Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 1995 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Taxes
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
My lib friend who moved to California with her husband when we moved (her husband works for my husband and we have all been friends for years) called me a few minutes ago.  She always calls me up when she has questions about taxes.  Anyway, she was in a panic.  She received her husbands check today and it was $500 less than it has been since the move.  My husband and the guys who work for him all got raises when we moved to this hell hole but it wasn't enough of a difference to cover the cost of living increase as houses are three times what they were in Dallas, 10% state taxes (if you include the State "borrowing" money from us) when Texas has no state taxes, increase in property tax because the cost of the house is three times what it was in Dallas, etc.  She has been complaining of how it's not fair how expensive it is here and I have bit my tongue and not said anything until now.

I told her the following:

#1, the state is taking extra money as a "loan" because they are going bankrupt as they have blown the peoples money.  They are supposedly going to "pay it back' (HA) when we file our taxes.  Then I said that you wont get any money back anyway because you make too much money (she didn't like that comment) and the state wont have it when it comes time to give people a refund so they will probably get an IOU (which she wont get because again, they make too much money). 

#2 From all the money the company gave them to move and the increase in his salary that they hit the max for social security probably right when they moved here (she should have known that, I didn't say anything about how stupid it was not to know that).  She assumed the amount of his check right after they moved here was going to be the amount every payday from here on out.  Then I said, "I don't want to get too political but Democrats want to change the limit of income they take SS out of from up to around $106k for 2009 (if I remember correctly) to unlimited so your husband's paycheck would be less $500 every paycheck from here on out if they get their way".  She chuckled and said, "I told A (her husband) that you would say it was the democrats fault".   :lmao:

I wanted to tell her to go ahead and vote democrat again and see his check get even smaller but I resisted. 

Oh a side note, I am afraid to do my taxes this year.  I'm confused with what is considered income and what is considered an expense.  Like they paid the realtor and all the fees to sell our house and all the fees involved with buying our new house (even paid the points on our loan).  They paid for the move and they gave us money (which they did take taxes out of) for expenses above and beyond the house and the actual moving expenses.  They also gave my husband a bonus (that we had to buy a house with within a certain amount of time) but it had the max of taxes taken out but I'm still worried that we are going to owe big time this year.  It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it and to top it off Obama wants to take more. 

I really wanted to scream at my friend and if she had been standing in front of me I would have visualized choking her but I have to remember she watches MSNBC and doesn't know any better.  She thinks she poor (she always makes that comment) and I know what her husband makes.....they are what DU would consider as rich.    She told me that they didn't benefit from Bush's tax cuts, I have done her taxes for several years, they got a tax break.  She will see when they expire this year.  I wonder if she will see the light then?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Taxes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »
If she hit the SSI max, then she ain't poor by any stretch.  Maybe not rich, but even in a single-income household they're well into the top 10 percent of incomes.

And no, if they taxed her at 99 percent, she's still pull the lever for the D's.  It's their way.

And what you could do, is put the 2000 federal brackets up, and this years--then let her know that her income is going back to the old brackets starting next year.  Whee.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
Sounds like you need to find a good CPA to do your taxes. I do my own taxes and probably will owe; ticks me off cause I am retired and have already paid taxes on my pension/social security.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
My lib friend who moved to California with her husband when we moved (her husband works for my husband and we have all been friends for years) called me a few minutes ago.  She always calls me up when she has questions about taxes.  Anyway, she was in a panic.  She received her husbands check today and it was $500 less than it has been since the move.  My husband and the guys who work for him all got raises when we moved to this hell hole but it wasn't enough of a difference to cover the cost of living increase as houses are three times what they were in Dallas, 10% state taxes (if you include the State "borrowing" money from us) when Texas has no state taxes, increase in property tax because the cost of the house is three times what it was in Dallas, etc.  She has been complaining of how it's not fair how expensive it is here and I have bit my tongue and not said anything until now.

I read an article that seemed to say the average New Yawkers taxes would be $2300 higher this year than last or for this year than last. Not counting whatever the Congress does this year. !!!!1111!!!!111 lol..

Offline Oceander

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
Please, please, do yourself a favor and hire a competent CPA to at least review your tax return, or preferably to prepare it for you.  It sounds like you've got a whole slew of messy one-time issues (i.e., things that it isn't worth learning about yourself because you won't be facing them on a regular basis, but which will absolutely devastate you if you get them wrong on this year's return).

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »
Please, please, do yourself a favor and hire a competent CPA to at least review your tax return, or preferably to prepare it for you.  It sounds like you've got a whole slew of messy one-time issues (i.e., things that it isn't worth learning about yourself because you won't be facing them on a regular basis, but which will absolutely devastate you if you get them wrong on this year's return).

I concur. Can be spendy (mine were $450 last year), but I'll do it again this year due to complications. I also recommend having a very long conversation with a COMPETENT tax attorney.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
I concur. Can be spendy (mine were $450 last year), but I'll do it again this year due to complications. I also recommend having a very long conversation with a COMPETENT tax attorney.

Finding a CPA that is also an attorney will kill 2 birds with one stone.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »
Finding a CPA that is also an attorney will kill 2 birds with one stone.

Most medium-sized CPA firms will have an attorney either on staff, or available for consultation.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
Most medium-sized CPA firms will have an attorney either on staff, or available for consultation.

doc

True but dealing with one individual may be more cost effective.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Or, turbotax it. Then, if you don't pay enough, and are found out, the Tim Geithner excuse will get you off with no penalties or fees, RIGHT?

tHINKING ON IT, MAYBE NOT!  :censored: :thatsright: :tongue:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
Congress Tinkers with Withholding Tax Tables for 2010
Recently, retired military have received e-mail messages notifying them of a withholding tax increase. The email states:

NO ANNUAL COST OF LIVING ADJUSTMENT (COLA) WILL BE ADDED TO MILITARY RETIRED PAY IN 2010.
DUE TO RECENT LEGISLATION YOUR FEDERAL WITHHOLDING TAX HAS CHANGED.

After much investigating and several discussions with the IRS, it appears the Democrats have played a “cash-flow trick” on working Americans and are taking more out of American’s paychecks across the board–all the while touting the Making Work Pay tax credit.

The trick, when looking at the new withholding tax tables for 2010 as compared to post-stimulus 2009, buries an increase in federal withholding taxes–for all income categories–basically giving the government an interest-free loan until current year taxes are filed next year. Some would blame the increase in withholding on the Making Work Pay tax credit being spread out over 12 months as compared to 2009, which was only over 9 months, but this would be impossible as some middle class wage categories carry an increase in the withholding tax of over $200 per pay period.
Unlike the middle class wage earners, who are going to see huge amounts taken out of their paychecks, unless they increase their exemptions on their W4 form, it’s an increase that most wouldn’t even notice–$10 or $20 in some cases. Here are some of the “highlights” of the new 2010 withholding tables:
1.) Congress has lowered the threshold to capture more wages that qualify to owe taxes–across the board. For example, in 2009 the withholding tax threshold began at weekly single wage levels of $138. In 2010, that same wage is lowered to $116. In short, instead of the taxable wage starting at $138, it is now down to $116–which changes the income threshold and taxes even poorer Americans.
For married couples, the change in the weekly base taxable wage changes from $303 in 2009 down to $264 in 2010. These lower wage thresholds can be seen throughout the new withholding charts for weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, semiannual, and annual, as well as daily and miscellaneous pay periods.
This across-the-board reduction in the initial wage threshold increases the number of wage earners who would have to pay taxes.
2.) Instead of seven (7) wage categories, there are now nine (9) wage categories. The new structure allows for direct taxation on the middle class with these wages broken out into smaller categories. The direct hit on the middle class withholding taxes can be seen on all of the new tables. Additionally, the IRS could not explain these changes.
Let’s look at the actual numbers for one category and compare them from 2009 to 2010:
2009 Biweekly, Single, Payroll Period, after subtracting withholding allowances
BigGovernment
2009 withholding tables

2010 withholding tables.