Author Topic: Vegetable Gardens and Birds  (Read 2816 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Vegetable Gardens and Birds
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
So, I am planning out my vegetable garden and will be developing the beds until planting season.  This year I had good results from my herb garden, and I would like to add vegetables to my selection.  I have pecan trees that the squirrels ransack, and I will be getting a nifty air gun to take care of those muthas.   :innocent:

However, I live in a neighborhood of retired people.  And apparently retired people LOVE birds.  Every friggin house surrounding me has at minimum 3 bird feeders, and several bird houses.  I have heard all sorts of ideas about repelling birds, and wanted to know if anyone out there had tried anything that actually worked.  I am thinking of getting one of those plastic owls, and moving it around.  I also read somewhere that I should hang some red plastic Christmas ornaments around, if I am planting tomatoes, to get them trained not to go for them. 

I know I can put bird netting over everything, but that seems like such a PITA. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Advise?

Any and all is appreciated. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Vegetable Gardens and Birds
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
The owls don't work very well unless you move them around daily. I've heard of the Christmas ornament thing. Also, those metallic pinwheels help. The MOST effective things are a.) cats- outdoor types & b.) the netting material.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
You could use chicken wire in place of the netting.  It's probably sturdier and easier to set up and support (wooden stakes and dowels).

If the chicken wire doesn't work, you can always use it for 9/11 re-creations.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
I've also seen people string foil pie pans together, but don't know if it's the noise or the sun reflecting off them that is supposed to scare birds.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
Shoot the birds and the squirrels.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »

I'd opt for this solution too, as I don't like birds.

If your neighbors are elderly, they probably like the squirrels too.

Once the Halloween things go on sale, at Big Lots....go buy a couple of the Halloween scare crows and put them in your garden. They are made to go outside, and wouldn't be too much of an investment if they don't work.

We had a big problem with box turtles too....they will eat out the bottoms of any tomato they can reach.  Who knew?  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »

I thought about that.   :-)  But I am not going to be there every day.  I had heard about moving the owl as well. 

I'll pick up some scare crows, And some red ornaments.  Once I get those, and maybe some pie tins, cd's and pinwheels, my yard should look all blinged out.   :thatsright:

I will probably get some bird netting too. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
I have been told that plastic grocery bags tied on a string between two posts will keep many birds away.
Never have had any real problems with birds here,just woodchucks and a .223 has helped with that dilemma.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
I thought about that.   :-)  But I am not going to be there every day.   
As kids my cousin and I spent a week at my grandparent's house, the pigeons and other birds loved to sit on the power lines that ran down the back property line. We had 2 bb guns, after a week, the birds stayed well away from that section of line for quite a while. There is also, this:http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/scarecrow-sprinkler-motion-activated-animal-repeller/bird-animal-repeller/1187/1187.aspx?source=GoogleBase which, would also be great on the front lawn, say, Halloweenish...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 03:28:22 AM »
You could use chicken wire in place of the netting.  It's probably sturdier and easier to set up and support (wooden stakes and dowels).

If the chicken wire doesn't work, you can always use it for 9/11 re-creations.

It also conducts electricity rather well ....  :whistling:

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »
I feed birds and squirrels and have a big garden. In the fall I eat the squirrels! The birds never bother anything in the garden except the berries which I cover with netting to protect them.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
How about a fruit cage? You can buy them or buiild your own.  You could just have it over the areas where the most tempting fruit is grown.

http://www.makingyourown.co.uk/make-your-own-fruit-cage.html

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »
How about a fruit cage? You can buy them or buiild your own.  You could just have it over the areas where the most tempting fruit is grown.

http://www.makingyourown.co.uk/make-your-own-fruit-cage.html

Or you could make one of these

[youtube=425,350]pLXn--oxvAk&feature[/youtube]

:lmao:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »
Or you could make one of these

[youtube=425,350]pLXn--oxvAk&feature[/youtube]

:lmao:

The neighbors would love that.  :cheersmate:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
I like Bijou's suggestion best!