the white house.   now, that may well happen, but I think the best way to screw all that up is to act as though it is already a done deal.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »
It's amazing that the Dems can try to blame high oil on speculation (i.e. long-term futures) out of one side of their mouth, and pooh-pooh the idea that we should make a change which will directly affect long-term futures.  The lack of critical thinking ability in our one-sided MSM is truly depressing.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »
If the moratorium on offshore drilling has to be renewed, couldn't the Republicans fillibuster it when it comes up for a vote? 

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
It's amazing that the Dems can try to blame high oil on speculation (i.e. long-term futures) out of one side of their mouth, and pooh-pooh the idea that we should make a change which will directly affect long-term futures.  The lack of critical thinking ability in our one-sided MSM is truly depressing.

what blows my mind is that liberals have been bitching about "all the wars" America fights for oil. But they won't let us supply our own. The liberal have been bitching that America uses 25% of the worlds oil and supplies only 3%. But, they won't let us supply our own. Now that's just pathalogical.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »

what blows my mind is that liberals have been bitching about "all the wars" America fights for oil. But they won't let us supply our own. The liberal have been bitching that America uses 25% of the worlds oil and supplies only 3%. But, they won't let us supply our own. Now that's just pathalogical.

it's not pathological, it's just that they didn't state they're true motive... yes, they don't want us to go to war for oil OR to drill for our own.  They want us to not use oil at all, and if the economy is ruined, so be it.  if the country goes from the leader of the free world to a backwater, oh well.  they don't want us to be able to have the ability to do anything that requires technology.  they don't want the US to succeed, because we're mean and evil capitalists.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
If the moratorium on offshore drilling has to be renewed, couldn't the Republicans fillibuster it when it comes up for a vote? 

the moratorium will expire on october 1.  as I understand it, if congress does nothing, it simply goes away.  but more than likely, the mayhem that the mischievous gang of 10 is up to will garner enough support to pass, and the moratorium will expire, but there will be enough insanity in the compromise bill that the purpose of lifting the moratorium is defeated in the first place.  or, they will cram the renewal into a spending bill, or a continuing resolution to keep the government operating, or, heaven forfend, a defense appropriation bill (if there is one of those left for the current congress to consider), and dare republicans to vote against it.

or, I suppose if they are truly certain that the world will go democrat in novemeber, they could, I suppose, let it expire in october, and then simply renew it in the next congress when speaker pelosi, majority leader reid, and president obama are in power.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

the moratorium will expire on october 1.  as I understand it, if congress does nothing, it simply goes away.  but more than likely, the mayhem that the mischievous gang of 10 is up to will garner enough support to pass, and the moratorium will expire, but there will be enough insanity in the compromise bill that the purpose of lifting the moratorium is defeated in the first place.  or, they will cram the renewal into a spending bill, or a continuing resolution to keep the government operating, or, heaven forfend, a defense appropriation bill (if there is one of those left for the current congress to consider), and dare republicans to vote against it.

or, I suppose if they are truly certain that the world will go democrat in novemeber, they could, I suppose, let it expire in october, and then simply renew it in the next congress when speaker pelosi, majority leader reid, and president obama are in power.

they just said something on FNC about the Republicans intending to shut down the government in September, They have sent Pelosi word that they will not allow the moratorium to be reinstated!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »
Oh boy! Things could get interesting here in D.C. then.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

That's your damn senator WE.......................damn
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.