Author Topic: question  (Read 2408 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
question
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
I'm still on the old computer, the broken computer, as it hasn't yet completely broken down, and I'm reluctant to start using the newer one until the older one's kaput.

Anyway.

The last time Firefox, which I find most excellent, updated itself (without my permission, which irked me), every so often it crashes, and then one gets that "restore old window" thingamajig, after which all's okay.

Is anybody else having the same problem with Firefox, or might this be the computer itself?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:20:51 AM »
Also, but unrelated, the only thing I've downloaded on this computer since it broke, was something called "FreeFileViewer."  It worked the one time I needed it.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  Is this something worth putting on the new computer?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
My Firefox was crashing quite a bit until I updated Java.  Evidently Firefox was having some compatibility issues with the older version of Java as a plug in.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
I use Google Chrome.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
NetScape (with JavaScript turned off) is my primary browser. Firefox only when I need JavaScript, like balancing my checkbook. IE - NEVER!

I've never had Firefox crash. I don't update it until it's maybe two or three releases behind. It's never auto-updated it self - but I do get those annoying "do you want to update now" pop-ups.

There's probably a way to turn off auto updates.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
The orange FF tab, options, options, Advanced, Update and check the appropriate box you desire.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson