Author Topic: Hibernating with WinXP SP3 re-install  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
Hibernating with WinXP SP3 re-install
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
I recently did a format-and-install of Windows XP Pro (Service Pack3). Since the install, the standby/hibernate function doesn't work; it appears the function is disabled.

Any ideas about a fix??
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Hibernating with WinXP SP3 re-install
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
I'd check for updated drivers for your mainboard.

I have XPSP3 on here and hibernate is still available (even though I hate it so much that I disabled it).

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »
Check your motherboard or computer manufacturer's website for updated ACPI drivers.  I had problems with the Shut Down option not working on my previous computer due to ACPI drivers... the computer would just reboot instead of shutting itself down.

Hibernate causes problems with some computers.  I don't use it either.  It's actually disabled at work on both Windows 7E and XP SP3 systems.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:54:07 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
I'm with Chris & LC EFA. I HATE the hibernate function and disable  it on every install. When 98SE & XP first came out, I had desktops that wouldn't come out of hibernate, so I'd have to reboot. I'll let the PC turn off the monitor, but that's about it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:36:09 AM »
I too disable the hibernation as quickly as possible, if its not already disabled whenever and wherever possible. It usually causes more problems than its worth in the long run.

But as referenced above I'd check the ACPI drivers or settings. Or possibly the bios.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
Thanx for the info...

BIOS is newest available from Dell; chipset software from Intel is updated; all drivers updated...

I guess I'll leave sleeping dogs alone (pun intended) and keep it disabled...

Thanx again...
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.