Author Topic: project house  (Read 2787 times)

Offline longview

project house
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
Finished working on a rental for a friend tonight.  It's an old mail order, or catalog, house that was put up 110 years ago.  I didn't think to take before photos until I got into it a few days, but you can get the idea.

The owner has some low end rentals.  This one had been occupied for 5 years by someone with "issues."  I can't say it looked like something out of an episode of "Hoarders."  More like the houses on Hoarders after one day of cleaning.  Cat and dog urine and feces.  Lots of mouse droppings.  Garbage on the walls and tucked away.  We wore masks for much of the early work.

It's fairly livable now.  Thought I'd share some of the before and after shots.  My daughter and I did everything but lay the carpet.  Owner got a package deal on that.

Living room before.  1920s linoleum with urine residue.

Living room after with low pile carpet and repaired walls.

Kitchen before.  But, after I'd mopped the walls and ceiling twice.

Kitchen after.  (I didn't pick the color.  Owner had a 5 gal. bucket of this blue.)

The former harley davidson bedroom.  This puppy had orange walls with high gloss black trim.

The bathroom.  There was a large hole in the wall just above the commode.  There were 6 holes throughout the house.  Covered with duct tape and layers of paint.  Interesting.

It was fun.  We put 57 hours of labor into it.  Gives me something to do in the winter. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: project house
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
Wood panelling... nice.   :lol:

Just tell everyone it's "Petty blue".

I almost wish I had a project house.  I think I'd settle for a garage so I can finish my project car(s).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »
That looks really nice.  Great job!
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
It looks beautiful, you did a great job. I can't believe people can live in such filth.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline longview

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Wood panelling... nice.   :lol:

Yeah.  That's tongue and groove made into a false wall.  I wanted to tear it out and had found a buyer for it.  Owner says next year.  

Maybe I'll show him your response and he'll still let me before he rents it!   :cheersmate:

I couldn't believe the dirt and smell either.  Cleaning the broiler drawer and pan did make me physically ill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
It seemed like every house had wood panelling installed between 1976and 1988... it's like the current stone-countertop fixation.  I remember growing up my parents had it put in.  I forget what was there before.

I'm more of a Victorian gilded-age type... I like lots of big moldings and fancy carving in the main room.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:43:02 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
Looks great, and the blue ain't bad.   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline longview

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »
Thanks everybody.

He has another rental that he's going to need worked on when the three guys move out.  I'll take better before photos.  He doesn't think it's as bad as this one.  (I'm crossing my fingers!)

I have three offices to paint at work, and one bathroom re-do (tub to shower exchange, paint and lino) for a friend to do before I'll start the next house. 

My summer activities are a lot more fun and can't come quick enough.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »
Thanks everybody.

He has another rental that he's going to need worked on when the three guys move out.  I'll take better before photos.  He doesn't think it's as bad as this one.  (I'm crossing my fingers!)

I have three offices to paint at work, and one bathroom re-do (tub to shower exchange, paint and lino) for a friend to do before I'll start the next house. 

My summer activities are a lot more fun and can't come quick enough.

Whattaya do in the summer??

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline longview

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
Besides the inconvenience of my day job (which I truly do like) I'm a polo groom and exercise rider, have my own cows and put in my time on the grazing association where they are, hike and fish the nearby mountains, and travel more.

What do you do? 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
Besides the inconvenience of my day job (which I truly do like) I'm a polo groom and exercise rider, have my own cows and put in my time on the grazing association where they are, hike and fish the nearby mountains, and travel more.

What do you do? 

Oh wow.  I garden.  You have a great life Longview.  :cheersmate:

Offline longview

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
Oh wow.  I garden.  You have a great life Longview.  :cheersmate:

I dunno.  All I can grow is hay.  The cows like it, but it's not very pretty in a vase and it doesn't taste good in a salad or stew!

My attempts at gardening and lawns are laughable (except the neighbors don't laugh!)  I admire, and am grateful to, people with your talent.  Especially when I live across the street from them.  That does not seem fair.  Maybe they would want to do my yard, so their own view is better!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:55:38 AM by longview »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
Yeah.  That's tongue and groove made into a false wall.  I wanted to tear it out and had found a buyer for it.  Owner says next year.  

Maybe I'll show him your response and he'll still let me before he rents it!   :cheersmate:

I couldn't believe the dirt and smell either.  Cleaning the broiler drawer and pan did make me physically ill

I think you did a great job. If I couldn't take down the panelling I would have painted it the same color as the walls.

Offline longview

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
I think you did a great job. If I couldn't take down the panelling I would have painted it the same color as the walls.

I considered doing that.  I thought that might reduce the ability to resell it next year.  It would make good wainscoating for someone.  I probably should have painted it.  Anyone who wants it will have to strip it anyway.