Author Topic: Uh Oh! China bans live Tiananmen video during Olympics. (hate America alert)  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3043563

elehhhhna (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 05:13 PM
Original message
Uh Oh! China bans live Tiananmen video during Olympics.
   Advertisements [?]

March 21, 2008, 3:30PM
China bans live Tiananmen video during Olympics

By CHARLES HUTZLER
Associated Press
China issues 'Most Wanted' list for Tibet rioters BEIJING — Don't expect to turn on your TV during the Beijing Olympics and see live shots of Tiananmen Square, where Chinese troops crushed pro-democracy protests nearly two decades ago.

Apparently unnerved by recent unrest among Tibetans and fearful of protests in the heart of the capital, China has told broadcast officials it will bar live television shots from the vast square during the games.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5638806.html

It gets hateful quickly.

David__77 (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 05:47 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. I'm glad China has the Olympics.
   They deserve it more than the US does.

David__77 (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 06:03 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. Reasons they do.
   1. They have no foreign military bases, unlike the US does.
2. They have no troops invading sovereign, recognized countries, like the US does.
3. They don't finance and plan fascist coups against democratically-elected government, like the US does.
4. They spend a smaller portion of their GDP on military expenditures than the US, setting a good example for the world.

After centuries of humiliation at the hands of imperial powers, China has finally started coming into its own, and I think it's a great thing. Yes, they have a long way to come both in terms of economic development and social/political change, but the movement has been in the right direction, unlike in this country where we're stepping backwards.

David__77 (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 06:13 PM
Response to Reply #9
11. I've read it.
   What about this?:

The Human Rights Record in the United States in 2006
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArti...

There is much that can be condemned in the US, UK, and in China as well. But I think the basic facts I pointed out mean that China's role in the global stage is not as damaging as that of the US and UK.

:bird: :bird:
David__77 (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 06:04 PM
Response to Reply #5
7. No one here would complain if London, capital of the neocolonial UK, hosted the Olympics.
   While foreign troops oppress and occupy Iraq, who here would object to London hosting the Olympics?

TheWraith (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 06:06 PM
Response to Reply #7
10. The British don't execute political prisoners and harvest their organs for black market sale.
   China does.

No no...you must not criticize a communist country.

malaise  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-21-08 06:18 PM
Response to Reply #10
13. No they just slaughter Iraqis in their own country n/t

F*** you!

Hope you are proud of your spawn Skins.  :censored: