Author Topic: Obama names special watchdog for federal spending  (Read 2335 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Obama names special watchdog for federal spending
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »

President-elect Barack Obama said Wednesday that reforming massive government entitlement programs _ such as Social Security and Medicare _ would be "a central part" of his effort to control federal spending.

Obama made the pledge but provided few details as he named Nancy Killefer as his administration's chief performance officer, creating a new White House position aimed at eliminating government waste and improving efficiency.

Noting that the Congressional Budget Office had just estimated he would inherit a $1.2 trillion federal deficit for fiscal 2009, Obama promised to cut unnecessary spending.

"We expect that discussion around entitlements will be a part, a central part of those plans," Obama said. "And I would expect that by February in line with the announcement of at least a rough budget outline we will have more to say about how we're going to approach entitlement spending."

For the first time, Obama gave a ballpark price tag for his massive economic plan aimed at generating jobs and jolting the country out of recession. Aides have said it could cost as much as $775 billion over two years. Outside economists have suggested as much as $1.2 trillion would be needed.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/ap/?c=y&id=1232769

Perhaps he'll cut welfare and make the moonbats work.  :evillaugh:

Offline thundley4

Re: Obama names special watchdog for federal spending
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
President-elect Barack Obama said Wednesday that reforming massive government entitlement programs _ such as Social Security and Medicare _ would be "a central part" of his effort to control federal spending.

Yeah right. He just wants to know that conservatives aren't spending anything.

I just read that the House is not going to debate Medicare again, even though Obama must still send them recommendations about it.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
creating more govt entities costing the govt more money ,to be the watchdog for govt spending. Silly me I thought the best way to control spending was to spend less not more. Then again I am not an O bamatron.

It's truly amazing the way a lot of folks think the O man is such a well versed well spoken consummate politicion.  Granted he may give the Impeached one a run for the money in the Jive talk dept but ol Billy could teach the O Man a thing or two in the smoke & mirrors dept.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
Wasn't Alphonse Capote Gore, when vice-president under the Impeached One, in a job like that, and filed a report about wasteful governmental spending?

One wonders whatever became of that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Sigh.

More bureaucracy.

I think it's time to invest heavily in paper companies. The cesspool known as Washington D.C. will churn out useless reports, flawed analyses, and flowery recommendations little of which will be read and just as quickly forgotten.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
Obama names special watchdog for federal spending

Call me old fashioned, but I seem to recall a time where THE *******ED PRESIDENT was the watchdog of Congress' (federal) spending habits.  That - theoretically anyway - was the reason THE *******ED PRESIDENT was given the *******ED VETO POWER by the Constitution.

God DAMN! What WILL this dipshit take responsibility for?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
Call me old fashioned, but I seem to recall a time where THE *******ED PRESIDENT was the watchdog of Congress' (federal) spending habits.  That - theoretically anyway - was the reason THE *******ED PRESIDENT was given the *******ED VETO POWER by the Constitution.

God DAMN! What WILL this dipshit take responsibility for?

There is a reason he has the nickname of "the Big Zero".

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

damn! What WILL this dipshit take responsibility for?

posing for pictures and reading telepromptors, he has no marketable skills.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
going after waste in entitlements ?

say good bye to Medicare and SS if you have any net worth.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »
creating more govt entities costing the govt more money ,to be the watchdog for govt spending. Silly me I thought the best way to control spending was to spend less not more. Then again I am not an O bamatron.

It's truly amazing the way a lot of folks think the O man is such a well versed well spoken consummate politicion.  Granted he may give the Impeached one a run for the money in the Jive talk dept but ol Billy could teach the O Man a thing or two in the smoke & mirrors dept.

exactly.  the thought that creating additional bureaucracy can possibly make a larger bureaucracy more efficient is, well, deranged.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »
Wasn't Alphonse Capote Gore, when vice-president under the Impeached One, in a job like that, and filed a report about wasteful governmental spending?

yep.  it was a hugely overhyped endeavor that went by the ridiculous and staggeringly arrogant project title, "Reinventing Government".  After a couple of years, it's single accomplishment was a photo op will algore and the clenis standing amidst piles and piles of reams of paper that were allegedly the inefficiencies that they had eradicated.

REGO was toothless;  his group had no budget or legislative authority, and probably eliminated nothing at all. they were ultimately a series of recommendations that congresscritters instantly picked apart, or just ignored entirely.  in the end, all of the money spent on the initiative was money down a rat hole.  the same thing will happen to obama's "chief performance officer".  it's just not an original idea, or even close to an original idea.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »

Indeed, speaking as a Federal employee, we have been subjected to "Improvement" after "Improvement" since the 80s, increasingly so from Teh Goracle era to now, and all without any notable improvement to output, morale, cost, efficiency, or value of a civil service position as a job (once simple office automation and three-card-monte-based accounting tricks are factored out).  Fortunately, I will probably be retired by the time the first large batch of Obamite "Improvements" are fully implemented.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.