Author Topic: The Great Santana, Star Southpaw  (Read 1041 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
The Great Santana, Star Southpaw
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
From the Wall Street Journal, of all places, on Thursday.

SPORTS MAY 21, 2009
The Great Santana, Star Southpaw

By ALLEN BARRA

The hottest party of the year in Tovar, Venezuela, is called "El Cy Youngazo," which roughly translates as "The Great Cy Young." It's held in December, and the host and No. 1 attraction is Johan Santana, the town's native son and the New York Mets' star southpaw.

It is, as one Latin journalist describes it, "A festival of all things Venezuelan, all things baseball, all things Johan."

There are musical performances, free toys, and beverages courtesy of Cervecería Regional, the second-largest beer producer in the country and the proud "sponsor" (as they put it) of Mr. Santana. For those who prefer wine, there is Santana's Select for sale -- proceeds support the pitcher's charitable foundation. There are also bodyguards provided by Venezuela's president, Hugo Chávez, who is well aware of what would happen if any member of the Santana clan -- which includes his wife, Yasmile, whom Johan has known since he was 9 years old; their two daughters, Jasmily and Jasmine, and their baby son, Johan Jr. -- were kidnapped.

The way things are going, this year's party is likely to be a real fiesta. Currently leading the National League in earned run average, second in strikeouts, and tied for second in wins, Mr. Santana is the odds-on favorite to win a Cy Young trophy -- the third of his career -- this season. This would make him, at age 30, a lock for baseball's Hall of Fame, where every pitcher who has won more than two Cy Youngs has wound up.

The Cy Young Award is, of course, given annually to the best pitcher in each league, and Mr. Santana is the National League's best. He is probably the best pitcher in either league, although there are some American League chauvinists who argue the case for Kansas City Royals right-hander Zack Greinke, 7-1 with an ERA of 0.60 as we go to press. But though Mr. Greinke has been slightly better than Mr. Santana so far this season, he's 41-46 (a won-lost percentage of .471) in five major-league seasons and has never finished a season leading his league in any key pitching category.

I wouldn't say that Greinke is in Santana's league--yet.  Roy Halliday is.

The link is:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124286232839741221.html
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: The Great Santana, Star Southpaw
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
HIs start last night torqued me for the 3 2/3rds innings I watched it.  When he walked in the tying run in the fourth, I got disgusted and went to bed.  Shouldn't have.  He got the next guy out, and then went on to finish with 6 IP, 11 strikeouts, but 6 walks.  Yes, he got the win.  So, Johan Santana now has seven wins, which is the most in the National League.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.