Author Topic: Jazz History Month  (Read 1083 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Jazz History Month
« on: April 28, 2023, 10:29:45 AM »

Discovered a bit late April is Jazz History Month.  Several classes are at a slow point in curriculum and we are knee deep in testing season, which throws everything out of whack, so I used opportunity to show an episode of Ken Burns: Jazz documentary and introduce these heathens to some good music from people who have talent, unlike the garbage mumble rap most of them are obsessed with.  It inspired a meme.  Enjoy.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Jazz History Month
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 10:49:13 AM »
So many of the great ones are now gone. Art Tatum, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Jack Teagarden, Bill Watrous, Frank Rosolino, Bob Brookmeyer, Buddy Rich, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Jaco Pastorius, Hubert Laws, Milt Jackson.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 11:16:37 AM »

My meme is being difficult apparently, take 2, here.

So many of the great ones are now gone. Art Tatum, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Jack Teagarden, Bill Watrous, Frank Rosolino, Bob Brookmeyer, Buddy Rich, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Jaco Pastorius, Hubert Laws, Milt Jackson.

I love jazz and blues, but I don't know them very well.  Always happy to see lists of folks to go look up and better educate myself.   :hi5:
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 04:11:12 PM »

My meme is being difficult apparently, take 2, here.

I love jazz and blues, but I don't know them very well.  Always happy to see lists of folks to go look up and better educate myself.   :hi5:

Once upon a time, I paid a lot of attention to jazz. Blues (12 and 16-bars which is the cornerstone of jazz and much of pop music that's sane), swing, be bop, hard bop, fusion, the list goes on and on. Except it doesn't. Big bands are rarer than hen's teeth (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band in LA being a notable exception). Count Basie wrote the book on big band blues and he will never be replicated. Trumpeters I failed to mention - Dizzy Gillespie, Maynard Ferguson, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Nat Adderley (his brother Cannonball Adderley on alto sax), Conte and Pete Candoli (who played with Doc Severinsen in the Tonight Show Band), Doc himself, though Doc is still gigging well into his 90s.

Sigh.

Thankfully, we still have Wayne Bergeron and a delightfully young and energetic trumpeter named Louis Dowdeswell, who is killin' it, and the always dapper Wynton Marsalis and his brother Branford on saxophone, usually tenor.

When I was in Berlin I went to see Dizzy, Chet Baker (about 3 months before he launched himseld out of an Amsterdam hotel room window), Count Basie (Freddie Green on guitar about 2 months before he passed), Billy Joel (who killed it though he's not a jazzer so much), Al Jarreau (OMG, a former taxi driver who just f'n crushed it), and so many more.

A good friend of mine, Chris Burnett, on saxophone, flute, and clarinet, is gigging and composing in KC and he's a monster - served with him 40+ years ago.

There are just so many I can't keep up.....

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 07:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the post. I've never been into jazz music, although I know the influence it has had on other genres of music and certainly appreciate it. And of course I've heard of almost all the folks you've mentioned.

One of the more interesting college classes I took was "Music Appreciation", which was something to fill out the core curriculum. To this day I can still distinguish between Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and many more. One can notice how the classical music is still infused with our culture, albeit in subtle ways.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 07:29:05 PM »
Thanks for the post. I've never been into jazz music, although I know the influence it has had on other genres of music and certainly appreciate it. And of course I've heard of almost all the folks you've mentioned.

One of the more interesting college classes I took was "Music Appreciation", which was something to fill out the core curriculum. To this day I can still distinguish between Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and many more. One can notice how the classical music is still infused with our culture, albeit in subtle ways.

Maddenly, yes, it is  :naughty:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 07:42:22 PM »
Maddenly, yes, it is  :naughty:

:rotf: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, yeah. Mrs. E also hates the Pachelbel Canon with a passion. Probably because she's had to play it about 9,536 times in her career playing weddings as a member of a string quartet. Yeah, she plays either viola or violin, but it doesn't matter. She hates the f'n thing.  :rofl:

The funny thing is, on the night of our wedding we stayed in town at a B&B and sure enough, the B&B put the Pachelbel Canon on the disc player and it was on when we entered the room.  :argh:   :censored:  :thatsright:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 09:31:52 PM »
Released in 1971, this album was cursed by a lot of music critics, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

This tune - Stoney End - written by Laura Nyro and made fairly famous by Barbra Streisand, is done within a big band setup in England. Valve trombone and trumpet work done by Maynard Ferguson. It's pop music done right, IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMQk37MWds

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 10:39:35 PM »
Was in a restaurant last mid week for lunch. Young kid comes in and announces he will be playing piano for us. Does a couple country songs then starts in to "Take Five" by Brubeck. I clapped, no one else knew the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 06:30:45 AM »
Was in a restaurant last mid week for lunch. Young kid comes in and announces he will be playing piano for us. Does a couple country songs then starts in to "Take Five" by Brubeck. I clapped, no one else knew the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

Good for him. Playing and especially soloing in 5/4 time ain't easy! BTW, Paul Desmond on alto wrote "Take Five," not Brubeck. Joe Morello was a master on drums. Made it look easy.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 04:37:12 PM »
Isn’t jazz where 5 musicians all play a different song at the same time?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 05:27:04 AM »
Isn’t jazz where 5 musicians all play a different song at the same time?

Only in Russia.

I defy you to tell me this group doesn't sound EXACTLY like Steely Dan. Or Chicago. Or Tower of Power. Or Earth Wind & Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRt_EtbzdY

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 11:15:29 PM »
I came into Jax in the mid 70s, a bit of Ellington, Bob James, Earl Klugh, Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra, Chuck Mangione … in the 90s I got into Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline RonE

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »
I came into Jax in the mid 70s, a bit of Ellington, Bob James, Earl Klugh, Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra, Chuck Mangione … in the 90s I got into Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
I've been listening to them for a couple of years now. IMO, they sound better than most of the songs they cover. The bassist took albums and by ear wrote most of the sheet music for the others. And that takes commitment.
Ksenia Buzina is world-class beautiful and talented. Also, they have a few members from Ukraine that I hope will be back after this stupid war.