Author Topic: Chicago's Largest Employers  (Read 2688 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Chicago's Largest Employers
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »
Ranked by number of employees as of 9/30/2008

LINK

1--U.S. Government--78,000
2--Chicago Public Schools--43,910
3--City of Chicago--35,570
4--Wal-Mart--23,453
5--Cook County--22,142
6--State of Illinois--18,124

=============================================================================================

There's your "hope and change", kids.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Chicago's Largest Employers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:26:36 AM »

LINK

4--Wal-Mart--23,453
5--Cook County--22,142

=============================================================================================

At least ya'd never get fired unless ya said something half way conservative.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
I didn't think that Wal-Mart existed in Chicago........I seem to remember that they attempted to build a store, but the union goons pulled on Daly's puppet strings, and they ended up in the "burbs......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
Pretty soon everyone will be working for the government. If the private sector grew jobs half as fast as the government sector, our economy would be going gangbusters.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
All I can say is we're doomed! I've been selling equipment to the fed govt and city of st louis for over 25 years. After seeing their way of "doing business"---we're DOOMED!!

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »
Pretty soon everyone will be working for the government. If the private sector grew jobs half as fast as the government sector, our economy would be going gangbusters.

you got that right lacarnut...

how you been buddy ?? ...

are you living in panama yet ?? ...

what nobamas Dims have in mind is basically a nationalized version of the state of Illinois  & Vermont/New England...

which ain't gonna be good ...

the State of Vermont is also our states largest employer & what happens when we run out of money like we are now ??...

well of course, raise more taxes & ask the Feds for more money ...

thats all these baby boomer pinko losers have to offer for solutions....raiding  others wealth & getting handouts from the Feds...

my big loan for my biz will be paid off in  june & I'm thinking about getting out of biz, cause  owning a biz in this state/country sucks....

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

LINK

4--Wal-Mart--23,453
5--Cook County--22,142

I think if you look at any city, it's gonna look like that.

I bet though that if you took all the private jobs there and combine, they'll drastically out number all 5 of those government ones.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:10 PM »
Drastically, how?

Take numbers 7-11 (the next five) and COMBINED they still don't add up to the number of federal government employees.  And one of those is the University of Chicago--a PUBLIC post-secondary educational institution (more taxpayer dollars).

Other government agencies include CTA, University of Illinois, and Northwestern University.  The top 25, were they all privat companies, wouldn't even come CLOSE to the total of federal/state/local government employees.

Consider this, dj--the state of Massachusetts doesn't even LIST government employers in their data.  You have to delve into Census data just to get any sort of numbers.  Think there might be something they're trying to hide?

I suggest you take a look at the following link, and be prepared to be severely dismayed.  And then remember Obama wants to INCREASE that number.

LINK
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:43:18 PM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
Drastically, how?

Take numbers 7-11 (the next five) and COMBINED they still don't add up to the number of federal government employees.  And one of those is the University of Chicago--a PUBLIC post-secondary educational institution (more taxpayer dollars).

Other government agencies include CTA, University of Illinois, and Northwestern University.  The top 25, were they all privat companies, wouldn't even come CLOSE to the total of federal/state/local government employees.

Consider this, dj--the state of Massachusetts doesn't even LIST government employers in their data.  You have to delve into Census data just to get any sort of numbers.  Think there might be something they're trying to hide?

I suggest you take a look at the following link, and be prepared to be severely dismayed.  And then remember Obama wants to INCREASE that number.

LINK

even  alot of so called 'private business' in Mass is either NGO's or funded by goverment contracts...

the Big Dig is a great example...

remember when mass voters only came a few votes away from eliminating their state income tax a few years ago ??...

most of mass doesn't want their pinko state either, but you'd never know that listening to media ...

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
Most?  Bullshit.  They're the same people who put the same idiots into power in Boston and Washington every ****ing election.  If "most" weren't like that, Ted the Swimmer, Bwaney Fwank, Deville Patrick, and the rest of the idiots who "represent" Mass. would either be long gone or never have come to power.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
Most?  Bullshit.  They're the same people who put the same idiots into power in Boston and Washington every ****ing election.  If "most" weren't like that, Ted the Swimmer, Bwaney Fwank, Deville Patrick, and the rest of the idiots who "represent" Mass. would either be long gone or never have come to power.

It's kinda hard not to point a finger at the electorate for their habit of putting those tapered turds into office.

Fatass Ted's been a senator since Nov. 1962. Poopshooter Fwank has been a representative since 1982.  Patrick's a relative newcomer, but he's a Clintonista in the proud tradition of liberalism.

With Fwank and Patrick's lesbian daughter, hey, it looks like gayness is the wave of the future in the Commonwealth.

When the hell is the people of Massachusetts going to wake up and smell the coffee?

Waitaminute. It could be that the political system in Mass. is so corrupt that it doesn't matter what the electorate wants.

What matters is what Fatass Ted and his Fwiends want.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »
you got that right lacarnut...

how you been buddy ?? ...

are you living in panama yet ?? ...

what nobamas Dims have in mind is basically a nationalized version of the state of Illinois  & Vermont/New England...

which ain't gonna be good ...

the State of Vermont is also our states largest employer & what happens when we run out of money like we are now ??...

well of course, raise more taxes & ask the Feds for more money ...

thats all these baby boomer pinko losers have to offer for solutions....raiding  others wealth & getting handouts from the Feds...

my big loan for my biz will be paid off in  june & I'm thinking about getting out of biz, cause  owning a biz in this state/country sucks....

I have been doing great. My dad passed away 3 months ago. His quality of life was very poor and was confined to a wheelchair. He lacked one week of making his 99Th birthday. The only thing he ever asked for after his stroke was some good food. I either cooked or brought him something to eat 4 days a week. My brother took care him the other 3.

Went to Panama City Beach for 10 days. I am still considering moving to the country of Panama. Expatriates pay no property taxes for 20 years and foreign income is not taxable plus many discounts from medical care to restaurants for those that can show at least income of 500 bucks a month.

Looks like the liberals are going to destroy this country with their tax and spend philosophy. Louisiana has a Repub governor. He learned in a hurry that crap is not going to fly here when he was going to allow the legislators to double their salaries making them the highest paid in the south. He decided to veto it after receiving ten of thousands of nasty phone calls.

If you sell your business, what are you going to do. I am hoping by some miracle that Obama will give business's some tax relief but not going to hold my breath.

Take care and don't stay away so long. 

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »
It's kinda hard not to point a finger at the electorate for their habit of putting those tapered turds into office.

Fatass Ted's been a senator since Nov. 1962. Poopshooter Fwank has been a representative since 1982.  Patrick's a relative newcomer, but he's a Clintonista in the proud tradition of liberalism.

With Fwank and Patrick's lesbian daughter, hey, it looks like gayness is the wave of the future in the Commonwealth.

When the hell is the people of Massachusetts going to wake up and smell the coffee?

Waitaminute. It could be that the political system in Mass. is so corrupt that it doesn't matter what the electorate wants.

What matters is what Fatass Ted and his Fwiends want.

you nailed it ...

cause when you have 1/2 the electorate just 3 years ago come 2 points away from overthrowing their state income tax via  the voting booth on a referendum, that tells yah something...

but we must remember where 'mass' gets its roots from ...

and that is, wacko puritan terrorists that overthrew their government 225 years ago, only to reimpose an even more tyrannical one a few generations later...

a place where Irish & German gangs would terrorize the public until they got their 'state funded' police & 'fire departments'... or they'd keep burning down city blocks &/or shaking down local biz's till they got their way...

to this day, arsen investigators target FIREMEN as potential suspects, because  the history of organized fire 'departments' in that area is teeped in gangsterism & corruption ...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:37:14 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
I have been doing great. My dad passed away 3 months ago. His quality of life was very poor and was confined to a wheelchair. He lacked one week of making his 99Th birthday. The only thing he ever asked for after his stroke was some good food. I either cooked or brought him something to eat 4 days a week. My brother took care him the other 3.

Went to Panama City Beach for 10 days. I am still considering moving to the country of Panama. Expatriates pay no property taxes for 20 years and foreign income is not taxable plus many discounts from medical care to restaurants for those that can show at least income of 500 bucks a month.

Looks like the liberals are going to destroy this country with their tax and spend philosophy. Louisiana has a Repub governor. He learned in a hurry that crap is not going to fly here when he was going to allow the legislators to double their salaries making them the highest paid in the south. He decided to veto it after receiving ten of thousands of nasty phone calls.

If you sell your business, what are you going to do. I am hoping by some miracle that Obama will give business's some tax relief but not going to hold my breath.

Take care and don't stay away so long. 

sorry to hear about your dad, but it seems you are at peace w/ that ...and thats good ...

if I  dump the biz, it won't be till we start to rebound again, which could be a couple years or never , depending on how stupid the nobama is or isn't...

I'm pretty confident we'll recover, because VT is kinda shielded from most of what goes on down in america & now that we hve a pinko leftist gov. in DC, they'll surely be sending billions of dollars to VT real soon & since our state is the #1 employer, that money will go right into jobs asap...

if I do sell in a few years, I'll just  pay off everything debt wise & then just find somekind of job w/ benes & retirement  & coast till my kids are grownup & gone ....

cheers & don't get too much sun down there !!