Author Topic: 8 years later - A look back at Bush's presidency  (Read 834 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
8 years later - A look back at Bush's presidency
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
George Walker Bush brought honor and dignity back to the White House — as he had promised on Aug. 3, 2000.

Today marks the 8th anniversary of Bush’s acceptance speech. 2000 seemed to be a meaningless election between 2 privileged sons of Washington bowers. The governor of Texas and the vice president were mediocre academics who entered politics too early, got knocked around and came back to succeed.

To those whom much had been given, little was expected.

In his acceptance speech, Bush talked of change, hope and progress.

Prosperity can be a tool in our hands used to build and better our country, or it can be a drug in our system dulling our sense of urgency, of empathy, of duty. Our opportunities are too great, our lives too short, to waste this moment.

So tonight, we vow to our nation we will seize this moment of American promise. We will use these good times for great goals.

We will confront the hard issues, threats to our national security, threats to our health and retirement security, before the challenges of our time become crises for our children.

And we will extend the promise of prosperity to every forgotten corner of this country: to every man and woman, a chance to succeed; to every child, a chance to learn; and to every family, a chance to live with dignity and hope.

For eight years the Clinton-Gore administration has coasted through prosperity. The path of least resistance is always downhill. But America’s way is the rising road. This nation is daring and decent and ready for change.

That last paragraph was perhaps the best review of the Clinton presidency: coasted.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2008/08/03/8-years-later/
Go read the whole thing. It's pretty interesting.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle