Author Topic: Editorial Sparks Debate  (Read 2285 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Editorial Sparks Debate
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
This thread has more than meets the eye...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x499100

Algorem (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 10:38 AM
Original message
Obama-hate is getting scary 
http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotian/1155179.html

HARRY BRUCE
Sun. Nov 29 - 4:45 AM

As Michael Tomasky writes in The New York Review of Books, "This conservative protest movement has three powerful forces supporting it: bottomless amounts of corporate money; an ideologically dedicated press, radio, and cable television apparatus eager to tout its existence; and elected officials who are willing to embrace it publicly and whose votes in support of the movement’s positions can be absolutely relied upon."...

The poisoning of America’s political climate frightens no less seasoned an observer than Thomas L. Friedman of the New York Times. It reminds him of the mood in Israel just before the assassination in 1995 of prime minister Yitzhak Rabin...

"Americans have forgotten that Dallas right-wingers bitterly protested President John F. Kennedy’s visit to Dallas; that the presidential motorcade was greeted with signs expressing contempt for JFK; that even as JFK’s limousine came under rifle fire, right-wingers were present taunting him; that even after he was a corpse there were protesters nearby displaying insulting placards. Americans have also forgotten the joy with which right-wingers reacted to the assassination."...

Believe me, it was fear I felt, not a bit of enjoyment, when I read the opinion of Washington journalist Eric Boehlert that the radical right in the U.S., aided by "a Republican Noise Machine that positively dwarfs" what existed when Kennedy was assassinated, "has turned demonizing Obama — making him into a vile object of disgust — into a crusade.

Harry Bruce’s column appears every other week in The NovaScotian.

The OP does an interesting job of editing out the most objectionable parts of this the piece.  It is suggested reading ( link in the quote above) for those with a strong stomach only.   As a wise man noted on this board always check the original dummy source. 

Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 10:40 AM
Response to Original message
1. sadly, you need look no further than DU if you want to find vast reserves of Obama hate

We begin with a pretty benign reply which generates the following exchange:

lazer47 (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 10:45 AM
Response to Reply #1
2. When you become truly disappointed with someone
 that doesn't mean you hate them,, it simply means that you have become disappointed with how they have become...
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Next a typical drama queen post:

rucky  (1000+ posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 10:47 AM
Response to Reply #1
3. You're making light of a serious threat.
 Nobody here is wishing for his death.

Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 11:00 AM
Response to Reply #3
6. no, they just wish he was never President, and will do everything they can to stop his re-election
 do you deny this?

I wonder how many dummies spent time in remedial reading ??  But I do digress.

Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 11:34 AM
Response to Reply #11
13. not voting for him may not take his life, but it will assure the deaths of many in the future
 if he is not re-elected

What is more important, one man's life, or the lives of millions?

This post elicits the following:

tekisui  (1000+ posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 11:40 AM
Response to Reply #13
14. What is he, a savior of mankind? 

He is going to save the lives of millions or another president is going to kill millions?

You are out to lunch.

Which spins the Armchair primitive to post more:

Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 11:46 AM
Response to Reply #14
15. You doubt that Palin's policies would ensure the deaths of millions
 Bush's certainly did.

And yes, Obama's policies will save the lives of millions over the next few generations.

If you cannot see that,
then you suffer from a severe lack of vision.

Presidents change the course of history.
That is a proven fact.

Which generates this response:

Syntheto (182 posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #13
16. WTF are you talking about???
 That kind of rhetoric makes me puke... He's a friggin' politician, nothing more, nothing less! Millions of people gonna die if he ain't elected next time? Jesus H. tap-dancing Christ, this Obama worship is the scariest thing I've seen in a long time. Either he does the job he got elected for this time around, and gets the electorate's okay for another 4 year term or he's out, and somebody else gets a shot at it. It is up to the electoral process, whether you like it or not. The day somebody starts saying that we don't need any more elections, because Obama has so much left to do and elections are dishonest anyway and a pointless waste of precious time, is the day the barricades go up. You folks who keep pushing this whole cult of personality thing with this guy better get your heads out of wherever it is you're keeping them stuffed to avoid the sun and get real.

HE'S A POLITICIAN... HE'S A HUMAN BEING... IF HE DOES A GOOD JOB, THEN HE'LL GET REELECTED, IF HE DOESN'T GET A DAMNED THING DONE OR IMPROVE ANYTHING, HE WON'T GET REELECTED. THERE ARE NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES. 

Even more unprecedented this response generates dump-land high five's...

Myrina  (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 12:16 PM
Response to Reply #16
18. Best Post of the Day!

But then reality at the dump grinds to a halt, because, it's so simple, blame the infamous Military Industrial Complex ( and Capitalism in general ).

ShortnFiery  (1000+ posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 02:46 PM
Response to Original message
29. It's not hatred of Obama, the man, but an INTENSE sense of disappointment due to his
 cold, calculating PRAGMATISM which *always* favors THE RICH POLITICAL ELITES who comprise the moneyed banking interest and the Military Industrial Complex.

His behavior or LACK thereof speaks for itself.

HOPE FADES especially for those of us self identified LIBERAL Democrats. 

This is the way the thread will end,

Not with a bang but a whimper.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Editorial Sparks Debate
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 11:34 AM
Response to Reply #11
13. not voting for him may not take his life, but it will assure the deaths of many in the future
 if he is not re-elected

What is more important, one man's life, or the lives of millions?

Emotionally overwrought bunch of drama queens on the island today.
They seem to sense that 2010 is very likely lost as is their dream of free healthcare and are in a terrible bitter funk over it all.

:hyper:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »
Man, I can never find the good bonfires where the primitives are stoned.

Great find, zeitgeist, sir!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
I remember JFK's presidency and assassination very well. There was much hatred for his snotty little brother Bobby, but I recall nothing like that directed toward the President himself. Perhaps that was different in Texas, but at the time Texas was a democrat state, since in the early 60s the lunatics had not yet taken over the democrat party.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:17:17 AM »
All this talk of millions of lives lost or saved and not one mention of the millions of unborn children killed by the liberal policy of cheap and easy abortion.  :censored:

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
Syntheto (185 posts)        Mon Nov-30-09 06:12 AM
Response to Reply #34
38. You're an idiot...
 ...plain and simple... My great-grandchildren indeed... based on what? What he's done so far? Give me a break, fool. This hero worship is bizarre, and I don't need a pie-eyed moonbat like you to lecture me on what my great-grandchildren will be thankful for... I think your great-grandchildren will curse you for voting for Obama... now what do you say about that? You have no idea what you're even talking about, just a visceral reaction to any sort of reminder that this guy is transitory and a mere human being... let's see how he does in the next election, and I'll take my chances with my great-grandchildren...
:-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
Good to see OMC back! :evillaugh:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »
This was indeed an excellent find, Zeitgeist.  Thank you.  May I nominate the following for the stupidest post of the day?

Aramchek (1000+ posts)      Sun Nov-29-09 11:46 AM
Response to Reply #14
15. You doubt that Palin's policies would ensure the deaths of millions
 Bush's certainly did.

And yes, Obama's policies will save the lives of millions over the next few generations.

If you cannot see that,
then you suffer from a severe lack of vision.

Presidents change the course of history.
That is a proven fact.

How come they never enumerate just who these "millions" are that Bush, in his murderous rampage, dispatched?   Or what Obama would do to save "millions."  Is that like jobs saved?  It's so stupid it almost looks like a mole poking fun at them. 

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
bos1 (799 posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 02:10 PM
Response to Reply #23
25. Extreme? Really? Are you aware of the achievements, the triumphs against all odds? 
::)

billh58  (961 posts)        Sun Nov-29-09 03:34 PM
Response to Reply #25
30. Those don't count
 because everyone did not get a pony.
     :-)

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
How come they never enumerate just who these "millions" are that Bush, in his murderous rampage, dispatched?   Or what Obama would do to save "millions."  Is that like jobs saved?  It's so stupid it almost looks like a mole poking fun at them. 

They don't want to detail the folks intentionally ushered into eternity by W because the applause from decent and civilized people would be too loud.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
While there was an abject emotional all consuming hatred for Bush on the left, I do not remember any person of the right thinking he walked on water.  In fact, many were upset with his policies but it was better than the alternative. Now this unadulterated man love for The One from the left and reasoned arguments for not like the policies of his agenda from the right.

I'm now psychologist but I think that there says something about the mental condition of those on the left.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
While there was an abject emotional all consuming hatred for Bush on the left, I do not remember any person of the right thinking he walked on water.  In fact, many were upset with his policies but it was better than the alternative. Now this unadulterated man love for The One from the left and reasoned arguments for not like the policies of his agenda from the right.

I'm now psychologist but I think that there says something about the mental condition of those on the left.

The cult of the personality, and the cult of the anti-personality, one supposes.

If one likes "A," for example, no matter what "A" does, it's okay.

If one loathes "B," on the other hand, no matter what "B" does, it's bad.

Even if both "A" and "B" do exactly the same thing.

I've spent a lifetime noticing that people who have a strong sense of God don't do any of this cult stuff; they judge people based upon what they do, not who they are.

On the flip side of the coin, people who angrily deny God need something somehow to fill a certain void, and idolize some "god" or "gods," at the same time demonizing some "Satan" or "Satans."

Thus we had the cult of the Impeached One, and the current cult of Bo, neither of whom could do any wrong, and their opponents, none of whom could do any right, no matter what one did.

There has never been a cult of Ronald Reagan or George Bush, who've always been judged by their supporters, both lukewarm and enthusiastic, by what they did, and not by who they were.

As freerepublic, our old home, and conservativecave have demonstrated,
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »
Though I remain a strong supporter, I do not believe W could walk on water.
Ronald Reagan, on the other hand, could have, if he had felt it would be good for America.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
The cult of the personality, and the cult of the anti-personality, one supposes.

If one likes "A," for example, no matter what "A" does, it's okay.

If one loathes "B," on the other hand, no matter what "B" does, it's bad.

Even if both "A" and "B" do exactly the same thing.

I've spent a lifetime noticing that people who have a strong sense of God don't do any of this cult stuff; they judge people based upon what they do, not who they are.

On the flip side of the coin, people who angrily deny God need something somehow to fill a certain void, and idolize some "god" or "gods," at the same time demonizing some "Satan" or "Satans."

Thus we had the cult of the Impeached One, and the current cult of Bo, neither of whom could do any wrong, and their opponents, none of whom could do any right, no matter what one did.

There has never been a cult of Ronald Reagan or George Bush, who've always been judged by their supporters, both lukewarm and enthusiastic, by what they did, and not by who they were.

As freerepublic, our old home, and conservativecave have demonstrated,

There's a further twist on the left's cult of personality/anti-personality that came out with the bush-haters:  many of the most vocal, visceral bush haters had a pathological need to see themselves as progressive, intellectual, rational beings who made every decision based on reasoned argument and, as a consequence, they started developing the "argument" that it was "rational" to feel irrational hatred toward Bush.  Truly amazing.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
There's a further twist on the left's cult of personality/anti-personality that came out with the bush-haters:  many of the most vocal, visceral bush haters had a pathological need to see themselves as progressive, intellectual, rational beings who made every decision based on reasoned argument and, as a consequence, they started developing the "argument" that it was "rational" to feel irrational hatred toward Bush.  Truly amazing.

Both you and Frank make great points. I have known many intelligent liberals but I have met few who can combine that with logical thought based on facts.  Most make decisions on feelings and a need to be accepted by the herd. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
You know for people who cried chimpeachment and publicly called for a sitting president to be executed they sure are whiny when Obama gets criticized.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »
FFS Kennedy was killed by a freakin' commie.

Someone offing Obama would be horrible. America would be torn apart. President Biden anyone? Making a martyr out of a fool who is well on his way to making democrat a dirty work to the American voter. A young man with a family. C'mon DUmmies. What the Hell? For the few reasons listed above and 1000 more, God keep our POTUS safe from harm.

Projection is an ugly thing DU.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
FFS Kennedy was killed by a freakin' commie.

Someone offing Obama would be horrible. America would be torn apart. President Biden anyone? Making a martyr out of a fool who is well on his way to making democrat a dirty work to the American voter. A young man with a family. C'mon DUmmies. What the Hell? For the few reasons listed above and 1000 more, God keep our POTUS safe from harm.

Projection is an ugly thing DU.

The only thing worse for this country than the 0Bama presidency would be an untimely end to his presidency.  I think it would bring about anarchy.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
As Michael Tomasky writes in The New York Review of Books, "The Democrat Party has three powerful forces supporting it: bottomless amounts of corporate money; an ideologically dedicated press, radio, and cable television apparatus eager to tout its existence; and elected officials who are willing to embrace it publicly and whose votes in support of the movement’s positions can be absolutely relied upon."...

Fixed for accuracy.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
The only thing worse for this country than the 0Bama presidency would be an untimely end to his presidency.  I think it would bring about anarchy.

No joke. Talking... time to "Mad Max out my Toyota" kind of anarchy. All for a fool who is destroying himself and not slowly. Whack-jobs of the world, for all that is Holy leave Obama alone!

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Quote from:
The poisoning of America’s political climate frightens no less seasoned an observer than Thomas L. Friedman of the New York Times. It reminds him of the mood in Israel just before the assassination in 1995 of prime minister Yitzhak Rabin.

As part of the Oslo accords, Rabin wanted to trade land for peace with the Palestinians, but Israeli right-wingers accused him of treason, depicted him as a Nazi SS officer, bellowed death threats at his rallies,

Hey Tom, where were you the last 8 years when the left were saying the same things about Bush?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline kenth

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »

I don't know that it would bring about anarchy, but as Rearden said above, it would make him a martyr. It would be worse than "Camelot". I do think there would be riots, but as usual, it would more or less be a normal riotous case of people defecating where they eat.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 05:20:13 AM »
Hey Tom, where were you the last 8 years when the left were saying the same things about Bush?

Hell, he was part of an organization that was one of those saying some of those things!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.