Author Topic: New Notebook comp and anti-virus software  (Read 2435 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
New Notebook comp and anti-virus software
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
Short version:

Bought ACER notebook today.  Wi-Fi but no CD-ROM, Windows 7 basic.  Bought Bit Defender Internet Security 2011.  Tech support told me I could download it on line and use the product key from the one I bought to activate.  Currently running McAfee (trial version).  Started download, got the .exe file from BitDefender.com, but wasn't able to complete the install (it's a good-sized file--about 200 MB.) 

I can only get to the point where the file (I would guess) is downloaded, then the install crashes on me.  The .exe file is on the desktop, but the install file must be in a temp folder because it gets dumped every time I try to download the install files.

Any suggestions?  Could I copy the CD-ROM to a flash drive on friend's computer and install that way?  The notebook has two USB ports and I transferred over some files from old laptop that way.  Or would I be better off just using the McAfee for a couple of weeks and try to directly connect to Net when I get home?  Don't really want to buy a USB CD-ROM.

Have had no problems downloading other files.  Tried turning off McAfee as well, but that didn't work either.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: New Notebook comp and anti-virus software
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
Do you think the executable from Bit Defender is corrupt?  How are you downloading the file?  For example, I've had issues opening large PDF files inside a web browser, while the 'Save target as' right-click was a lot more dependable.

Avast is easy to download and install if you want to wait until you get home to deal with it.  I was able to install it on a snail of a computer with a 300kb connection (don't ask) and it worked pretty well.

edit: does Bit Defender offer a hash check to make sure the file is complete and undamaged?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:12:43 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Do you think the executable from Bit Defender is corrupt?  How are you downloading the file?  For example, I've had issues opening large PDF files inside a web browser, while the 'Save target as' right-click was a lot more dependable.

Avast is easy to download and install if you want to wait until you get home to deal with it.  I was able to install it on a snail of a computer with a 300kb connection (don't ask) and it worked pretty well.

edit: does Bit Defender offer a hash check to make sure the file is complete and undamaged?

I'm getting the .exe file (about 1.4 MB) over a WiFi connection at the hotel, so packet corruption is a consideration.  I can try to delete the .exe file and try again, but like I said, I've also got a trial version of McAfee for now until I get home at least. 

I downloaded Real Player with no problem.  That is almost as big.

Like I said, I don't want to buy a USB CD-ROM, but it is a possibility.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:55:38 PM »
I'm getting the .exe file (about 1.4 MB) over a WiFi connection at the hotel, so packet corruption is a consideration.  I can try to delete the .exe file and try again, but like I said, I've also got a trial version of McAfee for now until I get home at least.  

I downloaded Real Player with no problem.  That is almost as big.

Like I said, I don't want to buy a USB CD-ROM, but it is a possibility.
Um, why not use a cheap thumb (flash) usb drive.  You can get a 4gig for about ten bucks at the drugstore.

ETA:

Download an run from that.  Chris is right on Avast and I do keep that on a thumb jfor emergency use.
Mc Afee may have to be disabled.  I have also had conflict problems with that. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:58:07 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
Um, why not use a cheap thumb (flash) usb drive.  You can get a 4gig for about ten bucks at the drugstore.

ETA:

Download an run from that.  Chris is right on Avast and I do keep that on a thumb jfor emergency use.
Mc Afee may have to be disabled.  I have also had conflict problems with that. 

I tried disabling McAfee.  No dice.  And I already have a 2GB thumb drive, just no way to transfer the CD-ROM files to the thumb drive. 

I'm just gonna wait until I get home and use the cable modem.  No worries.

But it's also nice to see that USB CD-ROM drives are under $50.