Author Topic: Rockhead's connection free day  (Read 1473 times)

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
Rockhead's connection free day
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
MineralMan (94,776 posts)         https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029191715

All Day Power Outage in St. Paul Kept Me Offline Yesterday
In came the big thunderstorm, with tons of lightning, hail and high winds at about 9AM. Before it started, my wife and I pulled the plug on all AC-powered electronics. I learned that lesson when lightning took out all my computers, 25 years ago in California.

Sure enough, after a nearby lightning strike, out went the power to our house and about 100,000 other power company customers in the Twin Cities. So, I got to have 8 hours of connection-free time. In many ways, it was a good thing, No TV. No computers. Cell service was down, too.

Once the storm passed, we took the dogs for a walk, relaxed, and I even had a rare nap on a Sunday afternoon. We went out to a local restaurant for lunch and another one for dinner, another rare treat.

About 5 PM, the lights came back on, just in time to watch the evening news. We were lucky. There are still about 20,000 customers without power this morning in the Twin Cities.

We did have to toss some stuff from the refrigerator and freezer, though, but that was a good excuse to clean the thing out. Ugh! Some of the stuff on the back of the shelves appeared to be prehistoric science projects.

Back to work...

Back to work ? Bashing the president ?

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
Re: Rockhead's connection free day
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:06 AM »
Yeah, my power goes out sometimes during storms.  My propane powered Kohler generator kicks in and we enjoy life as usual.  We have good surge protectors on sensitive electrical equipment.

It must SUCK to be a DUmmy.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
Sounds like MM didn't doesn't know that, while fairly effective, the Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) based surge protection in power strip do have a finite life. Where he lives, he should probably replace the power strips every 2-4 years, depending on the frequency of thunderstorms. Or if he has the techno-chops, open up the power strips and replace the MOVs, maybe even with parts that have better energy absorption than the originals.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
Yeah, my power goes out sometimes during storms.  My propane powered Kohler generator kicks in and we enjoy life as usual.  We have good surge protectors on sensitive electrical equipment.

It must SUCK to be a DUmmy.
MM is green, and uses a squirrel-powered back-up generator. But they are union squirrels, so they were out on coffee break.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »
All his ac powered electronics? Does he still get DC where he lives? Power was off for 8 hours and his food in the fridge went bad?

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
I know, they tossed stuff after a mere 8 hours?  If you keep everything shut, it should be fine.  Food today has so many preservatives anyway. 

Thanks Rockhead, for the extremely thrilling tale of a power outage.  I was on the edge of my seat. 

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
No TV. No computers. Cell service was down, too.

I live in Texas.  We get a "few" thunderstorms.  In my ~30 years of being a subscriber I don't ever remember my cell phone service going down as a result of a thunderstorm. 

We went out to a local restaurant for lunch and another one for dinner, another rare treat.

So, that power outage was intermittent?  (assuming it was also local)
Deplorable since 2016

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:49:52 AM »
I live in Texas.  We get a "few" thunderstorms.  In my ~30 years of being a subscriber I don't ever remember my cell phone service going down as a result of a thunderstorm. 
I've had it happen occasionally, but only very occasionally, and not in a long time.  Back then, we only had a couple of cell towers out where we lived, in a hilly area, and they didn't have back-up generators at the time.  Nowadays, I would be very surprised to find a cell tower that didn't have a generator.

So, that power outage was intermittent?  (assuming it was also local)
Well, it depends upon how the place is wired.  Around Nashville, it's actually rather common for power to be out on one side of the street and the other side of the street has electricity.  This is often strange and annoying if you're the unfortunate one without power, but OTOH, it means that there's a reasonably good chance that some restaurant or store just a couple of blocks away actually has power and is operational.  Given that few power outages last more than an hour or two around here, it's really only a minor annoyance either way.

Now, I have no clue how Minneapolis/St. Paul is wired for electricity, so I can hardly say definitively that this is the case for Rock Head, but it's at least a possibility in Nashville.

Of course, none of this addresses the fact that this fool has gone to gripe at DU over a brief inconvenience of losing power from his government-monopoly electric company....