Author Topic: White House says no to special session of Congress  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
White House says no to special session of Congress
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
a wonderful opportunity . . . squandered. :whatever:

White House says no to special session of Congress

The White House has rejected calls from House Republicans that it convene a special session of Congress on energy, saying it wouldn’t make a difference.

“We don't have plans to call Congress into session -- it won't make a difference if Democratic leaders are unwilling to bring up a bill for an up-down vote,” said White House spokesman Tony Fratto.

Republican Study Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) and Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) asked President Bush to convene the special session in an Aug. 1 letter. The same day, House Republicans launched an unusual protest on the House floor urging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to call Congress back to work.

"Since Speaker Pelosi has decided not to keep the House in session to allow this vote to take place, we urge you to use the power vested in you by the Constitution to convene an immediate energy special session of Congress,” the letter said.

The protests continued Monday, with several House Republicans speaking on energy from the House floor, despite the fact that the House has adjourned and C-SPAN is not televising the proceedings. Cameras are not allowed in the House without the Speaker's permission.

More

Online Airwolf

Re: White House says no to special session of Congress
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
Thanks once again GW for ****ing us over when we needed leadership the most.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
As little respect as I have for the Bush administration's ability to play the cards they have been dealt correctly, I have to say it's not a bad call.  The Republicans have more to lose in the Congressional races than the Dems and this gives them the cover to go campaign, while laying the responsibility for the impasse right at the feet of the Congressional Dem leadership where it belongs. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
As much as we'd all like to see the theatrics, the President is right to decline.  It would not come off as we expect, and it is too early to realy push the issue anymore than it is.  

The issue isn't going away.  The longer it is left to stew the better.  Mid-September will be a good to go because more people will be home and paying attention, and it isn't really far off.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:44 AM »
Ummm, GWB is just following the rules. With the Senate in a "pro-forma" session, he CAN'T call Congress back into session. Once the Senate's pro-forma session is done....... he can. I think he's just holding his hand close as to not give away his cards.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »
It wasn't the answer that was important

It was the question.

This was astute politics by the R's and GWB.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.