Author Topic: Biden: Every great idea needed govt. "vision"  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Biden: Every great idea needed govt. "vision"
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »
Joe Biden is the best player for our side.

“Every single great idea that has marked the 21st century, the 20th century and the 19th century has required government vision and government incentive,” he said. “In the middle of the Civil War you had a guy named Lincoln paying people $16,000 for every 40 miles of track they laid across the continental United States. … No private enterprise would have done that for another 35 years.”

link

Joe's AWESOME!!!!!

Psssst. Nobody tell him about every major inventor of the 20th-21st century, from Edison to Jobs....
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Biden: Every great idea needed govt. "vision"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
the fact that he had to go back 150 years for his example demonstrates just how incredibly retarded that comment is.  just in terms of historical knowledge, it is staggeringly ignorant.  and I don't think that you could find a more revealing statement of the secret perversities that lurk in the shadows of the liberal mind;  that government is the source of all social beneficence.  riiiight.  :jerkit:  good luck with that. :whatever:

that may be the absolute dumbest thing that I have ever heard an elected official say.  it's unsurprising that it came from biden.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »
that may be the absolute dumbest thing that I have ever heard an elected official say.  it's unsurprising that it came from biden.

The problem is that there are lots of dolts out there who think what he said is the absolute truth. :mental:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
I've given this a bit of thought.  off the top of my head, here is a quick list of government accomplishments that the free market couldn't have done better or sooner:

1) free the slaves
2) win the cold war
3) defeat the nazis

(do you sense the pattern here?)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
I've given this a bit of thought.  off the top of my head, here is a quick list of government accomplishments that the free market couldn't have done better or sooner:

1) free the slaves
2) win the cold war
3) defeat the nazis

(do you sense the pattern here?)

Make war, not peace?

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
It was a breathtakingly ignorant thing to say, wasn't it?  When I heard it, I sighed, rolled my eyes, and face-palmed.  I can't take much more of these dolts. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
Make war, not peace?

I think the comparison that I was trying to create was scale; the sheer planetary scope of defeating communism and ending slavery, versus the pinheaded, pencil necked pettiness of hijacking my health insurance.  for the "smart kids", these liberals sure do think small.   but I like the way you think. :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
The decision to pay incentives and give away vast sections of land to build the Transcontinental Railroad was not made to provide jobs or just because the Government thought it'd be cool to have one, it was a strategic matter of moving California gold, Western cattle, and Great Plains wheat as well as getting free transportation for all Government purposes (That last one eventually ended).  You'll notice the Government couldn't build that railway itself, but paid handsomely for two corporations who could build it from each end to do so.

And Joe Biden wouldn't know a good idea if it swam up to him and bit his leg off.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:35:42 PM »
The "bumbler" is at it again I see. The gubberment is the "answer", huh Joe?!? You FAIL! :evillaugh:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:38:06 PM »
The "bumbler" is at it again I see. The gubberment is the "answer", huh Joe?!? You FAIL! :evillaugh:
What other answer can you expect from someone who hasn't had any other job for thirty five years?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.