Author Topic: Details surface of Scott Lee Cohen's 2005 domestic violence arrest  (Read 6720 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Scott Lee Cohen -- a pawnbroker who shocked state Democratic leaders Tuesday night by winning the party's nomination for lieutenant governor -- was arrested about four-and-a-half years ago and accused of holding a knife to a former live-in girlfriend's neck, newly obtained court records show.

The misdemeanor charge against Cohen was dropped weeks later when the woman -- who had just been found guilty of prostitution -- failed to show up to testify, according to those records.

This isn't the only piece of information Republicans might try to use against the Democratic gubernatorial ticket, the other half of which was being sorted out as Gov. Quinn and Dan Hynes ran neck-and-neck with ballots still to be counted.

Cohen's Oct. 14, 2005, arrest came five months after his wife filed for divorce and convinced a judge to give her a temporary order of protection, records show. A status hearing in the divorce case took place Wednesday, hours after Cohen's election-night triumph. ...
http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/2029016,scott-cohen-arrest-020410.article

Offline thundley4

Re: Details surface of Scott Lee Cohen's 2005 domestic violence arrest
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »
Heh.  The DimRats have a criminal, the GOP has a hero.

Adam Kinzinger (IL-11) for Congress
Former local board member stops knife attack
MILWAUKEE, Wis. - "Surreal" was the only word former McLean County Board member Adam Kinzinger could use to describe the scene that greeted him as he walked to his car after an evening with friends in downtown Milwaukee about midnight Wednesday.
A woman was standing in the middle of the street bleeding from a wide gash across her neck.
The incident ended when Kinzinger, 28, a first lieutenant and pilot in the Air National Guard, wrestled a knife-wielding man to the ground and disarmed him. Kinzinger and another man who stopped to help held the man until police arrived.
A Milwaukee police spokesman said the 22-year-old woman will survive after undergoing emergency surgery. Her 28-year-old boyfriend, who was enraged because he thought she was flirting, is in custody awaiting the filing of a charge of recklessly endangering safety, a serious offense, police said.
"It was the worst and craziest night of my life," said Kinzinger, who resigned from the County Board to join the military in 2003. "It was one of those things you always wonder if you'll ever find yourself in. I hope to God it's the only time. It was very surreal."
Link

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
Quinn says running mate should consider withdrawing

Gov. Pat Quinn today said his new running mate, a Chicago pawnbroker with a 2005 domestic battery arrest, should consider withdrawing from the race because his background could hurt the Democratic ticket in the November general election.

Quinn stopped short of saying Scott Lee Cohen should abandon the nomination he won in Tuesday's primary. But he said Cohen "has an obligation to step aside" if his past becomes a problem.

"I always appeal to others in politics based on what's good for the people," Quinn said.

Quinn was faced with the new crisis even as his rival, Dan Hynes, announced he was conceding the Democratic primary nomination for governor.

Cohen, a pawnbroker who was the surprise winner in the little-publicized contest among half a dozen candidates, had previously disclosed his 2005 arrest. He described it Wednesday as an argument with his drunken girlfriend and said he didn’t lay a hand on her, though she called the police and had him taken into custody.

But the official police and court records show that the woman alleged Cohen put a knife to her throat and pushed her head against the wall.

In their October 14 arrest report detailing the complaint from the 24-year-old woman, Chicago police noted they observed “mild abrasions from knife wound” on her neck. They also noted “minor scars on her hand from her trying to defend herself against the arrestee swinging the knife at her.” The report notes the woman was seen by ambulance personnel but not taken to a hospital.

The case was dropped a month later when the woman did not show up for a court date.

Cohen won in large part because his self-financed campaign ran TV commercials late in the race showing him running job fairs to help the unemployed. He only garnered 212,900 votes but it helped him defeat opponents, including state Rep. Art Turner and state Sen. Terry Link.

A little more than a year after former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s removal, the state’s Democratic powerbrokers focused much of their time, energy and money on the top tier race of governor, leaving the less-known lieutenant governor’s race to go well under the radar.

The lack of a Democratic cohesive strategy leaves the party unclear of its options for the general election.

It also adds yet another punchline on Illinois politics, which has been the focus of national jokes and derision since Blagojevich’s high-profile arrest, impeachment and indictment.

In conceding the race this morning to Quinn, Hynes was asked how he’d feel if he had won and been paired with Cohen.

“The first I learned of any of this was when I read the paper this morning,” Hynes said. “But we’re going to let that sort itself out, and figure out, you know, with more information. I think that some decisions will be made. But I’m not in a position to make those decisions, given the fact that I just learned about it this morning.”

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
They sure can pick 'em.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
They sure can pick 'em.

Hey, a pawnbroker is kind of like a community organizer.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
"I always appeal to others in politics based on what's good for the people PARTY," Quinn said.

Fixed it for him.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »
Acknowledging that he behaved badly while taking anabolic steroids in 2005 when his marriage broke up, Cohen said he understands why his past has caused a firestorm within the party. As of Thursday evening no other politicians had contacted him to ask him to step down, he said.

If they do, he won’t.

â€œAlthough I may have taken steroids and or performance enhancing drugs in the past I have not utilized any of these drugs in the last two weeks … Although from time to time I have screamed and yelled at my children, that is my parenting style and my prerogative."
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2010/02/democrats-struggle-with-lieutenant-governor-problem.html
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »
[youtube=425,350]cKalprIGeFs[/youtube]

Dons asbestos underwear.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »
I could tell the one gal was faking her broken arm because she kept kneading it and wincing.

Nobody kneads a broken arm. Evah.

:-)

Offline thundley4

Re: Details surface of Scott Lee Cohen's 2005 domestic violence arrest He Gawn
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
Cohen drops out of lt. gov. race
February 7, 2010 7:13 PM | No Comments | BREAKING STORY
Scott Lee Cohen, the pawnbroker whose surprise victory in last week's Democratic lieutenant governor primary was followed by scandalous revelations about him, quit the race tonight at the urging of party leaders.

Cohen made the tearful announcement at the Hop Haus tavern on the Far North Side.

"For the good of the people ...I will resign," he said, adding: "The last thing I ever, ever wanted to do was to put the people of Illinois in jeopardy in any way."

When Cohen became a candidate, he disclosed that a 2005 domestic battery charge against him had been dismissed. It was only after his victory Tuesday that the details became known: His girlfriend at the time, a prostitute, had accused him of holding a knife to her throat but had failed to appear in court, leading to charges being dropped.

More revelations followed last week: Cohen admitted injecting anabolic steroids, was accused of failing to pay child support even while he put at least $2 million into his campaign, and was identified as the target of dozens of lawsuits over back taxes.
WGN BreakingNews

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
WGN BreakingNews

Would somebody please, in the name of God, tell me how in the hell these idiots think they are remotely qualified for public service with records like this guy has?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 05:47:33 AM »
Would somebody please, in the name of God, tell me how in the hell these idiots think they are remotely qualified for public service with records like this guy has?

They put a "D" after their name and say they support killing unborn babies, taxing the rich and giving to the unproductive. To a dimrat voter that makes them qualified.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »
Meh, pawnbroker or community organizer, they're really pretty much the same.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 09:15:47 AM »
Meh, pawnbroker or community organizer, they're really pretty much the same.
To be fair, you do get service of some value from a pawnbroker.  :-)