Author Topic: cooking and baking primitives discuss.....uh, something  (Read 612 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
cooking and baking primitives discuss.....uh, something
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x70020

Oh my.

Denninmi  (9 posts)      Sat Oct-17-09 12:45 PM
Original message

Anyone here use Paw Paws?

Hello. I'm pretty new here, been reading a while, not really posting. I got sick of the right wing nutcases on some other forums, so thought I'd hang out in a better neighborhood for a while. Not that cooking is very political.

Does anyone here use paw paws for anything? I've got several trees, and I didn't like them so much at first, but they are sort of an acquired taste, kind of like caviar, that really grows on you.

One of my favorite uses is to make paw paw blondies. I actually used Martha Stewart's butterscotch blondie recipe and adapted it a bit, substituting mashed paw paw for the butterscotch chips, and adding a bit more flour to compensate for the extra moisture. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Anyone else use paw paws?

What the Hades are "paw paws"?

It sounds like something a dog leaves as a souvenir.

The imperious primitive:

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-17-09 12:52 PM
Response to Original message

1. I have never had a paw paw

I never lived anywhere they grew. Aren't they only in the south? What are they like?

Denninmi  (9 posts)      Sat Oct-17-09 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Paw Paws.

Hi, well, traditionally considered a southern/midwestern thing, but actually they are hardy into S. Ontario. I live in the suburbs of Detroit, and they are completely hard here.

The fruit is sort of interesting, kind of a combination of things. Texture is similar to very ripe mango or ripe banana. Flavor is hard to describe. It has a predominantly banana flavor, but it has overtones of butterscotch/caramel flavors and it has a little bit of a sort of resinous flavor that is concentrated right under the skin. They do have big, black seeds that have to be removed.

Oh.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-17-09 09:06 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I think they don't travel or keep well

I bet it's one of those love em or hate em kind of things as well. But I've been singing the song all day and wondering if I can grow one in WA state. I may have to investigate the growing.

Denninmi  (9 posts)      Sun Oct-18-09 08:18 AM
Response to Reply #4

6. They're fragile.

Hi, no, one reason they don't sell them commercially is that they are very fragile. They bruise easily, and they only last about 3 days once ripened. Like a banana, they go from green to yellow to black as they age.

They would grow very well in most parts of Washington state, except perhaps the cold desert or very high altitude regions. Hardy to about -20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does one suppose the diminished primitive is 5412's mole?

Beacool  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-17-09 11:20 PM

5. I had never heard of this fruit, so I went searching for info.

after which a photograph of a couple of gourds growing on a tree

surrealAmerican  (1000+ posts)      Sun Oct-18-09 11:11 PM

8. I've always wanted to try those.

Unfortunately, I live in the city, and have no yard.

You could probably use them in jams or preserves of some sort, and likely in custards too.

Sentath  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-19-09 05:49 PM

9. Oh oh oh, There is a festival in Ohio

http://www.ohiopawpawfest.com /

When I was small my father and a friend would go hunting and come back with buckets of them. I went to the festival a few years ago and still have the shirt.

I haven't found a stand to pick, too much of the river bottom land that they prefer has been plowed.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: cooking and baking primitives discuss.....uh, something
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
Does one suppose the diminished primitive is 5412's mole?

Heh, heh. You read my mind Coach!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:50:01 AM »
Heh, heh. You read my mind Coach!

LOL, 5412 seems like a smart guy, hopefully his mole would be a bit better concealed.   :tongue:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
Hmmm.. paw paws sound like a fruity version of okra... blech!

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
When I was a little girl my Nana, who grew up in Arkansas and Kansas, would sing "Way Down Yonder in the Paw-Paw Patch" to me while I followed her around as she did her housework.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
When I was a little girl my Nana, who grew up in Arkansas and Kansas, would sing "Way Down Yonder in the Paw-Paw Patch" to me while I followed her around as she did her housework.

I had never heard of this phenomenon, "Paw Paws."

I've heard of a lot of things in my life, but never of these, uh, things, whatever they are.

Now, I'm supposing "Paw Paws" is the "baby-name" of these things, much like how the primitives give baby-names to vegetables.

What does one suppose the real name, the grown-up name, of these are?

Maybe I've heard that one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »

I've heard of a lot of things in my life, but never of these, uh, things, whatever they are.

Now, I'm supposing "Paw Paws" is the "baby-name" of these things, much like how the primitives give baby-names to vegetables.

Hands?  :whatever: :uhsure:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »

Nope, pawpaw is the proper name of the tree and fruit. I think it's supposed to be one word, but you see it written both ways. In fact, as I recall there is a town called Paw Paw in West Virginia. The tree is fairly common in the South.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »
I always thought Paw Paw was a baby name for 'grandfather'.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.