Author Topic: BOOKS  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
BOOKS
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:03:13 AM »
I am starting to read "The Hunger Games" trilogy at my desk (have pdf  :naughty:)

Has anyone read this book? 

One of my favorite movie trilogy's was with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  I am hoping to score the book version in pdf form :hyper:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: BOOKS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
I picked up all three books earlier this year and almost read the cover off 'Hunger Games'.  It's an excellent story.

I think mamacags tipped me off to it.  The other two books are not quite as good but still interesting.

Movie trailer:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9a5V9ODuY[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:31:38 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
LOVED the Hunger Games!  I tried the Girl with/who series but the names drove me nuts because I couldn't pronounce them and I am super anal about that.  I am reading all of John Saul's books right now.  He is entertaining.  I read Janet Evanovich Explosive Eighteen yesterday.  I love those books!  I hate that it only takes me a day to finish them though! 
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
I hate that it only takes me a day to finish them though! 
You should try these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

I've been on the same book since September.  It doesn't help that I only have 20-30 minutes a day to devote to reading.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:42:05 PM »
I am starting to read "The Hunger Games" trilogy at my desk (have pdf  :naughty:)

Has anyone read this book? 

One of my favorite movie trilogy's was with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  I am hoping to score the book version in pdf form :hyper:
I read The Millennium Trilogy last year. They were ok. The friend who recommended them to me so hyped them that they couldn't live up to that hype. But they were interesting enough.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »
Chris I bought the first book.  It is sitting there with Atlas Shrugged waiting on me to be admitted to the hospital or jail so I am forced to read it.  I want to but I would rather just read the cliff's notes I think.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
You have to read it.  It's excellent. 

I never watched the HBO miniseries and the sequel doesn't look very good from the advertisements I've seen.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »

Offline dixierose

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
You have to read it.  It's excellent. 

I never watched the HBO miniseries and the sequel doesn't look very good from the advertisements I've seen.

I've read the first four and they are excellent. I do not have HBO; but they showed the pilot during a free weekend and it was good. It followed the book almost to a T.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
I have been netflixig all of these Victorian bbc movies!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.