Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Defending Deadbeat Voters  (Read 1276 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmies Discuss Defending Deadbeat Voters
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
babsbunny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 08:33 AM
Original message
Ohio bill would require photo ID at the polls (here we go.......)
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 08:19 AM

Associated Press
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A state House panel is considering a bill that would require Ohio voters to show a photo ID before they can cast a ballot.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x722706
You have to consider practicality here. This ID requirement is just unreasonable. When a bus chartered by SEIU, or NEA, or NPR, or AFL/CIO with say, seventy people on board stops at ten Cuyahoga County precincts, each of these people have to vote under ten different names. Well, the union can take care of that, supply each of them with the name for each precinct, and a letter ID. But if you require photos, it makes the job unreasonably expensive and difficult. Especially since a lot of the bus riders will have been recruited off the sidewalk on the morning of Election Day.

Bluerthanblue  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 08:36 AM
Response to Original message
1. same thing has been proposed here in NH.

It's a concerted effort-

DUmmy Bluerthanblue means "coordinated" effort, but so what? The smartest person on all the internets didn't know the meaning of "parenteral".

zbdent  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 08:43 AM
Response to Reply #1
2. why is it that, if getting something done (which nominally might be considered a victory for a Dem/Libs) took forever, was fought tooth and nail by Republicans/Cons, was attacked in the media, was considered "rammed down our throats" (by the "liberally-biased media"), since it had Obama's backing ...

and yet, the Republicans have done more damage to this country in their first 100 days of power, and nobody in the "liberally-biased media" calls it what it is ... RAMMING THEIR CRAP DOWN OUR THROATS???

Deep13  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 08:51 AM
3. Gottah keep poor people away from the polls somehow.
Fail to give them the day off? Check!

Disenfranchise felons? Check!

Abolish Acorn? Check!

Purge the registration lists? Check!

Photo ID requirement? Working on it.

Poll taxes? Literacy tests? Warrant checks? Ending secret ballots? Give us some time.

And the problem here is......?

Scuba  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 09:42 AM
5. Actually the bill is more explicit than that....
 ...it has to be a picture of a white male in front of property he owns, preferably a McMansion in a gated community.

Sweet! Now that right there is a change I can believe in.

mod mom  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 09:46 AM
6. OSU Election Law Prof: bill about DISENFRANCHISEMENT
Ohio's New Disenfranchisement Bill
Daniel P. Tokaji
Professor of Law; Associate Director, Election Law @ Moritz
Moritz College of Law
In 2004, Ohio became infamous for making it difficult to vote and have one’s vote counted. Much of the criticism was directed at then-Secretary of State Ken Blackwell. Remember his directive to reject registration forms on less than 80-pound paper weight?

Now, Ohio House Republicans are attempting to go further than Blackwell ever dared. In an obvious attempt to gain an advantage in the 2012 presidential election, they are attempting to rush through a bill (HB 159) that would make it more difficult for eligible citizens to have their votes counted. Ohio already has a tough voter ID law, but the proposed bill would make the burden on eligible citizens more onerous, requiring that in-person voters present one of four specified forms of government-issued photo identification.

What’s so bad about voter ID? The basic problem is that many eligible citizens don’t have the types of ID that the bill would require. While it’s hard to say exactly how many will be discouraged from voting, we do know that some segments of the population will be especially hard hit – particularly young, elderly, disabled, and minority voters. These groups are much less likely to have the types of ID that Ohio’s new bill would mandate.
That deal about 80-pound paper was specifically written into the law by a democrat legislature decades earlier. Blackwell was sworn to enforce the law. The rest of this whine is the usual liberal garbage of "Disaster! Disaster! Women and minorities hardest hit!"

Beacool  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 09:50 AM
7. I don't see the problem.
What's wrong with being asked to present some form of ID when going to vote?

A valid driver's license should suffice. For those who do not drive, most DMVs issue ID cards. Voting is for citizens only, it shouldn't be that hard to prove citizenship.

mod mom  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 10:00 AM
Response to Reply #7
8. Did you read the election law commentary saying it disenfranchises voters?
Here is a summary to help you better understand:

1. A Georgia analysis showed that 20% of all people over 60 and 35% over 75 don't have a driver's license;

2. U Wisconsin study in Milwaukee County found that 53% of Af-Am and 57% of Hispanics had no license vs 15% whites. The disparity was worse in the 18-24 age group: 74% Af-Am are without a license as are 66% Hispanic vs. 29% whites.

3. The 2000 census data provides evidence in terms of vehicle ownership in Cleveland and East Cleveland, where 32% of Af-Am households did not have a vehicle. Across the county, ownership of a vehicle is closely related to household income.

All these people will find it exceptionally difficult to vote. This bill is worse than a poll tax, it is an effective bar to hundreds of thousands.

I already liked this bill. Now I love it.

Beacool  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 10:09 AM
Response to Reply #11
13. How do these people cash a check without an ID?
Please, it's not that big of a deal to obtain an ID and the cost is low. 

RC  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 10:31 AM
Response to Reply #13
18. Maybe you need to get out in the real world for a while.
To cash a pay check, you need a job. With unemployment rates up to 50% in some places, it is kinda hard to be spending money for a photo ID. And that is that is the idea.

One of the few flaws in our near-perfect constitutional system is allowing deadbeats to vote.

Beacool  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 11:31 AM
Response to Reply #18
21. OK, maybe I live a sheltered life.
But I've had some form of ID my entire life. As a child I've had a birth certificate and a passport. As an adult I've also had a driver's license since I was 19. I don't get how someone born in this country doesn't have some form of ID that proves who they are, with one caveat, I can understand someone who is homeless or has lost everything in a fire or natural disaster not having an ID. 

Snoutport  (942 posts)        Wed Mar-23-11 11:49 AM
Response to Reply #21
23. me too...but, it does make sense...you can't vote unless you pay for a license
can't afford a license? then you can't vote.

csziggy  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 01:07 PM
Response to Reply #28
36. But the US Constitution does not require an ID
So how do these strict "Constitutionalists" justify requiring a picture ID to vote?

In fact my 9th grade Civics teachers taught us that one of the major advantages of the US over the Soviet Union was that US citizens did not have to carry ID just to walk around or to vote.

Forget about homeless people - without proof of place of residence, they cannot get either a driver's license or an ID card, so they are disenfranchised already. And students, whose living quarters are a dorm room more than six months a year, are being disenfranchised. Any other citizen who lives in a location more than six months a year is allowed to register to vote, why are students a special category?

Many of these battles are ones I thought had been won decades ago but the GOP is wasting time and money bringing them back for another round.

Did anyone learn in civics class that we had an advantage over the Soviets because we don't need an ID to vote? I didn't have the advantages of forced busing or unionized civics teachers, or maybe I just slept through that part. All I really remember about civics is that i always got an A without cracking the book.

11 Bravo  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 04:42 PM
Response to Reply #13
59. Well, princess, here's how it works in some parts of the District of Columbia.
There are scores of check-cashing establishments who will, for any where from 10%-20% of the value of the check, cash a payroll check. No ID required. Sound fair to you? 

That's so you can cash stolen checks, and split the take with the check-cashing crook.

badtoworse (600 posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #8
35. I'm all for anything that would help reduce voter fraud
The answer to your issues is to make it easier to get an ID Card rather than leave the system vulnerable to fraud. I worry about fraud with electronic voting, but I also worry that people can vote multiple times and that ineligible people are voting.

csziggy  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 01:11 PM
Response to Reply #35
38. Name some actual voter fraud cases that have been proved in court
Just a few, please. I see the GOP talking points trotting this out every time we protest restrictive procedures for limiting voters, but I have yet to see a real voter fraud case proven in court. Plenty of allegations, no convictions. So if you know of any convictions, please, PLEASE post a link to the case. I want to see how they got away with it.

Hard to prove when you have no ID requirement.

badtoworse (600 posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 04:36 PM
Response to Reply #38
58. Diebold was never convicted.
But it's taken for granted here that they rigged the voting machines. We need the process to be sqeaky clean so there is not even the appearance of wrongdoing. The fact that it is not prosecuted means nothing. The claims are usually brought by the losing side and it is not in the winner's interest to pursue it. Isn't that what happened with Diebold?

It drives them crazy that they can't figure out how Rove and Diebold managed to pull it off! And it has to be doubly frustrating to realize that they were only ten lousy dollars away from blowing the top off the whole scheme.

Obamanaut  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 01:52 PM
Response to Reply #8
42. My MIL lives in a nursing home, is 95, has not driven in 25 years, has no
license - but has a photo id card issued by the state many years ago.
Not driving does not keep one from having an ID that meets the requirement.

Mail-in ballots are available to people without vehicles. Prior to the last election, applications for such were sent to registered voters well in advance of the election.

All these difficulties are not really difficult at all.

DUmmy Obamanaut was one of the ringleaders of the swarm of "bullies" who drove know-it-all nadin out of the DUmp. Hmmmm.....better keep an eye on him.

Offline thundley4

Re: DUmmies Discuss Defending Deadbeat Voters
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »

It's a concerted effort-

This was needed to counter George Soros's Secretary of State project.  His goal was to get SOS's elected in states that sympathized with the leftist agenda and make it easier for DemRats to win.

http://www.secstateproject.org/

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
DUmmie Snoutport is quite the up-and-comer at the DUmp, she has been posting the kind of stuff that they eat up lately. I suspect she may be mole, hell she might even be my mole.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:32 AM »
You have to love the insane reasoning of the DUmp...with no proof ever all elections lost have been stolen but any measures to ensure valid eligibility to vote are met with outrage.

For all you lurking DUmmies the truth of Ohio in 2004 was dems tried to have anyone show up at a voting location and be able to cast a provisional ballot if they didn`t have eligibility proof.
These would then be determined later if valid or not.

It was a recipe for fraud and chaos that was struck down thankfully.
As always it was the left attempting to game the electoral system.

http://archive.redstate.com/story/2004/10/23/184145/27

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:41 AM »
csziggy  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 01:07 PM
Response to Reply #28
36. But the US Constitution does not require an ID
So how do these strict "Constitutionalists" justify requiring a picture ID to vote?

You also have no right to vote in a federal election.

Quite frankly, I think we need to start limiting who votes for the President and get this country back to being a Republic.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline redwhit

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
Am I missing something here?

Gottah keep poor people away from the polls somehow.

I've NEVER had a whole day off to vote.  Actually, the only consideration I remember is a boss who let us come in an hour late because he wanted to vote for Clinton (I think he had a date after work).  I was making $8ish an hour then so I sure qualified as poor.

I don't know how it works where they live but for some of us there are these things called districts with polling places conveniently located near one's home.  And it's open for a really long time, too.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »

Nope, that's how DUmmies think. Takes me less than 10 minutes to walk into the church and vote. At lunch. DUmmies are always looking at ways to get out of work. They're the ones that would starve in the days when everyone had to contribute.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »

I've NEVER had a whole day off to vote.  Actually, the only consideration I remember is a boss who let us come in an hour late because he wanted to vote for Clinton (I think he had a date after work).  I was making $8ish an hour then so I sure qualified as poor.

I don't know how it works where they live but for some of us there are these things called districts with polling places conveniently located near one's home.  And it's open for a really long time, too.

Federal law says your employer has to give you at least two hours.  IOW, if the polls are open from 7 AM-8 PM and he's got you on a 12-hour shift, he will cut  you loose an hour (or more) early or let you come in late.  But since most of you ****ing DUmmies don't even have jobs, or at best ones that involve fryolators, it's a non-issue for you.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
This was needed to counter George Soros's Secretary of State project.  His goal was to get SOS's elected in states that sympathized with the leftist agenda and make it easier for DemRats to win.

http://www.secstateproject.org/

It's a concerted effort-

There's a reason for that, DUmmie.  NH is one of the few states which still allows same-day registration.  Guess what happens in Keene, Durham, and elsewhere with lots of college kiddies?  And let's not even get started on all the polling places in Hampton, Portsmouth, Nashua, Derry, etc., just off I-93 and I-95 with all the Masshole plates.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline redwhit

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
Takes me less than 10 minutes to walk into the church and vote.

A church?  Oppression!  What about the separation of church and state!@?!?!?!@^$&*(@^$

:-)

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »
Federal law says your employer has to give you at least two hours.
  I didn't know that.  Seems excessive.  I always just pop in before work, then I scoot off to work.  What's the big deal?  The polls are open from 6 at the crack of dawn to 9 at bedtime where I live.

The DUmmy wants a FULL days off work (paid, too) to vote.  Anything less in an absolute outrage!!!!

The libs always start screaming about the ID, and it has ever been thus.  The hyperbole (millions and millions of people don't have ID and can't afford it!!!) has rendered the argument weak.  You simply can't live life without some form of ID, unless you're completely off the grid.  How many people are we talking about, and are they of sound mind?

BTW, in deep, deep blue Connecticut, you have to show ID. 

Offline redwhit

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
Federal law says your employer has to give you at least two hours.  IOW, if the polls are open from 7 AM-8 PM and he's got you on a 12-hour shift, he will cut  you loose an hour (or more) early or let you come in late.  But since most of you ****ing DUmmies don't even have jobs, or at best ones that involve fryolators, it's a non-issue for you.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

BTW - I'm not a DUmmie

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
Thanks, I didn't know that.

BTW - I'm not a DUmmie

I know you're not, but you're still a Masshole...  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Offline redwhit

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
I know you're not, but you're still a Masshole...  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Guilty!   :-)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
Not sure if it's nationwide or not.
Down this way, we have "early" voting.
Polls open a week before election day.
I swing by before or after work.
Longest I've waited was five minutes.
There was a group of youngish kids trying to vote.
None had registered in the precinct, and none had ID.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »
Deep13  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-23-11 08:51 AM
3. Gottah keep poor people away from the polls somehow.

Disenfranchise felons? Check!

Abolish Acorn? Check!

Purge the registration lists? Check!

Photo ID requirement? Working on it.

Poll taxes? Literacy tests? Warrant checks? Ending secret ballots? Give us some time.

Wait 'til they see the next requirement for voting rights that the VRWC has cooked up:

There'd never be another Dhimmi'Rat elected again.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:51:56 AM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline jukin

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
Me thinkith the DUmbshits doth protest too much.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
There's a reason for that, DUmmie.  NH is one of the few states which still allows same-day registration.  Guess what happens in Keene, Durham, and elsewhere with lots of college kiddies?  And let's not even get started on all the polling places in Hampton, Portsmouth, Nashua, Derry, etc., just off I-93 and I-95 with all the Masshole plates.

That is one of things that Libs fight for that is just incomprehensible.  Why on earth would same day registration be necessary.  Is it really do difficult to complete a registration form a few weeks earlier?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Federal law says your employer has to give you at least two hours. 
State law, not federal, I believe. And in the state I'm familiar with, it only applies if your work schedule makes it impossible to vote otherwise, which affects very few people.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »
State law, not federal, I believe. And in the state I'm familiar with, it only applies if your work schedule makes it impossible to vote otherwise, which affects very few people.

:thatsright:

D'OH!

http://www.toolkit.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?nid=02-075voting

ETA: But yes, polls in almost all states are open to where voting is pretty much a given, unless you were like me and out of state last November, in which case, it's pathetically easy to get an absentee ballot if you want one.

Scoobs even watched me fill it out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:14:26 AM by NHSparky »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Not sure if it's nationwide or not.
Down this way, we have "early" voting.
Polls open a week before election day.
I swing by before or after work.
Longest I've waited was five minutes.
There was a group of youngish kids trying to vote.
None had registered in the precinct, and none had ID.

Not only do we have early voting, but our early voting includes Saturdays.  I always vote on a Saturday, and then I don't have to worry with missing work.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
I'm not a fan of big government - but one program I would support is a free photo ID card to anyone once they verify citizenship in one of the usual ways.

It wouldn't cost much.
It could be used by the citizen where photo ID is required.
It totally eviscerates the left's argument as far as voting is concerned.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
If DUmmies don't have the full day off how are they supposed to precinct hop so as to vote often like they've been told to do?  :whistling:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
I'm not a fan of big government - but one program I would support is a free photo ID card to anyone once they verify citizenship in one of the usual ways.

It wouldn't cost much.
It could be used by the citizen where photo ID is required.
It totally eviscerates the left's argument as far as voting is concerned.

I'm pretty sure Illinois offers a free ID card to homeless people. Some verification by church or other charitable organizations are required though, IIRC.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
If DUmmies don't have the full day off how are they supposed to precinct hop so as to vote often like they've been told to do?  :whistling:
:rotf: :lmao:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”