Author Topic: Abortion now, abortion tomorrow and abortion forever!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Abortion now, abortion tomorrow and abortion forever!
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
I'll be honest: I'm increasingly of the opinion that Proglodytes ought to abort their offspring as often as possible.

I can mourn the unborn who have been lost but if it keep the Proglodyte hordes in check I'm okay with it.

boston bean (29,714 posts)

after 300 years a woman wins a parties nomination and loses the EC but wins the popular vote

and our lesson is that we need to be more open to anti choice candidates in our party?

That it is ok to support them over pro choice dems in primaries?

WTeverlovity****?!

Orsino (34,659 posts)

1. We don't have the luxury of money-enforced lock-step.

Dems have to work a larger tent in order to win majorities.

all american girl (1,493 posts)

48. So, can I ask what rights are willing to give up?

And I mean rights that personally affect you

If you can't make it through life without destroying your offspring -- you shouldn't.

ismnotwasm (31,724 posts)

5. Social justice issues and/or women's rights are NOT negotiable

I think the fact that there are anti-choice women perhaps confuses people? I'm not getting it.

LisaM (19,917 posts)

6. Yes, this is beginning to bother me more and more.

We were gaslighted into not being able to joyfully celebrate having a woman candidate. I think it happened a little in 2008 too (talk about a rigged primary - the DNC just flat out didn't count two states the woman candidate won in the primaries because they dared move them to a more relevant date).

Now it's "oh, okay, a woman, just not this (super-qualified and experienced with a huge history of working for women and also capable of holding a progressive and evolving platform) woman. Daring to hold women's rights dear and equal is "identity politics".

Just sick of it.

Again with the misapplied use of "gaslight."

Egnever (19,149 posts)

15. I can't decide if you are being played or playing people

Who the **** cares about a mayor in bum**** Egypt.

No one is suggesting that the Dem party drop it's support for abortion.

This is division for division sake over a ****ing mayor.

Someone who has little or no impact whatsoever on abortion.

For that we are going to blow up the Democratic party?

This is some dumb ass BS

Congrats on ignoring the elephant in the room while fighting over a ****ing mayor.

stonecutter357 (6,617 posts)

16. I ****in care ... why don't you?

guillaumeb (13,429 posts)

31. Because Bernie said...........................

and ...............something................independent....................all his fault.

Keep ****ing that chicken!

Bernardo de La Paz (17,221 posts)

20. What would Putin want the Democratic Party's position on reproductive rights to be?

FairWinds (1,458 posts)

21. What if a Dem was Pro-choice . .

but also Pro-war?

This is not hypothetical. Check out
"Rep. Alcee Hastings has sponsored a bill to authorize President Trump to attack Iran."

What if they were Pro-corporate - and wanted to shift more tax burden to working families?

Is Choice the ONLY qualification to receive progressive credentials?

Squinch (17,094 posts)

39. I own my body. First and foremost. If someone is advocating taking that away from me, then

there is nothing more to talk about. It is non-negotiable.

I am heartbroken that people here on DU do not realize that I have a right to the ownership of my own body. I am heartbroken that people are playing this, "what if" nonsense, as if this is some kind of a game.

You own your body but the unborn don't own theirs...

...and you're the one who put them there.

athena (3,192 posts)

51. What if they were pro-slavery?

Would you still be defending them?

Or is it only when Democrats want to deny women's basic humanity that you feel the need to defend them? It's hypocritical to be against slavery, capital punishment, and war, while making excuses for Democrats who want to force women to undergo dangerous medical procedures against their will.

Getting knocked up because of personal irresponsibility is not slavery.

LakeArenal (914 posts)

23. I support pro-choice and am an atheist.

But my family has some very real Catholics. They can get behind most of the platform. Take birth control up to your eyebrows. Plan B.
Planned Parenthood is great. But they just can't say abortions are okay for anyone. It's even hard for them to accept them in a case to save the mother. A lot of them feel abortion is more often used as birth control than a medical emergency.

These are caring and loving people. Where do they vote? If anyone who doesn't support abortion ever can't be a Democrat, then who are they to the party?

Some of them who follow politics feel Dems are becoming as excluding as evangelicals.

25. They don't have to have an abortion.

And they vote with the party they agree with most.

No woman should have to give up rights for someone elses religious reasons. Dems aren't the taliban. Repubs sort of are.

LakeArenal (914 posts)

28. They aren't asking for an abortion and they are not asking for anyone to give up anything..

They hear everyday, anyone who can't support abortion can't be a Democrat. Not vote your conscience. I was told by a poster lately that
democrats have a big tent but not an open one. That's what they hear and it feels like an invitation to not join up.

Squinch (17,094 posts)

47. This is kind of bullshit. No one is saying they have to "support abortion." We are saying they

cannot impose their beliefs about abortion on me.

This entire thread is you assholes imposing your beliefs on others.

They don't have to lift a finger for abortion. They just have to get those fingers off my uterus and not think they have a say about what goes into it.

And nominally their opposition to abortion rights comes from a belief that "all life is sacred" and fetuses are people. Bad science, but let's let that go. If, to avoid "supporting abortion" they vote for the Republican, they are ALWAYS endangering a lot more lives than if they vote for the Democrat. Let's face it, looking at climate change alone, Republicans are going to kill us all.

So if their issue is that they are against killing things, then if they do the math they will STILL vote for the Democrat, even if they think abortion falls into that category.

I say this as someone who grew up in a very Catholic family and community. And as an aside, those staunch beliefs are actually quite mushy. In my Catholic college, a larger percentage of women by far had abortions than in any other cohort I ever belonged to in my life. As in, they had many TIMES the number of abortions. This was because they had little information about birth control, and because their families and communities would treat them badly if they were pregnant out of wedlock. Often the abortions were arranged by their parents, often pillars of the Catholic community.

LakeArenal (914 posts)

49. See this is exactly the problem for them and a little for me...

Bullshit. These are core beliefs of people. You call bullshit. Which is always helpful in a discussion of ideas. I will vote the way you want. But we are asked over and over why people don't vote. Not vote republican.. Just not vote. People are told their beliefs are bullshit. That you don't need their timid vote. That Catholic beliefs are mushy. If your beliefs are mushy fine. Don't qualify other peoples beliefs. It seems if you bully them enough with insults, they will come over to the "correct" side.

I seriously don't see these tactics any different than the enemy. I expect an onslaught of haters to chase me now.. Have at it.

Atman (30,221 posts)

57. Then help to educate them and/or start their own Religious Party.

The God Party would pay taxes, though. No more of this tax-exemption bullshit.

I'm tired of having to deal with Republican idiots who get voted in by one-issue voters, many of them Democrats. They are destroying the country, willing to bring everyone else down with them, just because their magic book supposedly tells them abortion is wrong (it doesn't say that). I'm sick of it. I'm sure your family is very nice. So is mine, and I generally enjoy our visits. But I am repulsed when our hear my very elderly in-laws vote for Trump and then complain about Medicare cuts. EDUCATE. Don't continually give in.

Initech (59,515 posts)

26. It's called "don't let them frame the narrative".

The presidential election was stolen from us - fact. We got steamrolled in the Congressional and gubernatorial races - fact. But rather than spend the next two years drowning in our beers and tears trying to figure out where it went wrong - which is what is happening now, we should start going after these rat bastards hard. We are letting them frame the narrative as to why we lost, and that keeps us distracted, which keeps us fighting with each other, which ensures they will keep winning elections. It's the shit cycle that we've gone through since Reagan.

Want to stop that from happening again? What we need to do is get ****ing organized with a clear narrative, a clear direction, and a clear mission statement. And that mission statement should be - we don't want another Trump. We don't want to have to waste time figuring out that our election was hacked by a foreign entity, and they're about to do it again. What we have to do is stop this shit from happening.

So the answer is simple: DON'T. LET. THEM. FRAME. THE NARRATIVE. We need to get our people out there and running at literally every level of government. And I mean every - even if it's something like a city comptroller's office or a school board election. Regardless of whether we win or lose these elections. Any pick ups are pick ups. We need to start flipping every office we can't get now, then we can start flipping districts, then we can start flipping states. Did you see that movie "Moneyball"? That's how they did it in that movie - little gains first, then big ones. But we can't let them get to us by making us fight over Bernie or Hillary, pro choice or anti choice, and so on and so forth. That's how they win.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028986601
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: Abortion now, abortion tomorrow and abortion forever!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
300 years?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
The self delusion is extra strong in that thread.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
What is the Islamic stance on abortion?  Just curious since the left seems to embrace Sharia Law.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
300 years?
Sure, don't you remember the 1716 election when Hillary's great, great...(10 minutes later)..., great grandmother Amelia Clinton (who claimed to be named after Amelia Earhart and kept insisting that the Prussians were hacking the elections) ran for president?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:09:34 PM by Happy Fun Ball »

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »

after 300 years a woman wins a parties nomination and loses the EC but wins the popular vote

and our lesson is that we need to be more open to anti choice candidates in our party?

That it is ok to support them over pro choice dems in primaries?

WTeverlovity****?!
Your lesson is to keep on pouring money into places like California and NY so your party can win a greater share of the popular vote. Please ignore every state between them though. Just a bunch of deplorable hicks anyway.   :whistling:
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
Initech (59,515 posts)

26. It's called "don't let them frame the narrative".

The presidential election was stolen from us - fact. We got steamrolled in the Congressional and gubernatorial races - fact

Don't you mean gaslighted?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
300 years?

Yes, this day in 1676, Hiliard Clintonovich I was defeated by Feodor III as the Tsar of Russia, which began the ongoing Russian interference in USA elections.

Look it up!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
They just can't wrap their minds around the idea that an unborn child can be a human life in the eyes of the Pro-Life faction, and stubbornly cling to the centuries-old, totally non-scientific legal construct that you're not a live person until you're actually born.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
They just can't wrap their minds around the idea that an unborn child can be a human life in the eyes of the Pro-Life faction, and stubbornly cling to the centuries-old, totally non-scientific legal construct that you're not a live person until you're actually born.

"It's not a human life until it can survive on it's own," would excuse us to exterminate 90% of the Proglodytes.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
"It's not a human life until it can survive on it's own," would excuse us to exterminate 90% of the Proglodytes.

I'd put the number closer to 95%, myself.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
RESIST!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
300 years?

I think those are dog years, dutch.   :whistling:

Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
I think those are dog years, dutch.   :whistling:

:rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 01:48:21 AM »
A lot of them feel abortion is more often used as birth control than a medical emergency.
That's because it is, you fool.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »
That's because it is, you fool.

Long, long ago (1980s?), the Alan Guttmacher Institute - a wing of PP - did a study of reasons women got abortions. IIRC, medical emergencies were less than 5% of cases. I've not been able to find the study online (I wonder why).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »
The self delusion is extra strong in that thread.

It really is. 

Quote from: SSG Snuggle Bunny on May 02, 2017, 12:37:37 PM

:hi5:  Going to modify that and steal it.   :-)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:21:39 PM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »

Brilliant.  We can quibble about the number later.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 01:49:26 AM »
Brilliant.  We can quibble about the number later.

We don't need a number. Just say "lots", and your good to go.
Perhaps "all" would be more agreeable. 
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »
Long ago an author I read commented that abortion is one of the sacraments in the religion of Liberalism (this was before Libs resurrected and euphemized "Progressive"). I thought then it was apt, but hyperbole. Now, it's simply apt.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
Legitimate question: Can the HHS Sec (I'm assuming the funds for PP go through HHS, since it is ostensibly "healthcare") just issue a finding that organizations that provide abortions cannot receive federal funds because the funds would be used to subsidize said abortions in violation of the Hyde Amendment?
Sounds like a win-win to me: "The funding for women's healthcare is untouched, we are enforcing existing federal law. Planned Parenthood is welcome to partake of these funds if they discontinue or spin off their abortion practices. Since they claim it is less than 3% of their business, it would make good business sense."

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
Legitimate question: Can the HHS Sec (I'm assuming the funds for PP go through HHS, since it is ostensibly "healthcare") just issue a finding that organizations that provide abortions cannot receive federal funds because the funds would be used to subsidize said abortions in violation of the Hyde Amendment?
Sounds like a win-win to me: "The funding for women's healthcare is untouched, we are enforcing existing federal law. Planned Parenthood is welcome to partake of these funds if they discontinue or spin off their abortion practices. Since they claim it is less than 3% of their business, it would make good business sense."
IIRC, that has been tried and was smacked down by the courts, sadly.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »
IIRC, that has been tried and was smacked down by the courts, sadly.

We have a new Christian, conservative justice.  However if it is truly unConstitutional, I don't want the Supreme Court to push it through.  However Congress could pass a law.