Interests > Hobbies

Building model cars

(1/1)

Patriot Guard Rider:
I had a TIA back in '08 and wanted something to do for therapy for my left arm/hand. I figured working with very small items combined with something I loved to do would do the trick. Surprisingly, my left hand was steadier than my right.

So, I built/painted these

Chris_:
Very nice!

Every time I consider buying a model car to put together, I remember that I have three full-sized ones in the driveway that still need work. :rofl:

Patriot Guard Rider:

--- Quote from: Chris_ on May 14, 2016, 02:09:21 PM ---Very nice!

Every time I consider buying a model car to put together, I remember that I have three full-sized ones in the driveway that still need work. :rofl:

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I had trouble painting the first two I did. They both came out with an "orange peel" effect. Each car had 3 coats of paint and a coat of clearcoat. Then I actually used car wax on them to get the shine. I didn't use chrome paint on it, but rather a chrome paper. Took a while to learn how to do that too. Paint must be absolutely dry when you do it. I used to have a completely full tote with all my paint, scalpels,  files, small containers of paint, balsa wood and so on. My ex-girlfriend threw them all out, along with the cars. She bought herself a can of Bitch-B-Gone.

I haven't built one in several years but I'm getting the itch again. It takes me about a month to build one.

SighLass:

--- Quote from: Patriot Guard Rider on May 14, 2016, 02:21:38 PM ---Thanks. I had trouble painting the first two I did. They both came out with an "orange peel" effect. Each car had 3 coats of paint and a coat of clearcoat. Then I actually used car wax on them to get the shine. I didn't use chrome paint on it, but rather a chrome paper. Took a while to learn how to do that too. Paint must be absolutely dry when you do it. I used to have a completely full tote with all my paint, scalpels,  files, small containers of paint, balsa wood and so on. My ex-girlfriend threw them all out, along with the cars. She bought herself a can of Bitch-B-Gone.

I haven't built one in several years but I'm getting the itch again. It takes me about a month to build one.

--- End quote ---

Wonder if the ex left any fingernail polish around how it would work? I love the smell of it anyway.

Ok, I like the smell of model glue and gas too, thus probable why I don't do model cars.

ADsOutburst:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but model cars are one of my hobbies too.

I'm currently building a 1/12 model of the Mustang from Gone in 60 Seconds. It's subscription-based. I get a couple of shipments a month, each containing some component of the model to assemble.

I also have a fairly good sized collection of 1/18 and 1/64 scale cars. I'm told one of my relatives also loved models, and I saw some of the ones he built. They were in my basement, but I don't know if I have them anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version