Author Topic: Senator Ted Stevens Is Indicted on Corruption Charges  (Read 5902 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Re: Senator Ted Stevens Is Indicted on Corruption Charges
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »
I do know the Republicans and some Conservatives have been "taking the high ground" and that worked great in 2006, didn't it?

Beats the hell out of the liberal practice of party over country.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Lauri

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »
What a freaking tool!!! :thatsright:

this is going to be a lot of fun to have to deal with in the next few months . . . I can already hear nancy pelosi
dusting of that retarded "culture of corruption" mantra. :whatever:

It worked.  When will the RNC and Conservatives realize the Left has grabbed onto Hitler's favorite axiom: "a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth"???

If we lose big this election cycle, it is because we ceded the high ground to unaddressed democrat lies.

and today, McCain is out there saying what a great woman Nancy Pelosi is.. and what a fair minded job she is doing. HORSESHIT! Why doesnt he put that damned temper to use for a change?? Everybody knows he has it - when do we get to see it? Nancy Pelosi is a flippin retard who hasnt done one thing since entering office - and we should all be HAPPY that she hasnt!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
I do know the Republicans and some Conservatives have been "taking the high ground" and that worked great in 2006, didn't it?

Not when the party suffers, and then the country suffers, after a great man like Tom DeLay has been discarded for absolutely no reason.  This known proclivity of the party to throw every targeted republican overboard is not wise.  It encourages the democrats to create false scandals because they know they will be triumphant.  It's sick, really...and it makes the Republicans look stupid, weak, and easy to manipulate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:48:31 PM »

Not when the party suffers, and then the country suffers, after a great man like Tom DeLay has been discarded for absolutely no reason.  This known proclivity of the party to throw every targeted republican overboard is not wise.  It encourages the democrats to create false scandals because they know they will be triumphant.  It's sick, really...and it makes the Republicans look stupid, weak, and easy to manipulate.

Sadly, it isn't just "Look." Thank God Teh Rove is showing the Right what "Having Balls" means.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »

great.  this was considered a "safe" seat before the indictment. 

Stevens won't give up on re-election try despite indictment
 ANCHORAGE — Indicted U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens is pushing forward with his re-election campaign regardless of the political analysts who say he's dead in the water.

"I hope he drops out simply because I think he would suffer humiliation," said Anchorage pollster and political consultant Marc Hellenthal. "The public, given the atmosphere and given what's happened, is going to presume guilt. ... He still has, even if he is guilty, a rather distinguished career representing Alaska, and we shouldn't forget that."

Stevens, who has never had a close election race since being appointed to the Senate in 1968, says he's innocent and will fight the charges. His campaign is expressing confidence, and even detractors concede his reservoir of loyalty in the state.

The question is whether a federal corruption indictment is enough to poison that goodwill.

It's too late for Stevens to withdraw his name from the Aug. 26 Republican primary ballot, even if he wanted to. But if he won the primary and then resigned, the state Republican Party could pick his replacement for the November general election.

More

Offline Chris_

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »

Not when the party suffers, and then the country suffers, after a great man like Tom DeLay has been discarded for absolutely no reason.  This known proclivity of the party to throw every targeted republican overboard is not wise.  It encourages the democrats to create false scandals because they know they will be triumphant.  It's sick, really...and it makes the Republicans look stupid, weak, and easy to manipulate.

What evidence do you have that the party's definition of it's best interests is equivilent to "the best interests of the country", pray tell?

The state Treasurer for the State of Missouri - Sarah Steelman - is a Republican running for governor of the state this year.  Because she has remained true to the principles the party traditionally has claimed to stand for, and thus been a roadblock to Republican-sponsored corruption in that state, the Republican party is trying to eat her alive politically.  Because of this, the democrat is standing a good chance of getting the Governor's chair in Missouri this election.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

What evidence do you have that the party's definition of it's best interests is equivilent to "the best interests of the country", pray tell?

The state Treasurer for the State of Missouri - Sarah Steelman - is a Republican running for governor of the state this year.  Because she has remained true to the principles the party traditionally has claimed to stand for, and thus been a roadblock to Republican-sponsored corruption in that state, the Republican party is trying to eat her alive politically.  Because of this, the democrat is standing a good chance of getting the Governor's chair in Missouri this election.

What evidence do I have?  It wasn't an editorial.  It is my constant opinion that men like Tom DeLay are what is best for this country.  Anymore questions?

"Republican-sponsored corruption" sounds like a oxymoron.  I don't know much about Steelman except she is a Ron Paul subscriber. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »
Matt Blunt, the current - Republican - Governor of Missouri tried to use public funds to "settle" sexual harrassment charges against his state Secretary of Agriculture.  Not only inappropriate use of public money, but he did so in a "closed" agreement with the plaintiff, keeping it out of the public forum.  Ms. Steelman had to stop payment on the check the Governor wrote, in order to keep the public's money from being used to save a corrupt politician's ass.

There have been other occasions in her time as state treasurer, where she has had to put the brakes on Republican corruption.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »
Matt Blunt, the current - Republican - Governor of Missouri tried to use public funds to "settle" sexual harrassment charges against his state Secretary of Agriculture.  Not only inappropriate use of public money, but he did so in a "closed" agreement with the plaintiff, keeping it out of the public forum.  Ms. Steelman had to stop payment on the check the Governor wrote, in order to keep the public's money from being used to save a corrupt politician's ass.

There have been other occasions in her time as state treasurer, where she has had to put the brakes on Republican corruption.

Is this the sec. of ag who was forced to resign?  The case where the woman who sued settled out of court?  The one where the state was going to pay her (and did) out of its legal fund?  The same money that would have been reimbursed to the dept. of ag from the legal fund anyway?  I don't see how what Steelman did was so special or heroic.  The taxpayer was going to (and did) get stuck with the bill in the end.     

Offline Chris_

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »

Is this the sec. of ag who was forced to resign?  The case where the woman who sued settled out of court?  The one where the state was going to pay her (and did) out of its legal fund?  The same money that would have been reimbursed to the dept. of ag from the legal fund anyway?  I don't see how what Steelman did was so special or heroic.  The taxpayer was going to (and did) get stuck with the bill in the end.     

All true, except the state wasn't the one being sued.  The harrasser was.  It was - therefore - inappropriate to use taxpayer dollars to pay for his ****-up, especially when the public was getting the bill without getting to know what it was paying for (the settlement was sealed at the governor's order).  The taxpayer did not get the bill in the end, because the treasurer stopped payment on the settlement check that should have never been issued.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »

All true, except the state wasn't the one being sued.  The harrasser was.  It was - therefore - inappropriate to use taxpayer dollars to pay for his ****-up, especially when the public was getting the bill without getting to know what it was paying for (the settlement was sealed at the governor's order).  The taxpayer did not get the bill in the end, because the treasurer stopped payment on the settlement check that should have never been issued.

That's not the way I remember it being reported.  The woman sued the sec. of ag. through the state, which agreed to settle out of court for less than $100,000.  The woman was paid out of the state legal fund.  I remember following the case a couple of years ago.  If the woman hasn't been paid, then the state is back in court for failing to satisfy the settlement to which the state agreed.