Author Topic: DUmmies Bitch About Edumacation  (Read 1027 times)

Offline VivisMom

DUmmies Bitch About Edumacation
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3277209

El Pinko (1000+ posts)      Tue May-13-08 01:16 AM
Original message
WFAA: "75% of the seniors...can't read above an 8th grade level, and others can't add/subtract"
 Advertisements [?]
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/s...

Some DISD students not ready for college
06:02 PM CDT on Saturday, May 10, 2008
By CYNTHIA IZAGUIRRE / WFAA-TV

DALLAS — It's May, which means thousands of high school seniors across North Texas can almost taste it: their diploma. This month 7,500 Dallas ISD seniors are expected to walk across the stage and make their families proud. But what if we told you that 75 percent of the seniors headed to Dallas community colleges can't read above an 8th grade level, and others can't add or subtract?

“This percentage is much too high," said Dr. Joan Rodriguez, who teaches developmental reading at El Centro. In her upper level course, where we met Hollis, most students read at an 8th to 10th grade level, struggling to comprehend what’s in some newspaper articles.

“I get so frustrated," Hollis said. "Don't know why I wasn't taught those skills before coming here and having to be at this point in my life and start all over. It’s been very challenging." ”It's very frustrating ... for the students who come in here who say: ‘Wait a minute, you're asking me to do all this? I don't know how to do this. I don't have enough time to do this. I'm not used to doing this. I don't want to do it,'" Dr. Rodriguez said.

The sad part is, I think 75% is a low estimate. I had many students who couldn't read or write...and I was at a magnet school!

Of course, the DUmmies don't get it.

Hannah Bell (1000+ posts)       Tue May-13-08 03:14 AM
Response to Original message
3. The history of our leaders telling us our children are inadequate
 goes back to the dawn of the 20th century.

Usually in the run-up to some rearrangement of public education.

In this case, I believe it is to support the move to vouchers & privatization.

How many times do you have to see it before you get it?

They're conning you.

To the extent there are real problems, they're not specific to schooling.

The solutions they propose, being specific to schooling, won't fix the problems.

The solutions that could fix the problems won't be discussed, let alone instituted.

:mental:

Hannah Bell (1000+ posts)       Tue May-13-08 03:54 AM
Response to Reply #5
6. twas ever thus.
 Edited on Tue May-13-08 04:00 AM by Hannah Bell
a nation at risk, 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nation_at_Risk

sputnik scare, 1960s

http://www.nas.edu/sputnik/bybee2.htm

when i was young, it was my generation that was inadequate. when you see the scam a few times, you stop buying it.

Scam? Or maybe the fact that public schools are overrun with moonbats like greenbriar that is causing the steep decline in literate HS grads?

Fumesucker (538 posts)      Tue May-13-08 07:20 AM
Response to Reply #6
10. Ronald Reagan, GHW Bush, GW Bush..
 Evidence that our nation is ignorant..

All you have to do is look at the choices the people have made over the last thirty years and it becomes evident that something is wrong with our educational system.

A truly educated public would not have made the glaring obvious mistake of electing GW Bush ...... TWICE!

And don't tell me the elections were stolen, they shouldn't have been anywhere near close enough to be stolen.

BDS rears its ugly head.

Bandit  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-13-08 09:37 AM
Response to Reply #3
13. What is different with the public school system now than in Abe Lincoln's time?
 People that went to school in those days actually got an education. What is the school system doing now that is so radically different than back then? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, Bandit was serious.  :thatsright:

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-13-08 05:38 AM
Response to Original message
8. Four words: Leave No Child Behind.
 Way to go fellas!

And who penned that masterpiece of legislation?? Hmmm???

Let me refresh your memory.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: DUmmies Bitch About Edumacation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »
The US spends most per student in the world yet ranks 27th in achievement. Why would that be? The NEA that's why. Give Americans a choice in where their children get educated and watch the institution improve overnight.

But that won't happen any time soon.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »
Do the DUmbasses really think that the educational system is run by conservatives?

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
I was an education major for a while in college.  At the time the average reading level for adults was 6th grade.  I am very surprised that it is 8th to 10th grade levels now.  I have one kid in 2nd and one in 4th and they both read several years advanced for their grades.  Maybe that is because I am involved in their education and don't leave it up to a teacher who may or may not even have a degree in education.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Well, when they populous decided it was the school job to provide breakfast lunch, before school care, after school care,instruction on manners, and "guidance", the emphasis on actual learning was lost.

Society wanted "well rounded" students, wanted the school to teach things that in years past have been the PARENT's responsiblility.   And don't forget the whole lieberal idea of "Self Esteem".   I'm not surprised in these results at all.