Author Topic: Just got a part time job and underwent a background check. And if I buy a gun?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Bluzmann57 (11,442 posts)

Just got a part time job and underwent a background check. And if I buy a gun?

As some of you know, we recently got my wife's daughter over here to the USA and as such, we now (obviously) have some additional expenses. So I decided to get a part time job for some extra money. I am driving a fork truck on a loading dock unloading semi trailers. And in order to get this part time job, I had to submit to a background check. No big deal, I have a clean record, etc.
But my point is, if I had to undergo a background check to work part time on a loading dock, why don't some gun owners have to undergo one to own a firearm? Seems to me that if a person is clean, they won't have much to worry about, and if one is violent and/or mentally ill, they shouldn't have a gun anyway. Just my two cents worth.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022284409

What if you replaced "gun" with voting rights?

rbixby (1,025 posts)
1. Because, gun owners are scared of anything

that might potentially come between them and their guns

Well when you have people trying to take away guns can you blame us for not helping you make that happen?

The best way to describe it DUmmies is, if anyone even suggests passing a single restriction on your most sacred right, abortion, you guys freak out because you think it can and will lead to bans in the future. Same goes for us gun nuts, when you start restricting our rights we won't stand for it.

Squinch (1,764 posts)
24. From a retailer. 40% of guns are not bought through retailers and require no check.

It's a number that Mr Choom head had been throwing around.

Drale (6,864 posts)
8. My girlfriend got a job at Target

and she had to have a background check and take a drug test, why are both not mandated to buy a gun or for that matter run for public office?

How about for voting?
And how about hair follicle tests so your usual tricks at passing the piss test won't work.  :-)

guardian (1,893 posts)
11. Which of the recent mass shootings

would have been prevented by a background check?

All of them of course.  :rotf:

Here's a neat little fact, that ****er who shot up the school kids, I refuse to ever say his name, failed a background check when he tried to buy an evil assault riffle, (spelling for Nads).

surrealAmerican (7,121 posts)
21. Why should your job require a background check?

I know it's common, but that doesn't mean it's right. Employers are given far too much power over their workers. You should be allowed to have privacy, even when you have a job.

Yeah what business is it of your employer what kind of person you are?  :whatever:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
You have to look at this through their point of view Freep.  They have a Constitutional "right" to a job and, the fact they have a criminal record and/or have been terminated several times dosen't negate that right.  They have lots of "rights" that most of us aren't even aware of.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
As soon as I read "Just got a part time job"I knew it would be a bouncy.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Why should law abiding citizens be forced to take weapons to a gun store to have them perform background checks at the gun owner's expense to pass said firearm to another law abiding citizen?

If I want to pass one of my guns to my kids then I shouldn't be forced to pay for a report that is going to tell me what I already know.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
As soon as I read "Just got a part time job"I knew it would be a bouncy.

Good catch.  H5.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

If you were doing odd jobs for a neighbor, there wouldn't be a background check...much like the private sale of a gun.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Funny how all these Progs are completely supportive of databases of citizens when a Democrat gets in office. Not to worry, when the Kenyan is gone and replaced by a Republican, I'm sure we'll all be hearing about how these databases are unconstitutional and how the newest Reichwing Chimpy should be impeached.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Karin

Drale (6,864 posts)

and she had to have a background check and take a drug test, why are both not mandated to buy a gun or for that matter run for public office?

Splendid idea, Drale.  Let's start with your preezy.  He's got a pal who bombed the Pentagon and other places, killing people.  Your preezy is a known drug abuser.  He's also a Communist.  He shouldn't be dog catcher.   

Offline thundley4

I know it's common, but that doesn't mean it's right. Employers are given far too much power over their workers. You should be allowed to have privacy, even when you have a job.

Yeah, let's hire teachers that have pedophile arrests in their background.  Let's hire convicted drug dealers/users to work in the pharmacy.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Funny how all these Progs are completely supportive of databases of citizens when a Democrat gets in office. Not to worry, when the Kenyan is gone and replaced by a Republican, I'm sure we'll all be hearing about how these databases are unconstitutional and how the newest Reichwing Chimpy should be impeached.

The left never thinks that far ahead. They pull their stunts and do their power grabs, never thinking that if they do it so can we.

If they do bother to think that far ahead they have convinced themselves that there will never be a repuke in the white house ever again, so they don't worry about it.

The best example was in Massachusetts, in 2004 they were worried if Kerry won that the repuke governor, Romney could appoint a replacement in the senate. So they changed the law. Flash forward to 2009 when the drunk died, they scrambled to change it back, but couldn't so Scott Brown won.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jukin

There really should be background checks for aborting babies. Owning a gun means you have the ability to shot someone. Having an abortion means you di kill someone. This is just  one common sense regulation on the unmentioned abortion right written in The Constitution.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
When I buy a gun I pay a $5 fee so they can do a FBI call-in on me. It appears to me that what the DUmmies want is already done. Now they can just STFU.

Offline NewKidOnTheBlock

• Probationary (Probie)
You're right. As proof, I offer the daily death counts from Iraq and Afghanistan that were there when Bush was in office. They screamed at the numbers. Once ole Kenyan won, those threads disappeared. R = Bad, D = Good in all instances.

Liberalism is a mental disease.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom

You do have a right to privacy. You weren't forced (at gun point) to take the job. You could choose to only take those jobs where you aren't required to go through a background check and/or pee in a cup. Every job my husband has had has required a drug test.

Hell, I'd like to see drug tests extended to people on welfare, getting food stamps, on unemployment, etc. If those supporting them have to go through one, while having their hard earned money ripped from them before they even see it, then those benefiting from someone else's labor should have to as well. Of course it will never happen but it's the right thing to do.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Airwolf

Why are they bitching about it now? Employers have been doing background checks of one kid or another for years. They started out with references from people you know and then criminal background checks(Which are not cheap depending on how deep they want to go) and now its piss test and stupid test of all kinds to see if your a crook or unstable or whatever. Wouldn't need it if some people were not like 90% of the Dump.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
You have to look at this through their point of view Freep.  They have a Constitutional "right" to a job and, the fact they have a criminal record and/or have been terminated several times dosen't negate that right.  They have lots of "rights" that most of us aren't even aware of.

And one of those 'rights' seems to be 'the right to free stuff, of the highest quality.'
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Yeah, let's hire teachers that have pedophile arrests in their background.  Let's hire convicted drug dealers/users to work in the pharmacy.

I wonder how they'd feel about the background check I had to undergo--and have to undergo every three years.  And the random drug and alcohol testing which can take place at ANY time.  That so-called "Golden Seal" doesn't work if you don't get any advance notice and you MUST pee in the bottle within two hours or you don't have a job anymore.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
Bluzmann57

Seems to me that if a person is clean, they won't have much to worry about...

And yet given time something will come up and they'll be saying "Hey, saying I need to subject myself to "X" because I have nothing to worry about isn't a legit reason to submit to doing that."  They walk into their own hypocracy.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline RobJohnson

I wonder how they'd feel about the background check I had to undergo--and have to undergo every three years.  And the random drug and alcohol testing which can take place at ANY time.  That so-called "Golden Seal" doesn't work if you don't get any advance notice and you MUST pee in the bottle within two hours or you don't have a job anymore.

I handle CII prescription narcotics. I also have background checks and randon UAs.

Drale (6,864 posts)

I have an idea..........Background checks and drug testing for welfare benefits

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
I handle CII prescription narcotics. I also have background checks and randon UAs.

I have an idea..........Background checks and drug testing for welfare benefits

As a truck driver, I got a drug test every 2 years with the DOT physical, and at least 1 random one every year.

These were FEDERALLY MANDATED tests, DUmbass, just to drive a truck with an ICC number on the side of it.

As far as a background check, I got a very intensive one (including fingerprints) before I went to work for the USPS, along with a very intensive drug screen.

I got another intensive background check (including fingerprints) when I applied for my conceal carry permit.  However, if I want to buy a gun, I don't have to have another one, and I don't have to wait 3-5 days to take my purchase home with me.  I show my CC permit and a photo ID, and I walk out with my gun right same day.  No need for a background check, it's already been done.  (Works great at gun shows, too!)

Sounds like the DUmmies are starting to balk at the idea of their "freedoms" being curtailed, now that their "progressive policies" are starting to "trickle down" enough to affect them.   :lmao:

Suck it, DUmmies!  Remember, you get the government you want, and you wanted this one REAL BAD!   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Bluzmann57 (11,442 posts)

Just got a part time job and underwent a background check. And if I buy a gun?
Where is "right to a job", even part-time, mentioned in the Constitution?  :???:
I must have missed that part.  :banghead:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Online 67 Rover

Where is "right to a job", even part-time, mentioned in the Constitution?  :???:
I must have missed that part.  :banghead:

Duh!  The first amendment. "The right of the people peaceably to assemble"  obviously they are referring to union auto manufactures, and putting the heads on Barbie dolls at Hasbro.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Duh!  The first amendment. "The right of the people peaceably to assemble"  obviously they are referring to union auto manufactures, and putting the heads on Barbie dolls at Hasbro.

I would like to see random drug tests done on, Doctors, Dentists, Anyone in any form of health care to include All licensed Nurses or Nurses Aids, Orderlies and the people that do the eye tests for glasses and contact lenses.
Therapists of all kinds. Teachers, school bus drivers, and the staff at any day care establishment.

Drug tests for food stamps does not consign me, those that qualify are seldom going to come my way to effect my life------- All the above I mentioned can and will do damage to people, cause great suffering to others if doing drugs.   

Ramdom mean random not twice a year in January and in June each year.   Those on any kind of drugs know when to expect a test and prepare for it.  It is the out of the blue test one has a test and passes it thinking they are free and clear then 2 weeks later gets popped for another are the ones caught.

Management has much to do with how they handle the tests, say a good worker gets hit and pot shows up, Management can ignore the results or fire a worker that is not of big benefit to the Company.