Author Topic: Crankshaft pulley bolts  (Read 2593 times)

Offline ironhorsedriver

Crankshaft pulley bolts
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
Anybody got a good way to drill the sheared off bolts from the pulley inside the harmonic balancer? The pully broke off under power. I'd like to drill them out with the balancer in place, if possible, however, there grade 8 3/8 bolts. It's on a 88 F-350. 7.3 diesel.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Crankshaft pulley bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:49 AM »
Anybody got a good way to drill the sheared off bolts from the pulley inside the harmonic balancer? The pully broke off under power. I'd like to drill them out with the balancer in place, if possible, however, there grade 8 3/8 bolts. It's on a 88 F-350. 7.3 diesel.

Good luck. Honestly, if it was me, I'd get a new one and find out why the other one broke the bolts.

If you HAVE to do it, you will need to pull the balancer. You need to center punch the bolts, drill and use a good easy-out, the curly que looking ones, not square.
I'd inspect the balancer to see if the rubber ring in it is delaminating.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Many times, one can just use a screwdriver to remove those broken off bolts, as long as they're not rusted into place. Tap the screwdriver into the balancer and try turning the bolt shaft. Another thing that might work is use a left handed drill bit. Finally, the EZ Out method is the last resort.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »
Got 1 out, the others are frozen. I'm going to try breaking loose the bolt on the balancer and removing it today. I just dread pulling the radiator and everything else. I hope a two prong puller will be good enough to pull it off.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
Got 1 out, the others are frozen. I'm going to try breaking loose the bolt on the balancer and removing it today. I just dread pulling the radiator and everything else. I hope a two prong puller will be good enough to pull it off.

Donot pull it from the "outside". That is, using a puller on the outer "ring". You will pull it apart. You must use a 3 bolt puller that screws into the bolt holes on the inner part of the balancer.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pulley_stock_puller.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pulley.htm&usg=__PtuQAQFeSR3NwSy5OZBvMLaxRHw=&h=282&w=366&sz=24&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=hKOGtcKUWPCZcM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dharmonic%2Bbalancer%2Bpuller%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
How's he going to do that?? There are bolts in some of the holes !!! He'd be better off attempting to pry it off from behind. There should be one bolt holding on the balancer. Once removed, a little prying/ penetrating oil should get it freed up. Be careful not to get any oil on the rubber part of the balancer
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
How's he going to do that?? There are bolts in some of the holes !!! He'd be better off attempting to pry it off from behind. There should be one bolt holding on the balancer. Once removed, a little prying/ penetrating oil should get it freed up. Be careful not to get any oil on the rubber part of the balancer

He's going to have to get at it from the front, that is, remove the radiator, and then the bolts, otherwise he'll end up with just the outer part of the balancer. If he does it the way above and it does not come apart I woulden't use it, get a new one.

Usually it's a press-fit, though not a "tight" one. If it's done that way (above), Ironhorse, make sure you don't scar up the crankshaft nose.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »
It just keeps getting better! I couldn't pull the balancer, couldn't get any of my pillers to grap the outer edge. so, I got the radiator out, had to pull the transmission cooler too. I frilled out the bolts with a 5/16th, then started tapping for 3/8 16. Course thread seemed the best bet. Last hole, broke the tap off, flush. Now I got to get one super hard bit. Hopefully I can get a 5/16 cobalt, with about 180 degree tip. I tried with other bits, man that tap is some tough metal.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »
It just keeps getting better! I couldn't pull the balancer, couldn't get any of my pillers to grap the outer edge. so, I got the radiator out, had to pull the transmission cooler too. I frilled out the bolts with a 5/16th, then started tapping for 3/8 16. Course thread seemed the best bet. Last hole, broke the tap off, flush. Now I got to get one super hard bit. Hopefully I can get a 5/16 cobalt, with about 180 degree tip. I tried with other bits, man that tap is some tough metal.

That sucks.

My back is starting to hurt just by reading your post.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 03:55:01 AM »
I recommend a stick of dynamite :lmao:

Sorry 'bout your problems.  I fugged up a spark-plug thread last week and will have to fix it when I get a chance on Thursday.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
I recommend a stick of dynamite :lmao:

Sorry 'bout your problems.  I fugged up a spark-plug thread last week and will have to fix it when I get a chance on Thursday.

If a  tap can't fix it, don't forget about heli-coil inserts...  ;)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »

The tap is harder than the drill. I've had to use a small dia punch to break the tap (the metal is brittle) pull the pieces out and then continue to try and thread. It's gonna be a mess.   :banghead:

Oh, remember with taps, one turn forward, 1/2 turn back.....repeat. It breaks off the cut metal in the threaded hole. Thats why taps have grooves in them. So the "chips" can fall out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:43:26 PM by Wineslob »

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Well, Finally back together and running. Next time something like this happens, I'll come off the labor cost at a Mechanic. I don't know what they would charge, but they will earn every dime. Man what a nightmare.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Gratz on getting it fixed!   :cheersmate: