Author Topic: primitives discuss their pet peeves about Skins's island  (Read 322 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss their pet peeves about Skins's island
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:08 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018292816

Oh my.

Ter (4,001 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:02 PM

What's your biggest pet peeve that you see on DU?

I'll go first. Mine is whenever we're talking about the 1994 midterm elections (or something in 1994 that speculates about media coverage), some clueless person says "Well, there was no internet then." I have even seen people go so far as to say the same thing about the 1996 election! Unreal how naive some people can be.

Posting "dial-up warnings" in thread titles used to irk me too, but then I realized that a few do indeed still have dial-up, especially those in rural towns.

mokawanis (2,209 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:13 PM

1. People saying things I don't agree with

I'm tired of people having opinions that contradict mine. I've contacted Skinner and EarlG, but they won't do anything about it!

RebelOne (25,792 posts)   Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:24 PM

2. Bad grammar and neglecting to use spell check.

I am positive everyone knows we have spell check, but some are too lazy to utilize it.

^^^must be thinking of the oblate spheroid and Pamela.

By the way, has anyone seen Pamela lately?

JaneQPublic (4,671 posts)   Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:26 PM

3. How quickly my original posts sink into oblivion.

ohiosmith (21,224 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:49 PM

5. Posts about pet peeves!

pinboy3niner (25,306 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:51 PM

6. People asking, "What's your biggest pet peeve that you see on DU?"

I HATE that!

hvn_nbr_2 (5,200 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:02 PM

7. Posts that refuse to tell us what they're talking about

Some examples:

Blind links: "You MUST see this. www.SomePlaceINeverHeardOf.com/ewjwejc.html" No explanation, no summary, not one word that tells me anything about whether I'm about to view (and broadcast sound to every cubicle in the building) of puppies licking baby snakes, screaming monkeys throwing glass objects, exploding buckets of blood and Mentos, or what.

Assuming that I'm watching the same show they're watching, even though I have no idea what show they're actually talking about and I'm probably reading their post at least four hours after that show is finished: "POW! ZAP! He really blasted that nutter!" with no further information. "Did you see that?" No, I didn't, probably, although I have no idea because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Assuming that I am intimately familiar with every candidate in every House or state House or local dog catcher election in the country: "Wow, Beedlebrox is within 3 in latest polls." I have no idea who Beedlebrox is, what he/she/it is running for, what party they are, what state (or even continent) they're in.

Myrina (8,024 posts)   Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:03 PM

18. ^^ YES!! ^^

OMG GO TO THIS LINK **NOW** !!! really burns my ass.

libodem (10,525 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:13 PM

8. It bugs me to see

Grown women using the small 'i' instead of 'I'. It denotes that one sees themselves as small, and not worthy of a capital letter to represent themselves. I think it is psychologically crippling and demeaning. It seems to say, I'm small and weak, don't challenge me, because I'll break, as I am that fragile. Or maybe just really freaking lazy.

fizzgig (16,877 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:30 PM

12. i don't use capital letters period

it has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with indifference.

franksolich has a question for the fizzedjig primitive, above.

If one's indifferent about the way a message is presented, then one supposes it's okay for the potential audience to be indifferent too, not bothering reading it.  Right?

<<<has always been pretty indifferent about reading the fizzedjig primitive, who's rather, uh, fat.

NightWatcher (19,625 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:19 PM

10. When an ignorant person expects his opinion to equal everyone else's on a topic

Or worse, when they expect their argument to outweigh that of someone who is well educated on a topic.

Not everyone's opinion is equal. If we're talking about a legal matter, I'd give the guy with a Juris Doctorate more credit than the nurse. On medical debates, I'll side with the nurse.

Wait Wut (5,310 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:46 PM

15. Meta.

LiberalEsto (15,585 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:49 PM

16. posting youtube videos without noting it in the title or saying something about what it is.

I can't be bothered opening random videos- its' a waste of time.

Myrina (8,024 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:04 PM

19. Not to mention ...

.... folks who DU from the workplace often have YouTube and other media sites blocked, so have no idea what it is they're looking at or missing, just a page splattered with big gray box with an X in the corner.

datasuspect (24,816 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:11 PM

20. the terminally offended

they don't realize they are intellectual lightweights.

being offended is a less than intelligent way to react to or comprehend anything.

oh, the one dimensional thinking and binary thinking.

rurallib (30,257 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:45 PM

21. comments on weather and they don't say where they live

Just the area would be fine.

When someone says "wow it's 66 out," it makes a difference if it's Minnesota in January or Miami in january.

^^^one of franksolich's pet peeves about the primitives too, and especially those who use stupid three-letter airport codes instead of bothering to spell out the name of the place.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Aristotelian

Re: primitives discuss their pet peeves about Skins's island
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
datasuspect (24,816 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:11 PM

20. the terminally offended

they don't realize they are intellectual lightweights.

being offended is a less than intelligent way to react to or comprehend anything.

oh, the one dimensional thinking and binary thinking.

That's the entire purpose of the DUmp though - it was founded on the very day when Pres. Bush was inaugurated, thus beginning eight years of the left being offended rather than comprehending.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:05 AM »
Myrina (8,024 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:04 PM

19. Not to mention ...

.... folks who DU from the workplace often have YouTube and other media sites blocked, so have no idea what it is they're looking at or missing, just a page splattered with big gray box with an X in the corner.

1) Only a small % of misfits actually work;

2) Those who do should be working, and not posting on DU.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:59:29 AM »
Star Member NightWatcher (19,625 posts)
10. When an ignorant person expects his opinion to equal everyone else's on a topic

View profile
Or worse, when they expect their argument to outweigh that of someone who is well educated on a topic.

Not everyone's opinion is equal. If we're talking about a legal matter, I'd give the guy with a Juris Doctorate more credit than the nurse. On medical debates, I'll side with the nurse.

What in the...?  The juris doctorate is never wrong?   the nurse knows everything medical? 

:whatever:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
What in the...?  The juris doctorate is never wrong?   the nurse knows everything medical? 

:whatever:
I'm guessing the peepingtom was jabbing gNads.  :lmao:
Might be Zappa's sock.  :-)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”