Author Topic: Help us buy a new computer!  (Read 18535 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Help us buy a new computer!
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »
I'm so lost.  Things have changed so much since we bought a computer last.  What we would like is a computer that's good for fast internet surfing and multimedia with lots of speed and memory.  We also do NOT want Vista, though XP is fine if that's possible anymore.  From what I've seen online, it seems like it should be.  We just need the tower, too.  Seems like wherever I look, they throw in everything else, which we don't need at this time.  Any recommendations.  Nothing terribly expensive, but nothing real cheap, either.  $1000 is a good starting point and we can go a little up or down from there.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Help us buy a new computer!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
I'm so lost.  Things have changed so much since we bought a computer last.  What we would like is a computer that's good for fast internet surfing and multimedia with lots of speed and memory.  We also do NOT want Vista, though XP is fine if that's possible anymore.  From what I've seen online, it seems like it should be.  We just need the tower, too.  Seems like wherever I look, they throw in everything else, which we don't need at this time.  Any recommendations.  Nothing terribly expensive, but nothing real cheap, either.  $1000 is a good starting point and we can go a little up or down from there.

1000 is a good starting point? Jinx, you can shave hundreds off that price and get a damn good PC. Hell, you can buy 2 for that at most places.

Check out:

http://www.newegg.com
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
1000 is a good starting point? Jinx, you can shave hundreds off that price and get a damn good PC. Hell, you can buy 2 for that at most places.

Check out:

http://www.newegg.com

Yeah, I was just checking that.  When we bought this computer, we were able to modify things online before purchasing it.  Other than building my own computer (something I'm hesitant to do), I don't see that option on Newegg.  And, of course, almost everything is Vista.  The few XP computers they still have are brands I'm not familiar with.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »
I have purchased a lot of stuff through pricewatch.com vendors. They allow full customization, decent warranties, and very competitive prices.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
Name the brands and someone will probably give you feedback.

Oh, Vista, from what I'm heard, sucks major ass.

You could always spend a couple hundred more and get an iMac. There are people in my office that have those and have NO problems.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

That is, unless you want to learn Ubuntu. Not hard, really.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
I have purchased a lot of stuff through pricewatch.com vendors. They allow full customization, decent warranties, and very competitive prices.

Pricewatch is just a repository like Shopping.com though, right? You're buying from a vendor.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
Pricewatch is just a repository like Shopping.com though, right? You're buying from a vendor.

Yeah, they just list the prices & goods. One buys from an actual vendor. Newegg does have a good return policy. Some of the vendors on Pricewatch don't have as good of a return policy as Newegg, but they often have better prices.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
Ohhh yeah, and Vista isn't all that terrible, BUT.......... it ****ing nags one to death with configuration, allows & denies, etc. It's not quite as easy as XP. BTW, I found a "bone" on piratebay...... XP SP3 corporate.......

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »
Check out Asus. They are a large global company & still uses XP on their small laptops (10"). Don't know about the larger ones. Their computers are highly rated also.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
Check out Asus. They are a large global company & still uses XP on their small laptops (10"). Don't know about the larger ones. Their computers are highly rated also.

That was one of the brands I saw.  Never heard of it before.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »

They used to make kickass mobos. I don't know anything about their PC's, but if they're mobos are any indicator, it should be a good PC.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
ASUS is very good so is Elitegroup. If you were building a computer I could help. I haven't bought a "premade" since 1997 since I can build my own for less than half the cost of a premade.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »

Me neither until I starting researching inexpensive small laptops; looks like it is the best bang for the buck and theirs smokes the rest of them. Also, their warranty is great. Whichever computer you buy, check out the reviews and ratings.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:48:25 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »
They used to make kickass mobos. I don't know anything about their PC's, but if they're mobos are any indicator, it should be a good PC.

Their video hardware is also very nice.

I'm probably going to get one of their Eee PC's at some point in the not too distant future.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:25 AM »
I've had the same Asus motherboard in my PC since I built it eight years ago.  I've been through half a dozen hard drives, three mice, two cooling fans, and enough CD-ROM drives to build a small Stonehenge.  Never had a problem with the motherboard and it runs great.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
I've had the same Asus motherboard in my PC since I built it eight years ago.  I've been through half a dozen hard drives, three mice, two cooling fans, and enough CD-ROM drives to build a small Stonehenge.  Never had a problem with the motherboard and it runs great.

What is that thing? A 166 MHZ?????????      :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »

When no one was looking I snapped a shot of Chris' machine:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »

OOOOOO it's got a nice pair of LARGE floppys!      :lmao:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »

OOOOOO it's got a nice pair of LARGE floppys!      :lmao:

LOL, those aren't the LARGE floppies. They are only the 5.25" ones.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »

1.3 Ghz tweaked to a whopping 1.5 and 1 Gb RAM.  My VGA card has 16Mb.

Er.  Um, yeah.  It's got a 133 Mhz bus (I burnt up my 266 DDR slot).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:34:43 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »

That was not cool! :censored:

I had a Tandy.  She had these awesome 1.2 Kbs floppies while the girl next door only had the 640k's, but she ran Tandy DOS and didn't play well with MS-DOS girls.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:17:29 AM by Chris »

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03:43 AM »

what's wrong with vista?
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 05:50:53 AM »
what's wrong with vista?

You mean beside its colossal appetite for resources, and instability ? 

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
what's wrong with vista?

Besides sucking the big one?

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »
My wife was looking online and apparently Dell has customizable computers to order, but I don't know how good Dells are.