Author Topic: Housing prices down Rent up: Dummies Confused  (Read 2439 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Housing prices down Rent up: Dummies Confused
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Ok, ok, so dummies are easily confused. This is a small bonfire with some potential 2010 DOY Candidates.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9196927
AlphaCentauri  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 09:13 PM
Original message
House prices are down, why rents still high?
 The economy would recover faster if rents were down as house prices are.

First up that perennial favorite, bobo the hobo

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 09:14 PM
Response to Original message
1. Because we don't have anywhere else to go. Sound familiar?

Next a quote from the rich and infamous.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 09:28 PM
Response to Reply #6
11. It depends. If you are renting out apartments
 and houses suddenly come open, your market goes to hell. We've nearly halved the rent in some of our units and still have vacancies. With a full building, we only break even any way. With a half empty building, it's hard to make the utilities, the taxes, and so on.   

Don't you just love an innocent question??

pnwmom (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-24-10 09:33 PM
Response to Reply #11
14. If you only break even with a full building, why even be in the business?
 Sounds like a lot of work, especially for no money!

Oh, wait, I meant:

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 10:04 PM
Response to Reply #14
18. It's an investment, not a cash cow. 
 But believe me, I've often said exactly the same thing to the family. 

And here is the take from another mean spirited liberal exploiter of the lower caste like bobo.....

Samantha  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-25-10 12:02 AM
30. Well, I lost $100,000 off the value of this house 
 Edited on Sat Sep-25-10 12:02 AM by Samantha
but my property taxes still went up. So did my utilities. So did the rent for the basement here. I couldn't carry the place by myself with everything going up the way it has at the price I formerly charged. Utilities alone in Maryland continue to rise. My theory is with so many bankruptcies and foreclosures, cities still need to make a certain amount to cover their budgets. They have fewer people to collect from, so they just hike up the cost of those still here.

Sam

And there went the hopes and dreams of another basement dwelling Cheeto eater.  Mean Sam, mean,   :hammer:
suck it up and keep the Cheeto eatin tenant happy.  They only get ten cents a post ya know. :popcorn:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Housing prices down Rent up: Dummies Confused
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
AlphaCentauri  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 09:13 PM
Original message
House prices are down, why rents still high?
The economy would recover faster if rents were down as house prices are.

Well let me see, people who own homes that choose to rent them have their taxes to pay and their mortgage on that place if they still carry 1, add to that insurance, the fact that the landlord has to make all repairs, and they'd like to maybe make a small profit.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
The OP is so clearly innocent of any actual economic acumen that I do sincerely hope someone else with a better grip on reality is in charge of the household money and simply doles out a Cheetos-and-pizza allowance to the poor simpleton.

:loser:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
Our rent has been dropping, but then again we live in Las Vegas.  Our current apartment's rent rates are at the 1998 prices.  Our lease is up in November.  We will see if it goes up or down.  My guess is down.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »

Samantha  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-25-10 12:02 AM
30. Well, I lost $100,000 off the value of this house
 Edited on Sat Sep-25-10 12:02 AM by Samantha
but my property taxes still went up. So did my utilities. So did the rent for the basement here. I couldn't carry the place by myself with everything going up the way it has at the price I formerly charged. Utilities alone in Maryland continue to rise. My theory is with so many bankruptcies and foreclosures, cities still need to make a certain amount to cover their budgets. They have fewer people to collect from, so they just hike up the cost of those still here.

Sam
[

Hmmmm,....let me ask you Sam. How's that "hope and change" working out for ya?!?! Your Dumbo is responsible for your increases in utilities/taxes and so forth. So, what happens when dumbo wants to push his Cap & Trade bill through? Do you think your utility bills will lower?! :hammer: :hammer:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:23:12 PM by TVDOC »

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »
^Not to be a pain in the ass or anything, but do you need some instruction on the use of the "quote" function on the board?

:-)

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline true_blood

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
^Not to be a pain in the ass or anything, but do you need some instruction on the use of the "quote" function on the board?

:-)

doc
PM sent. lol :cheersmate:

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
PM sent. lol :cheersmate:

I knew you could do it!!

Thanks....

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »
Our rent has been dropping, but then again we live in Las Vegas.  Our current apartment's rent rates are at the 1998 prices.  Our lease is up in November.  We will see if it goes up or down.  My guess is down.

Then you'd be the exception, nationally speaking.

When the market was red-hot for housing, particularly in SoCal, home prices were going up by 20-25 percent in the early part of the decade, whereas rents were only increasing by 3-4 percent per year (based on keeping track of places we had lived before we bought).  Now home prices have peaked and are declining, but rents have yet to "catch up".  I can understand were Vegas is different because housing prices are SO depressed and there's so much available inventory, apartments really do have to compete.  Most areas in the country, they don't because apartment occupancy runs in the high-90's.

Case in point--when we bought out house in CA in 2001, Prop 13 says we were limited to a max 2 percent per year increase, regardless of the home's real value (until someone else bought it and it was reappraised).

So if we bought in 2001 for $300K, the 2002 value would max out at $306K, 2003 at just over $312K, and so on.

Had I managed to hold onto the house until now in CA, it would have a taxable appraised value of about $360K based on a purchase 9 years ago at $300K.  However, the PRICES, which peaked in 2006-07, are still well above a 2 percent annual gain...for example, my house sold for DOUBLE the purchase price a mere 5 years after we bought it, and even with the downturn, is still showing a net positive (comps in my old neighborhood are still in the $550-600K range).  Or you could be like the poor dumb bastard who bought our house when the prices were at their absolute peak and not get a drop in his appraised value, unless he managed to apply for one--and trust me, the state of California will NOT make that an easy process on you.

Or, if you're like us up here in NH, even when the appraised value of a home dropped 20 percent since purchase (mine actually dropped 17 percent), the town still has X dollars budgeted, and even with mandated spending caps, the mill rates MUST increase to overcome the decrease in appraised value, which is what happened here--my tax rate went from $20 per $1000 appraised to just under $23 per $1000 appraised, yet I managed to (for now) pay less. 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:19:52 AM »
Well let me see, people who own homes that choose to rent them have their taxes to pay and their mortgage on that place if they still carry 1, add to that insurance, the fact that the landlord has to make all repairs, and they'd like to maybe make a small profit.

You have to understand though the first two rules of DUmmy economic theory...

Rule #1   Give me money

Rule #2   Give me more

The pot smoke makes things kind of hazy after that.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »
You have to understand though the first two rules of DUmmy economic theory...

Rule #1   Give me money

Rule #2   Give me more

The pot smoke makes things kind of hazy after that.

:lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :hi5: given!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »
Any accountants here who want to explain how this will work out ?

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-24-10 10:04 PM
Response to Reply #14
18. It's an investment, not a cash cow.  
 But believe me, I've often said exactly the same thing to the family. 

Let's say in this example they operate at break even and deduct the cost of improvements on a yearly basis to lower their taxes.  Since this is an investment property how will this affect the cost basis on sale?    What percentage of the profit will be taxable and what will be the tax rate on capital gain?  Methinks someone may be in for a rude awakening.

Seems there are some real exploitation capitalists hiding at the dump.  (How many are running illegal 'basement apartments' and not declaring the income on their taxes?)  Sam, you paying taxes on the income from that hovel or are you commiting tax evasion??

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Then you'd be the exception, nationally speaking.

When the market was red-hot for housing, particularly in SoCal, home prices were going up by 20-25 percent in the early part of the decade, whereas rents were only increasing by 3-4 percent per year (based on keeping track of places we had lived before we bought).  Now home prices have peaked and are declining, but rents have yet to "catch up".  I can understand were Vegas is different because housing prices are SO depressed and there's so much available inventory, apartments really do have to compete.  Most areas in the country, they don't because apartment occupancy runs in the high-90's.

Case in point--when we bought out house in CA in 2001, Prop 13 says we were limited to a max 2 percent per year increase, regardless of the home's real value (until someone else bought it and it was reappraised).

So if we bought in 2001 for $300K, the 2002 value would max out at $306K, 2003 at just over $312K, and so on.

Had I managed to hold onto the house until now in CA, it would have a taxable appraised value of about $360K based on a purchase 9 years ago at $300K.  However, the PRICES, which peaked in 2006-07, are still well above a 2 percent annual gain...for example, my house sold for DOUBLE the purchase price a mere 5 years after we bought it, and even with the downturn, is still showing a net positive (comps in my old neighborhood are still in the $550-600K range).  Or you could be like the poor dumb bastard who bought our house when the prices were at their absolute peak and not get a drop in his appraised value, unless he managed to apply for one--and trust me, the state of California will NOT make that an easy process on you.

Or, if you're like us up here in NH, even when the appraised value of a home dropped 20 percent since purchase (mine actually dropped 17 percent), the town still has X dollars budgeted, and even with mandated spending caps, the mill rates MUST increase to overcome the decrease in appraised value, which is what happened here--my tax rate went from $20 per $1000 appraised to just under $23 per $1000 appraised, yet I managed to (for now) pay less. 

It is all a crap shoot now a days.-------Rent VS Owning-----

Benefits of renting an apartment-----little to no yard work---Hotwater heater, winter heater or air conditioning ,stove or refrigerator blows up, not your problem.  A bad storm takes off the shingles on the roof, a flood comes along----not your problem.

Noisy neighbors can be a problem, as can the hike in rent each year.
Then come the rules, no pictures hung with nails on the wall, no pets, no smoking no guests that stay more then 7 days.  

Buying a  home has even more problems.    Anything that goes wrong is your responsibility, from needing new wiring, up dating plumbing, major appliances die on you, wondering if your insurance company will drop you due to storm damage or the area you bought into takes a turn for the worse. One can spend countless hours painting the outside, mowing the grass, BUT, if a meths lab moves in next to you, the neighbors allow their property to go to hell, no way can you just move out and sell for anything but a loss.

Then owning has to take into consideration that if you wish to install a garage, put up a high HAM antenna, raise chickens then there are zoning problems and the scum bags that surround you can put a halt to your project are Abattoir's and have no need to put out one penny for a lawyer but YOU do.   Every improvement you make will cost you an arm and a leg, build a deck and property taxes go up, put in a pool, ouch, that will hurt on resale as I know of people that when selling had to fill in their $40,000 pools to lower the huge tax hike for a buyer.

All up to you how you wish to live, spend $2,000 bucks on a flat screen TV 0r take a Cruse, buy a brand new car and pay $400. a month or visit a state that you have never been to.

It is priorities here, What do you want to do with your life.??

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
Not really--with the exception of RAPIDLY declining markets, it's always better to own than rent.  Hell, I know a bunch of folks who bought in CA on the downside and turned the houses into rental properties, going for MORE than the monthly nut of their mortgage/taxes/insurance.

And when the market recovers (and mark my words, it will eventually) those people are going to be the ones who are that much farther ahead.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 10:30:17 AM »
Then come the rules, no pictures hung with nails on the wall, no pets, no smoking no guests that stay more then 7 days.   

That all depends where you rent and who your landlord is, really.

All the apartments we rented at allowed us to hang up pictures.  It was drilling into the wall that was a no-no, unless you knew how to plug the wall before the final walk through.

We have four cats.

You can smoke in your apartment.  We are non-smokers, but you are allowed to smoke in your unit.  Most of our neighbors chose to smoke outdoors though.

We can have guests stay for a couple of weeks if we want, they just cannot accept mail without being added to the lease.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

'Zackly.  Unless a new owner just bought the place at a big write-down price in a distress sale, or the old one refinanced at a huge savings, the current housing market prices have no relation whatsoever to the owner's fixed costs and not much effect at all on the variable ones (Some might go lower but some would rise, such as property taxes in all likelihood).  If the owner has any room to lower prices for competitive reasons, that's all on the profit margin end, and if occupancy is down or delinquency up there may not even be one, or the owner may already be in the red just trying to hang on for better days to come.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Any accountants here who want to explain how this will work out ?

Let's say in this example they operate at break even and deduct the cost of improvements on a yearly basis to lower their taxes.  Since this is an investment property how will this affect the cost basis on sale?    What percentage of the profit will be taxable and what will be the tax rate on capital gain?  Methinks someone may be in for a rude awakening.

Seems there are some real exploitation capitalists hiding at the dump.  (How many are running illegal 'basement apartments' and not declaring the income on their taxes?)  Sam, you paying taxes on the income from that hovel or are you commiting tax evasion??

If they are "breaking even"....they are able to cover the mortgage, taxes, repairs. They are not showing any profit.

When they go to sell it....they merely quote the operating expenses(excepting the mortgage payment) as they are, and the rent amounts. They don't quote their mortgage payment amount as it is not applicable to a potential buyer.

To a buyer paying cash, the property is possibly a "cash cow" as they will only have operating expenses, most if not all will be deductible.

To a buyer paying with a mortgage, the new buyer will have to determine if the property is worth the costs as the mortgage payments will have to be figured into the operating expenses for the new buyer.

Capital gains have to be paid on all property sold with the exception of a primary residence that seller must have  occupied 2 out of the last 5 years. Capital gains is based on purchase price compared with sales price, with improvement costs(new roof, windows, HVAC systems - stuff that becomes permanent to the building) taken into consideration. All other deductions/income (property taxes, rent monies, repairs, etc) are entered into yearly taxes.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
If they are "breaking even"....they are able to cover the mortgage, taxes, repairs. They are not showing any profit.

When they go to sell it....they merely quote the operating expenses(excepting the mortgage payment) as they are, and the rent amounts. They don't quote their mortgage payment amount as it is not applicable to a potential buyer.

To a buyer paying cash, the property is possibly a "cash cow" as they will only have operating expenses, most if not all will be deductible.

To a buyer paying with a mortgage, the new buyer will have to determine if the property is worth the costs as the mortgage payments will have to be figured into the operating expenses for the new buyer.

Capital gains have to be paid on all property sold with the exception of a primary residence that seller must have  occupied 2 out of the last 5 years. Capital gains is based on purchase price compared with sales price, with improvement costs(new roof, windows, HVAC systems - stuff that becomes permanent to the building) taken into consideration. All other deductions/income (property taxes, rent monies, repairs, etc) are entered into yearly taxes.

I can't help think the OP figures the investment's value will come from appreciation at sale, color me dubious.  If you rent at break even or a loss you could end up working for nothing.  There are lots of headaches with rentals not all are tenant related. 

Offline jukin

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

That's what i have always thought.  Whenever any situation comes up the DUmbasses naturally think of some mean and sinister motive.  Me thinks that it is only because that is what the DUchebag would have done if similar circumstance were to happen to him/her/it.  I bet 90% if the time that is correct.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
I can't help think the OP figures the investment's value will come from appreciation at sale, color me dubious.  If you rent at break even or a loss you could end up working for nothing.  There are lots of headaches with rentals not all are tenant related. 

The investment value should come when the OP sells the property. Depending on when and what they paid for the property, they should see an appreciation. Even with the market down now, it will go back up. May take until after the new president is elected and inaugerated to see it start to improve though.

In the meantime, they are getting some tax write-offs...enough to offset the income from the rent and maybe more that affects their bottom line on what they pay to the IRS.

There are a lot of factors involved, that from our standpoint in reading the OP, we don't know.

In theory, there should be an appreciation over time. Provided OP got a good deal on the original purchase, sell at an appreciated rate, and doesn't get screwed over in capital gains. I know a lot of investors who have purchased rental properties over time, and those properties provide retirement income.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:36 AM »

The investment value should come when the OP sells the property. Depending on when and what they paid for the property, they should see an appreciation. Even with the market down now, it will go back up. May take until after the new president is elected and inaugerated to see it start to improve though.

In the meantime, they are getting some tax write-offs...enough to offset the income from the rent and maybe more that affects their bottom line on what they pay to the IRS.

There are a lot of factors involved, that from our standpoint in reading the OP, we don't know.

In theory, there should be an appreciation over time. Provided OP got a good deal on the original purchase, sell at an appreciated rate, and doesn't get screwed over in capital gains. I know a lot of investors who have purchased rental properties over time, and those properties provide retirement income.

Yes, several folk I know do this, but, to the rank and file dummy they are little more than greedy capitalist pigs  exploiting the little guy.  Dummies are among the worlds greatest hypocrites. Wait until Obie-wun and friends increase capital gain rates and watch them squea. The big cash out with be a costly adventure.  And what will happen with no mortgage and depreciation to ameliorate the tax bite on the rent income under the dims? Soak the rich and all that filthy unearned income.  :naughty:  They will love paying their fair share. :rotf:

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »
HEY DUMMIES...don't like paying rent...it's your lucky day...it's that time of year when WAL-MART usually runs sales on tents...buy one and stop paying rent.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »
HEY DUMMIES...don't like paying rent...it's your lucky day...it's that time of year when WAL-MART usually runs sales on tents...buy one and stop paying rent.

Come on JR dummies don't like payin period.  Half live in the basement at mom an pops.  The other half couch surf and leach off society like bobo the hobo.  BTW have you ever watched dummies put up a tent?  I am here to tell you it can be a most entertaining comedy show. Or the great shadow shows from leaving the lantern on. :whatever:

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
Quote from:
EFerrari

It's an investment, not a cash cow.

So rent is break even, you're just wanting to make money off the sale, is that it?

The army vet primitives wants to tax any capital gains you might happen to make off the sale of the rental units at 90%.  You two might want to have a word.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
So rent is break even, you're just wanting to make money off the sale, is that it?

The army vet primitives wants to tax any capital gains you might happen to make off the sale of the rental units at 90%.  You two might want to have a word.

:hi5:

Pretty much sums up the whole reason for this thread.