Author Topic: Truck Stop Bouncy  (Read 3207 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Truck Stop Bouncy
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
Truck Stop Bouncy
Not the most original of bouncies, but considering this is actually about the Obama Economy it is worth a gander.

(a madhound production)

MadHound  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-25-11 08:22 PM
Original message
Late night at a truck stop
 A couple of months ago I took a job at a local truck stop in order to make a bit of cash while I'm trying to find a teaching job.

Week in, week out, I see the misery that is creeping throughout this country. Some general observations, and specific instances follow.

First off, people are desperate and on the move, trying to find work anywhere they can. One of the first families that stood out came through shortly after I started. They were in a beat up old(fifty plus old) bus that they had converted to a camper. This was their home, containing all of their belongings, hopes, and dreams, such as they were. A silver beast, it was running on its last legs, doing good to make fifty five, sixty mph with a strong tailwind. Mom, Dad, two small kids, heading out to Texas and the Southwest, looking for jobs. I watched them go with sadness, hoping that the bus will make it and carry them to a better future. The modern day Joad's.

Secondly, people, even dumb redneck truckers, aren't as dumb as we like to believe around here. I've heard more than one trucker come in and, after talking awhile, mention that one solution to this economic mess we're in is to end these wars, cut the military, and start looking out for the folks here at home. As far as fuel goes, many, if not most, rightfully blame rising fuel prices on two things, oil speculators and the weakening dollar.

Third, our economy is going to go deeper into the toilet as prices continue to rise. I see people carefully putting in a certain amount, a gallon, a couple of gallons worth of gas. I see truckers coasting in on fumes because we're the cheapest fuel place for hundreds of miles. In fact one trucker blew it, and we had to bring fuel out to him, twenty miles away, because he thought he could make it.

Compounding this, tourism is already taking a hit. We're a major stop on the way to Missouri's largest tourist destination, the Lake of the Ozarks. Already folks who normally flock to the lake every weekend, every other weekend, are deciding to stay home. People aren't bringing their boats to the Lake, and with fuel so expensive, they're going to stay home, not making the three hour drive to the Lake.

Fourth, people are desperate. Drive-offs are becoming more common as fuel prices rise. Please, don't do a drive off, the only people you're hurting is your local station owner. They making just a few pennies profit on each gallon, and they don't like rising fuel prices either, it is killing their business. More people simply come in, get gas, and drive off. Most of a station's profit is derived from people coming in, getting a drink, something to eat, etc.

Fifth, more companies are soon going out of business due to high oil prices. One example, had a nursery company driver come in this morning at 4:30, fuel up, and when he went to pay with the company card, it was declined. Apparently this isn't the first time this has happened in the recent past. He finally got a hold of his boss two hours later, and after going through another card that was declined, he finally found one that worked. I felt like telling the driver that he should be worried about his next paycheck, but I'm sure he already is thinking along those lines.

Sixth, and final, trucking companies are going to start charging fuel surcharges soon, if they aren't already. That means that prices are going to climb even further, since most goods are shipped by trucks. Sadly, more pain is on the way for all of us.

That's just part of overnight life at a truckstop, and it is not pointing towards anything good.

Refresh | +245 Recommendations

Link:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x959535

Check the number of recs.  I liked Steinbeck but really if you put Joad in a post at over there it has to be good for extra recs.

Note too, this is a bobo-licious thread.  I am not bringing over comments, many of the usual favorites are there.  

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:20:39 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Truck Stop Bouncy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
A couple of months ago I took a job at a local truck stop in order to make a bit of cash while I'm trying to find a teaching job.

Sixth, and final, trucking companies are going to start charging fuel surcharges soon, if they aren't already.
I look at freight bills all day.  Those fuel surcharges have been on each bill, since 2008, DUmmie.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:29:38 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »
The DUmmy is likely one of those tweaker chicks who roam from rig to rig looking for a date. A key part of the democrat base.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »
Mole alert, mole alert.  Suit up and get in before the lock!!

RegieRocker  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-26-11 08:36 AM
Response to Original message
42. Truckers: most are republicans and yes those are dumb as rocks. Fuel
 surcharges have been around for a very long time. The reason for costs of goods rising so much is J.I.T. (just in time). Goods now are manufactured and stored in warehouses owned by a third party. They make money storing the goods for manufacturer. This is the main reason costs have skyrocketed. Sometimes goods are stepped on more than once (different warehouses before final destination). So many things are happening that people are just not aware of. It's true that fuel costs cause a increase in final retail price but it's pennies on the dollar, not a 50 % or more increase. Packaging believe it our not is a huge cost for the reasons I stated above. Hope this helps.
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

TBF  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-26-11 12:32 PM
Response to Reply #42
76. This post is what is wrong with the democratic party.
 How in the world do you convince folks to vote for you when you constantly degrade and condescend to them? I grew up blue collar, know plenty of truck drivers, and they really are not that stupid. Many "low-information" voters understand the issues just fine and reject the elite attitude.

There is a saying "People may forget what you said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel".  

Bolded for your enjoyment.  When the truth starts getting posted which such wild abandon can a lock or banishment be far  behind?? :n:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Jason

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
bobbolink   (1000+ posts)             Tue Apr-26-11 02:28 AM
Response to Original message
18. Thank you for illustrating very clearly what the fuel prices are doing to so many of us.

Yet, there are still so many "progressives" who want to see even HIGHER fuel prices.

MEAN. Just MEAN.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you will send more reports as long as you are there.

progressiveinaction (41 posts)           Tue Apr-26-11 11:54 PM
Response to Reply #18
127. Exactly.

Especially mean considering that poor people probably don't have the most fuel efficient cars either.

I doubt an 86' Buick gets great gas mileage.

:rotf:  OK, who's mole is this?

Offline Reality vs DU

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
 :-)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »
Whoever owns that mole needs one H5 for the post, and another for that brilliant name, "progressiveinaction."   :rotf:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Seems like PIA has been around a lot longer than double-digit posts.  He sure does a good job of poking the hive. :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
 :lmao: At the Buick comment.

I do think that truckers will slow down just a bit on buying fuel since they have to fill 60 gal tanks or more. Depends on the truck.

Especially if they top $5 bucks a gallon. That adds up real quick...

I don't get much time to chat with the truckers since I spend the majority of my time in the kitchen, but one hears things. Especially with all the gossipy bullshit at that place. Believe me.

(Though, most of it is members gossiping about other freaking members... :whatever:)

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline true_blood

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
MadHound  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-25-11 08:22 PM
Original message
Sixth, and final, trucking companies are going to start charging fuel surcharges soon, if they aren't already. That means that prices are going to climb even further, since most goods are shipped by trucks. Sadly, more pain is on the way for all of us.
And the communist in the white mosque is saying what about it?!?! What's he doing about it?!
Oh yeah, that's right, he's making things worse. You can thank the imposter for your woes, you DUmmies.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
And the communist in the white mosque is saying what about it?!?! What's he doing about it?!
Oh yeah, that's right, he's making things worse. You can thank the imposter for your woes, you DUmmies.
He's laughing at us, that's what he's doing.

"You have ten kids?  You need a hybrid van."  Yuk, yuk.  He's a regular Andy Capp.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
bobbolink   (1000+ posts)             Tue Apr-26-11 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #88
101. Thank you for making it clear that there ARE "progressive" Bigots. AND, their targets are usually

poor and homeless people, because we don't enjoy the protection of groups like NAACP, NOW, Anti-Defamation League, etc. So, the free-floating rage in this country, which so many "progressives" cannot look into themselves enough to see, seeks a target, and we are the path of least resistance.

You know, kinda like BULLIES.

I appreciate that you saw this, and are willing to speak to it. It isn't uncommon.   And the emotional effect on us is devastating.

That said, I will now say that by far the MOST common experience, and the most *damaging*, is SILENCE.

When you reallyy look at just how little is said about poverty and homelessness in any of the "progressive" media, and forums like DU, you can see the reality of the situation, and understand the damage done to us, PLUS the atmosphere that is created which says that the cuts to us don't matter... we aren't politically important.

That SILENCE and the results go against all traditional thought and belief, including religious, moral, civil rights, and democracy itself.

I hope you will continue to speak out on this issue... we NEED... no, we are DESPERATE for voices like yours!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
:lmao: at progressiveinaction, not only for the Buick comment but because progressiveinaction can mean 1 of 2 things, it can either be PIA (Pain In the Ass) or it can be a play on words such as progressive INACTION.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »

:rotf:  OK, who's mole is this?

LOL, I caught that as well. :cheersmate:

Er, does anyone besides me think bobolink is an awful(ly) easy lay?  She posts that stupid You Rock sign every time someone kisses her behind.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Er, does anyone besides me think bobolink is an awful(ly) easy lay? 
Oh, God, please! Even stevenumbers would hesitate. Oh, he'd do her for sure, but only after a brief hesitation.
And a big glob of Vick's Vap-O-Rub on his upper lip.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »
God Himself couldn't make a clothespin big enough to cover the stench. :hammer:

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
Oh, God, please! Even stevenumbers would hesitate. Oh, he'd do her for sure, but only after a brief hesitation.
And a big glob of Vick's Vap-O-Rub on his upper lip.

No no, what's that gunk morgue workers, or CSI's use below their nose for the stench of death? That'd be more like it. I'm sure I'd still throw up in my mouth a bit if I  even happened to get NEAR a naded, "spread out" bobbo... :fuelfire:

I also believe the term "low tide" can't even begin to cover it.

And Boudicca...unto you I say...yuck!!

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »

Er, does anyone besides me think bobolink is an awful(ly) easy lay?  She posts that stupid You Rock sign every time someone kisses her behind.
Easy lay????

So is my left hand...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
Haha, yeah. "Rosey Palm & her five friends" also smell better even if they ain't had a bath for a couple weeks.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:38 PM »
Easy lay????

So is my left hand...
...and I'll bet you're right handed, so that takes a coupla beers and some sweet talking?

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
...and I'll bet you're right handed, so that takes a coupla beers and some sweet talking?
Plus five dollars...really weird how it works out...would require three paragraphs to explain it all...suffice it to say...be happy I do NOT need pics to `Splain it all... :-) :tongue:
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 03:11:47 AM »

Why do you think Walmart bags have smiley faces on them?   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
More people simply come in, get gas, and drive off.

Funny, I haven't seen a "cash or dash" pump in 15 years or more.  I used to work at a Diamond Shamrock (Lakewood, CO) for a few months back in the day (1986-87)  I used to have a driveoff maybe once a week because the manager wouldn't implement a policy of cash customers must pre-pay.  The other DS's I filled in at did have the policy and they had ZERO driveoffs.  Needless to say, that place I worked at on the corner of Colfax and Kipling has long since ceased to exist in its present form.

Seriously, when's the last time anyone just walked up to a gas pump in a town of any significant size in America and just started pumping without putting in a card or prepaying cash?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »
Yeah, you're right.  What operator in their right mind these days would have non-controlled pumps?

PIA.... :lmao: :cheersmate:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
progressiveinaction  (41 posts) Tue Apr-26-11 07:54 PM
Response to Reply #18
127. Exactly.

Especially mean considering that poor people probably don't have the most fuel efficient cars either.

I doubt an 86' Buick gets great gas mileage.

TheCanadianLiberal (118 posts) Tue Apr-26-11 09:00 PM
Response to Reply #127
136. They get ok mileage...

About 20mpg however, I'm sure many poor people don't have the cleanest cars which would mean there is extra crap adding weight and reducing economy.