Author Topic: Hobo brought to his knees  (Read 3252 times)

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
Hobo brought to his knees
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029108451

Hobo (574 posts)

Well my DU friends I have finally brought to my knees
Trying to survive in this world, after being down sized a year ago, I have come to the end of the road. Savings are gone, driving for Uber is not making ends meet any more. My cell has been turned off, so I won't be able to drive until phone is turned back on. I am using WiFi at local library to read and post. After tonight I will be forced to live in my car. I have applied to over 1000 positions. I am a mechanical engineer with 38 years experience, I have gotten 1 interview past the phone screens. I never get a reason why my degree and experience can't land me a job, all I hear is crickets. I know my age has a lot to do with it. Companies are going to the young people recently graduated, plus in my line of work there is a lot of outsourcing to what is called High Value Engineering Centers, mostly located in India. I have applied at best buy, barnes and nobles, car dealerships and still nothing. This is America in 2017. I was hoping to work until I could collect my social security which I paid into the maximum every year. Now it seems even if I find a way to reach it it would not be there. This is America in 2017.

So after tonight I will only be able to lurk intermittently when I can use some free WiFi. I will of course continue resisting. I still have a soul and reason to live. I am down but not defeated. I will be back on my feet soon. I hope.

Thank you to all here for being my safe place in times of trouble since 2001 and my clubhouse in the good times.

I hope to be able to check back soon

Peace

Hobo

Anyone on DU under 50 ? TMN, Rock head, and others are 70+

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
Re: Hobo brought to his knees
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
Felony drug convictions, 302 involuntary vacations in the rubber room and/or domestic abuse restraining orders?
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
The unemployment rate was 4.4 percent in April. The Federal Researve considers full employment to be between 5-5.2%. That means there are barely enough workers to fill current demand.

There is something he is not telling us.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
in my line of work there is a lot of outsourcing to what is called High Value Engineering Centers, mostly located in India

There's the problem right there, idiot.
And you deride the President because he wants to bring jobs BACK to America?
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »
If the jobs are in India, move there. I hear the cost of living is really cheap. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »

There always is.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »

No doubt.  The fact that he apparently stopped with his BSME would definitely not help getting a job in his field, anyone hiring from that age group would be looking for at least a master's.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
The unemployment rate was 4.4 percent in April. The Federal Researve considers full employment to be between 5-5.2%. That means there are barely enough workers to fill current demand.

The labor participation rate is also up slightly from the Obamaconomy. Speaking of which, "Hobo" was laid off in that wondrous Obamaconomy. There's definitely more to this story, IMO:

* Outsourcing is as much bogeyman as reality. It has and does happen. And some outsourced jobs have been returning, for several years. The problems of communication, skills match, quality, and employee have shown US companies the downside of outsourcing;

* I went through an unforced job search last summer. I'm not a young guy, but I started my new job after 2-3 months' search, and another company was also interested in me. If you have the desired/needed knowledge and skills, age is not an insuperable barrier;

* The "Survival Job" (low-paid near entry-level job) strategy can work, but you have to understand 3 things. First, the prospective employer knows you will bail as soon as you find a job in your field. So the cost of employing you includes having to retrain a new person, possibly very soon. Second, you will have a lot of competition for an entry-level job. Third, entry-level jobs are a threatened species. Even before the $15 per hour movement, minimum wage increases have forced employers to minimize entry-level jobs. And if you live in a $15/hour city, YASS!

Unless "Hobo" lives in a dying employment market, there's probably some performance-character issue that's keeping him from being hired. "Medical" MJ? Job-hopper? Criminal record? Known malcontent? Posted stupidity on FB? Lots of possibilities.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
Quote from:
Hobo

I will of course continue resisting.

As will employers. No one wants a moonbat on the payroll.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
I understand the coal mines are hiring again.  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
Hobo

I will of course continue resisting.
resisting the President who is trying to get your job back. Talk about voting against your own best interests.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
Hey HOBO...try this link you just might find a company that's hiring:

http://www.dailyjobfix.com/
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Hobo made enough over 38 yrs. to pay max SS but didn't save enough to get past a rough spot. I agree there is much left unsaid in his post.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
 :thatsright: It occurred to me a few minutes ago. We have something unusual and tell-tale in this DU-post, A Prog That Didn't Whine. :thatsright: Specifically, "Hobo" didn't whine along the lines of, "Unemployment didn't even pay my rent, so I had to ...". Or, "Unemployment only lasted XX weeks, so I had to ...". Not even, "I applied for Unemployment but got rejected, so I ...". :thatsright:

In other words, even though UE can last up to 73 weeks, he didn't mention it at all. Since DU-folks and Libs/Progs tend to have considerable expertise in getting government bennies, that silence strongly suggests "Hobo" knew he did not qualify for Unemployment and did not apply. IOW, "Hobo" probably left his job voluntarily, or was fired for cause. If the latter, that might explain his difficulty in getting a job.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:21:43 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline fatboy

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
The DUmmy has been a DUmmy since 2001 but only has 574 DUmmy bucks.

So after tonight I will only be able to lurk intermittently when I can use some free WiFi. I will of course continue resisting. I still have a soul and reason to live. I am down but not defeated. I will be back on my feet soon. I hope.

If your out of work you have plenty of time to hang at the library and post nonsense in DUmmyland so why only lurk intermittently? Oh, I guess he/she/it is waiting for his (now dead) phone to ring with a job offer.  :-)

Also noticed that this dude has not complained that his stash of weed is at an all time low so he must have that going for him.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
I understand the coal mines are hiring again.  :-)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline fatboy

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
Finally, after 34 replies, real help, in the form of vibes and possibly healing white light arrives to Help the Hobo.

Response to Hobo (Original post)

Wed May 24, 2017, 10:48 AM

Star Member onecent (4,534 posts)

34. Hobo, Please don't lose time with DU....everyone here knows so much to help someone.

I will be thinking about you also and sending you good vibes

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »
How many good vibes does it take to pay your phone bill? Are they like bitcoin? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »

If your out of work you have plenty of time to hang at the library and post nonsense in DUmmyland so why only lurk intermittently? Oh, I guess he/she/it is waiting for his (now dead) phone to ring with a job offer.  :-)

Also noticed that this dude has not complained that his stash of weed is at an all time low so he must have that going for him.
Do they still give out Obama phones? Maybe he can get one of those.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jukin

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
I'm trying to remember who and what party has been in control of the presidency for the last 8 years. I think he was the smartest person in the history of the universe and the party is the most caring, smart, and sciency one in mankind's history. This Hobo person must be lying about any pain it has due to Obama and the democrat party.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
Felony drug convictions, 302 involuntary vacations in the rubber room and/or domestic abuse restraining orders?

Details, details!  Minor details!

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
>Well my DU friends I have finally brought to my knees

Take out your teeth and charge double.  Some will consider it a raise.

Offline jukin

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »
>Well my DU friends I have finally brought to my knees

Take out your teeth and charge double.  Some will consider it a raise.

"Cotton, usually you pay double for that."
Pepper Brooks
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »

This dummie reminds me of a dummie named mrc. Dummie mrc was an electrical engineer with 30 some years experience. Lived down in Texas.  This was during the Bush boom years of 2004-2006. Dummie mrc kept whining that he had been unemployed for 5 years and blamed Bush.  Something told me at the time that Dummie mrc was a drunk/druggie. 

I suspect Dummie Hobo is cut from the same cloth.  38 years experience plus 4 years of college would make him about 60.  By that time he should be in some sort of high level position.  Something tells me that dummie hobo never advanced beyond the basic position, probably serviced 1 particular client and when that client went away so did his job.  You got 38 years in the field and you should have an impressive resume. Dummie hobo apparently doesn't and then wants paid what his old job paid.

Dummie hobo, if he had any brains, should offer to work for free for 3 months just to get his foot in the door.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:54 PM »
This dummie reminds me of a dummie named mrc. Dummie mrc was an electrical engineer with 30 some years experience. Lived down in Texas.  This was during the Bush boom years of 2004-2006. Dummie mrc kept whining that he had been unemployed for 5 years and blamed Bush.  Something told me at the time that Dummie mrc was a drunk/druggie. 

I suspect Dummie Hobo is cut from the same cloth.  38 years experience plus 4 years of college would make him about 60.  By that time he should be in some sort of high level position.  Something tells me that dummie hobo never advanced beyond the basic position, probably serviced 1 particular client and when that client went away so did his job.  You got 38 years in the field and you should have an impressive resume. Dummie hobo apparently doesn't and then wants paid what his old job paid.

Dummie hobo, if he had any brains, should offer to work for free for 3 months just to get his foot in the door.

Well, there are some parallels to my situation.  After nearly 40 years in IT I had a major disagreement with my employer -- a global consultancy.  I was on my own.  Unemployed. 

For 1 week. 

I decided to go independent and then pinged my network.  Which I realized was much bigger than I thought. I incorporated and am making about twice what I made as an employee, even when I include paying for our health care.

But for me it was low risk as I could theoretically retire today (I have been running the numbers almost daily for the last 5 years).  I did go ahead and pull the trigger on a modest pension I have from working for the State of California but overall my investments will geberate enough cash flow to keep me afloat.  I have zero debt as we paid off the house when we got the first dividend check.

But I want to circle back to my network:  People seem to like working with me, probably because I am pretty good at what I do and I can't suppress my quirky sense of humor.  Amazingly people like working with others who know what the heck they are doing and make them laugh.

I suspect hobo has no such reputation and has few if any people he worked with who think of him affectionately
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.