Author Topic: Depart From Me! I Never Knew You, Eaters of Bacon  (Read 7036 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Depart From Me! I Never Knew You, Eaters of Bacon
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
Did you know that Joel Osteen is kicking it old school now?  And by old school, I mean Old Testament.  Straight outta Hebron!

The new-agey motivational speaker preacher at Lakewood Church took a bizarrely old-fashioned approach recently when he advised his congregation against eating both pork and seafood, saying that "...for our health's sake, we have to be willing to make some changes."

He further explained his newfound nutritional path to salvation with deeply theological phrases like "back in the Bible days" and "this is kinda gross" before launching into a detailed diatribe about the inherent filth and evil associated with porcine digestive tracts.

He appealed to his followers, "I know some of you love pork chops.  You love ham and cheese sandwiches.  I grew up on all that.  I love...bacon."  (The marked pause makes me think Joel doesn't really love bacon.)  But that they should follow the example set by his family -- who now eats turkey bacon -- and give up pork "to honor God." ...

link

I can't see that being popular with an American congregation.

Offline Sam Adams

Re: Depart From Me! I Never Knew You, Eaters of Bacon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:24:35 AM »
On the other hand, his wife is cute.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:50 AM »
On the other hand, his wife is cute.
Unless you work for an airline.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
Seems to be another get-rich-blowhard.   :whatever:

Acts 10 :9
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
Unless you work for an airline.

I...uh....what?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:49 AM »
I...uh....what?
Mrs Osteen had something of a dispute with a flight attendant, not sure how it ended (it may still be in court)

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:22:39 AM »
Mrs Osteen had something of a dispute with a flight attendant, not sure how it ended (it may still be in court)

I think the flight attendant lost, though I could be wrong.

Offline TandT

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09:39 AM »
well ... I will not be giving up pork (the only meat for TRUE barbecue....... )

just to let everyone know, i am a POP ... (pal of pork) and i WILL NOT give it up ... :D

i have just judged my first BBQ event for the South Carolina Barbecue Association and loved every minute of it ... (already scheduled for my next event on 4 April )
A day without laughter is a day misspent!  e.e. cummings

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »

just to let everyone know, i am a POP ... (pal of pork) and i WILL NOT give it up ... :D

i have just judged my first BBQ event for the South Carolina Barbecue Association and loved every minute of it ... (already scheduled for my next event on 4 April )

Do you like Maurice's in Columbia? It's good.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:46:08 AM »
Fishers of men can't eat fish???

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:28:37 AM »
Fishers of men can't eat fish???

Some fish is kosher. In order to qualify, it must have both fins and scales. Shellfish is out; halibut and bass are in. Actually, Jesus declared all foods ceremonially clean, so the Old Testament dietary laws regarding pork, etc., no longer apply.

The larger question, though, is whether popular preachers like Osteen will ever preach from the Bible, instead of spewing nonsense. Don't hold your breath.

Offline TandT

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »

yes i do ... but, i enjoy it more when i harvest it off MY smoker :D
A day without laughter is a day misspent!  e.e. cummings

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:44:42 AM »
I hope you remembered to eat red meat on Good Friday!

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
I hope you remembered to eat red meat on Good Friday!

You are really enjoying your anti-Catholic kick aren't you  :p

Fasting has a well established tradition in the church.  Origen, and early Christian theologian, wrote about how Christian fast on the 4th and 6th day of the week (Wed. and Fri), and the Lenten fast has very early origins as well.  Mind you, the Early Church had a stricter interpretation of the Lenten fast, as well as the Weekly fast, than the modern Catholic Church, but the changes in the Catholic church seem to mostly be more recent.  The Orthodox church still practices strict weekly fast, and a strict Lenten fast.  Red meat on Good Friday is absolutely not allowed ;)

Mind you, regarding one of the earlier threads, Orthodox Christians do not believe that fasting will "earn" them salvations, but rather that it is a good spiritual practice.  Fasting periods should be a time to focus on fasting from iniquity and the prescribed foods, in order to teach the body not to be ruled by its passions, even its passions for food, and a time to focus on alms giving and prayer.   

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »
You are really enjoying your anti-Catholic kick aren't you  :p

Fasting has a well established tradition in the church.  Origen, and early Christian theologian, wrote about how Christian fast on the 4th and 6th day of the week (Wed. and Fri), and the Lenten fast has very early origins as well.  Mind you, the Early Church had a stricter interpretation of the Lenten fast, as well as the Weekly fast, than the modern Catholic Church, but the changes in the Catholic church seem to mostly be more recent.  The Orthodox church still practices strict weekly fast, and a strict Lenten fast.  Red meat on Good Friday is absolutely not allowed ;)

Mind you, regarding one of the earlier threads, Orthodox Christians do not believe that fasting will "earn" them salvations, but rather that it is a good spiritual practice.  Fasting periods should be a time to focus on fasting from iniquity and the prescribed foods, in order to teach the body not to be ruled by its passions, even its passions for food, and a time to focus on alms giving and prayer.   

LOL. I was just trying to be funny when I wrote that. It was just my sense of humor breaking out. Thanks for not being offended.

I agree that fasting is a good idea.

The problem comes in when fasting on certain days becomes a tradition or is mandated by some churchly authority. I admit that fasting on certain days is a very old tradition, but it's still just a tradition. It's not something God commanded in His word. Fasting? Yes. On certain days of the year? Er...Not so much. Some of the first Protestants deliberately ate sausages at Lent, just to show they were not under the pope's authority. I was actually thinking of them when I posted that post.

There's also the problem of certain superstitious beliefs attached to fasting, but you addressed that already.

Again, thanks for not taking that post too seriously. H5 for being a good sport.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:24:46 AM by Sam Adams »