Author Topic: Omaha Steve far too optimistic  (Read 848 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Omaha Steve far too optimistic
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3257382

It's always a pleasure to read Omaha Steve, a non-primitive on Skins's island, and a fellow Nebraskan.

Omaha Steve  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed May-07-08 08:59 PM
Original message

Just in email from Scott Kleeb camp: Change sweeps across Nebraska

DUers for Kleeb: http://www.actblue.com/page/du_for_kleeb

Our campaign for change continues to build across Nebraska. Major news reporters have picked up on the excitement. Case in point: this newspaper article from respected writer Don Walton of the Lincoln Journal Star.

Kleeb Extends Grasp Statewide
by Don Walton

Don is right that Scott has reached out from Omaha to western Nebraska to unite the whole state. We’ve united ranchers and environmentalists; young people and seniors; and Democrats, Independents, and Republicans. And we’ve only just begun.

Don is also right to call Scott Kleeb “a policy guy.” Scott has a treasure trove of creative, forward-looking ideas to create jobs, make health care more affordable, reduce the national debt, invest in homegrown energy, and begin to bring our troops home. Click here to learn more about Scott’s agenda.

Scott loves to talk about the issues with anyone who has an opinion to share. In the days before the May 13th primary, he’ll have those conversations with more Nebraskans than ever before. I hope you’ll join us along the way.

All the best,
Jeff Jacobs

PS - Scott Kleeb's agenda for change has united Nebraskans from east to west. Don't forget to vote for Scott in the May 13th Democratic Primary!

Paid for by Nebraskans for Kleeb

DUers for Kleeb: http://www.actblue.com/page/du_for_kleeb

I know Don Walton of the Lincoln Journal-Star; in fact I've been interviewed by him several times, and have a great deal of respect and affection for him.  However, Mr. Walton makes no secret of his political partisanship, and so one can expect no less than a soap job on a Democrat from him.

Beregond2  (950 posts) Wed May-07-08 11:38 PM
Response to Original message

3. Every time I look at Kleeb

I have to laugh. I mean, if you were to design an ideal candidate, you couldn't do any better, could you? He's the Marlboro Man, without the lung cancer. And on top of that, he's smart!

Well, that is true, he's an ideal candidate, aesthetically.

However.

Scott Kleeb is in the Nebraska Democrat primary for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Charles Hagel (R-Nebraska); his opponent in the Democrat primary is a businessman, until recently a Republican, who switched parties when it became obvious Michael Johanns was to be the Republican candidate for the seat, and the businessman wants to be a U.S. Senator really badly.

Normally, one would think Kleeb has the advantage in this race, but one suspects the new Democrat will run him close.

It's all moot anyway, because Michael Johanns is expected to win the seat handily, no matter who his Democrat opponent is.

Much is made of the fact that Scott Kleeb ran a "close" race for the third-district congressional seat in Nebraska in 2006 (the western two-thirds of Nebraska), losing by "only" 55-45%, and that against a Republican generally thought to be the weakest Republican the party could field (opinion has since changed).

Democrats don't know excresence about history.

Every time in modern history (say, since circa 1960) the Republican congressman from the third district has retired, the Democrat candidate has run a tight race, in all instances excepting 2006 losing by only a few hundred votes.  Losing with 49.99% of the vote is quite different from losing with only 45% of the vote.

So there was nothing impressive about Kleeb running a "close" race; in fact, he did worse than his Democrat predecessors when running for an open seat in the third district.

Sorry, Omaha Steve; it pains me greatly to pain a fellow Nebraskan, but that's life.

And besides, the primitives wouldn't like Kleeb anyway, he being way far to the conservative side of even Zell Miller.
apres moi, le deluge