Author Topic: Obamaite cali licking wounds, thinks about something else  (Read 887 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Obamaite cali licking wounds, thinks about something else
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:00:47 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3200208

Oh my.

The Obamaite:

cali  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 06:12 AM
Original message

When was the last time the economy was so bad during a presidential election year?

Because I think you'd have to go back 76 years. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's been a more recent year when the economy was so devastating for so many people. If so, I'm sure I'll be schooled. And by November, it's going to be considerably worse.

I dunno.

I think we were in a recession the last quarter of the presidency of the Impeached One; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

JI7  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 06:14 AM
Response to Original message

1. 1992

Oh, yes, the Dan-Rather-created recession.

Taxmyth  (846 posts) Thu Apr-24-08 06:27 AM

2. 1992 comes immediately to mind

but even that wasn't as bad as things are now. I see it as being the rise in fuel prices causing people the most damage, both at the pump and at the market.

cali  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 06:42 AM
Response to Reply #3

4. the economy was no where near as bad in 1992

not even close.

Well then, why were the Democrats insisting in 1992 it was bad?

JI7  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 07:02 AM

6. it is worse this time than 1992

because in 1992 we didn't have a losing war to deal with. so even the problems we had were easier to deal with without that hanging over us. and the cold war had come to an end so we had more to invest in towards the domestic economy.

Finally, one primitive says the unspeakable, but fudges at the end.

MiniMe  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 07:09 AM

7. I was going to say 1980

The economy was pretty bad under Jimmy. But I don't know if it was been this bad. Thnkgs were exensive, runaway inflation, and high gas prices. One difference is that at least there were jobs back then. Shipping jobs out of the country makes this one worse I think.

Frank Cannon  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 08:09 AM
Response to Reply #7

10. You are correct

I remember the gas lines being pretty bad and that people were concerned about inflation, but there were plenty of decent jobs around and NO ****ing war going on at the time.

QuestionAll  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 07:39 AM

9. 1980 was similar in some respects.

cali  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-24-08 08:19 AM
Response to Reply #9

11. yeah, but it wasn't as bad.

this is shaping up to be the worst economy in a presidential election year in over 7 decades. And that's going to have a big impact.

franksolich thinks the Obamaite cali should go to one of those free libraries in Vermont, and check out a couple of books on economics and history; just basic elementary simple ones with easy-to-understand words, in which the Obamaite cali might be illuminated that 2008 is nothing like 1932 or 1980, not even close.
apres moi, le deluge