Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 2838 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Wasps
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
It is that time of year again, and the wasps are trying to start a home on my front patio.  It is completely walled in, with a ceiling, about 5 feet from the edge of the house, so it makes a perfect place for wasps.  I have cleaned the whole patio, and have been quite diligent, but I see a little waspy has decided on a home. 

I will spray the bajayzus out of it this evening, when I get home, well, probably when it gets dark, so they don't get so riled up.  This morning I only saw one, but you know how those things grow.

Does anyone have any idea of any successful ways to deter them from even coming around? 

I am highly allergic, so I don't need em anywhere near me. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/input. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
I have no idea how to keep the litte buggers away. I do the same thing you do, NUKE EM (Home Depot sells a arosol wasp killer).
You do not want to step on a meat bee nest (yellow jackets).......................trust me.  :bawl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »
I do the same as you....just watch for them and try to zap the nest as soon as I see it.... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
I HATE those buggers....  When I bought the house, last year...the previous owners had birdhouses nailed to the patio walls.  Yup.  That's right.  I had nesting birds less than 4 feet from my front door. 

The wasps hid behind them.  I was "hoping" this year, since I got rid of all of those houses (3 too many) that they wouldn't find a happy place.  I even bought a new lamp that is all enclosed, and flush with the ceiling, so they wouldn't get any crazy ideas. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
wasps are bad... but I postively hate, HATE, June Bugs

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »
wasps are bad... but I postively hate, HATE, June Bugs

Wasps can send me to the hospital.  June Bugs make a nice crunchy sound under my shoe.  :-)

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
RAID makes an outdoor Wasp specific fogger. Use it, run away, later, sweep up the remains.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
Wasps?  This time of year?  Not around here, they ain't.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
Something like this might be highly effective.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Something like this might be highly effective.

Dude.  If they weren't ON my house, oh hell yeah. 

I sprayed em but good, but what I was looking for was any advice on deterring them from even setting up shop.  I will slay them if they enter my zone.  I do wasp patrol, get em when there is only one building a nest. 

I hate those effers.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
Spray the nest either very early in the morning or late at night! Knock the nest down and step on it to kill all of the eggs and larvae. Spray the area with a mixture of joy dish soap and water{this will remove the pheromone that they are attracted to thus they will not rebuild the nest with that pheromone not present}  :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Spray the nest either very early in the morning or late at night! Knock the nest down and step on it to kill all of the eggs and larvae. Spray the area with a mixture of joy dish soap and water{this will remove the pheromone that they are attracted to thus they will not rebuild the nest with that pheromone not present}  :cheersmate:

Thanks!  I sprayed it but good last night, it was just a One-Wasper.  I didn't know about the soap, but I will definately be doing that tonight.  Does it have to be Joy?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
What kind of wasps?? We have red wasps up here and it's next to impossible to get rid of them. They build wherever they can find some shelter. I HATE yellow jackets (even though the high school's mascot is the yellow jacket). I got stung by an entire nest of them when I was young. The yellow jackets up in MN seem docile compared to the Texas ones. Up there, I'd just spray the hell out of the nests and they wouldn't rebuild where I sprayed. I never heard of the dish soap "cure".
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
I was watching Billy the Exterminator and he used a natural pesticide called Pyrethrum made out of Chrysanthemums to kill a bunch of wasps that were living IN this woman's house.

Here is what a site said when I looked it up:

How do insects react to Pyrethrum?  Mosquitoes and other insects will adapt a zigzagging pattern and will fly erratically from their hiding places. Within seconds they will be knocked to the ground and paralyzed. Paralysis of the insect is almost always followed by death.

How does Pyrethrum kill insects? Pyrethrum reacts with the central nervous system of the insect. It causes ion channels in the nerve cells to be open for too long. The negatively charged ions flow out causing the nerve cells to permanently loose their electric charge. In a functioning nerve cell, the electric charge is the signal for muscle actions. The loss of this charge means that nerve cells can no longer communicate with the muscles and the mosquito cannot control its actions. The mosquito quickly looses complete control of all life-sustaining functions and dies.

By the way, why does he dress the way he does.  He looks ridiculous.  Did he use a bedazzler on his t-shirt or something?

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »
What kind of wasps?? We have red wasps up here and it's next to impossible to get rid of them. They build wherever they can find some shelter. I HATE yellow jackets (even though the high school's mascot is the yellow jacket). I got stung by an entire nest of them when I was young. The yellow jackets up in MN seem docile compared to the Texas ones. Up there, I'd just spray the hell out of the nests and they wouldn't rebuild where I sprayed. I never heard of the dish soap "cure".

Dude, I couldn't tell you.  Probably Red ones.  I read somewhere that they like enclosed spaces, and if you want to deter them, paint the ceiling light blue, like the sky.  Who knows?  I got stung up by a whole nest of hornets, or maybe it was yellow jackets, and I don't like them either.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
I was watching Billy the Exterminator and he used a natural pesticide called Pyrethrum made out of Chrysanthemums to kill a bunch of wasps that were living IN this woman's house.

Here is what a site said when I looked it up:

By the way, why does he dress the way he does.  He looks ridiculous.  Did he use a bedazzler on his t-shirt or something?

Maybe he inhaled too much bug spray?  I didn't think about pyretherin.  That is what I use to dip my dog.  Guess he won't have any wasps building nests on him.  :whatever:

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »
Thanks!  I sprayed it but good last night, it was just a One-Wasper.  I didn't know about the soap, but I will definately be doing that tonight.  Does it have to be Joy?
I have had better luck with Joy so i would say yes!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!