Author Topic: vacuum cleaner  (Read 5953 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
vacuum cleaner
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
On Christmas Day, the upright red Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner I had had for five years died.  It made some sort of "noise," and died.  I took it apart, and did an anatomical inspection, finding nothing amiss.

However, since it had cost me only $4.95 used five years ago, I figured, okay, just chuck it and find another used one.  So I chucked it.

And then that irksome phenomenon occurred.  Whenever one isn't looking for something, the thrift stores are congested with that thing.  But then when one needs it, the thrift stores don't have any.

Being a paripatetic person, it's not a good idea to put a whole lot of bucks into an appliance, because only God knows where I might be five or six months later, and the different circumstances might not be conducive for that appliance.  So always best to stick with something used, and cheap, so that if the living conditions change and I don't need the appliance any more, it's not like I dumped a lot of investment into it.

Finally I did find one vacuum cleaner, for $1.99; a hand-held one, but w-a-a-a-a-y larger than contemporary hand-held ones, about two-thirds the size of a contemporary upright vacuum.  It worked, and works, great, but with the vast acreage of carpeting in here, I wasn't too enthusiastic about vacuuming on my hands and knees.

In between times, I decided it would be a good idea to get some bags and filters for this.  Problem.  No bags and filters to be found, as obviously this was something on the market only during the early 1960s.

Someone finally directed me to a vacuum repair place in the big city, and I was surprised.  The place had all sorts of supplies and parts for vacuum cleaners going clear back to the original Hoovers, which was long before Herbert Hoover (president 1929-1933); bad joke.

Although "Kirby" was no where to be found on the instrument, the guy immediately identified it as a Kirby, made in Illinois, 1964 model, and opined that it was perhaps one of the best miniature vacuums ever made.

So that was taken care of, but really, I needed to get something more man-sized, where one doesn't have to get down on his hands and knees to clean the carpeting.

For a few more weeks, I haunted the thrift stores, but no vacuums.

So I went back to this paradise of antiquities, and inquired if he had something, used, for sale.  Being a tightwad, I didn't want to spend more than forty bucks.

He did; a standard-sized grey Dirt Devil upright, about six years old, bagless, for thirty-two bucks.  He kept it for a week to "re-condition" it and to apply a 6-month warranty, and I picked it up today.

I tried it out first thing when I got back home.  It picks up everything but the carpeting.  I was sorely surprised at how much it picks up.  If it's not carpeting, it picks it up.

However, this is a "bagless" model; I never heard of such a thing.

It's odd, having a bagless vacuum cleaner.

Anybody have any experiences with bagless vacuum cleaners?  Good or bad?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: vacuum cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »
Bagless vacuumes are pretty good, till you need to dump them. With a bag style all the dust is contained, but when you need to empty out the bagless......well.. it's a bit dusty.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
I have one at home and it works just fine.  Emptying the container is easier than replacing bags.

If you want a deal next time, try your local vacuum repair shop -- they always have repaired ones that people abandoned for sale pretty cheap.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
If you want a deal next time, try your local vacuum repair shop -- they always have repaired ones that people abandoned for sale pretty cheap.

Actually, that's where I got this one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
Bagless vacuumes are pretty good, till you need to dump them. With a bag style all the dust is contained, but when you need to empty out the bagless......well.. it's a bit dusty.

Yeah, I already emptied it twice, because I was curious about how much dirt it was handling.

It's no big deal, because of my living where I do--it was an easy matter of just stepping outside onto the back porch and shaking it out.

There are advantages to living out in the country.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
I have a bagless, and it works fine, until the kids use it and don't empty it...then it clogs up pretty good.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
I have a bagless, and it works fine, until the kids use it and don't empty it...then it clogs up pretty good.

I make my kids do just about every other chore around here but vacuum for that exact reason.  Well, they vaccuum my bedroom and the main floor because I know they won't suck up something that will destroy the vacuum.  Otherwise I do their rooms and I make them walk around with me and pick up the big pieces of trash.  Somehow, there is always big pieces of trash even after the swearing of cleanliness in the room.   :whatever:
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
Actually, that's where I got this one.

Great minds and all ..... :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
I also have a bagless vacuum cleaner.

My only complaint is that the filter in it gets clogged faster than what I consider acceptable. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
On Christmas Day, the upright red Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner I had had for five years died.  It made some sort of "noise," and died.  ...
Well, that sucks.

...or maybe it doesn't.   :-)

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
I also have a bagless vacuum cleaner.

My only complaint is that the filter in it gets clogged faster than what I consider acceptable. 

Yup, what you save on bags, you spend on filters!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
I make my kids do just about every other chore around here but vacuum for that exact reason.  Well, they vaccuum my bedroom and the main floor because I know they won't suck up something that will destroy the vacuum.  Otherwise I do their rooms and I make them walk around with me and pick up the big pieces of trash.  Somehow, there is always big pieces of trash even after the swearing of cleanliness in the room.   :whatever:

Pennies always fun to try and suck up.   :banghead:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
On bagless models, I strongly recommend you empty the thing....

OUTDOORS.

Dust mask is optional.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
On bagless models, I strongly recommend you empty the thing....

OUTDOORS.

Dust mask is optional.

I do that, sir; because I can, living way out here in the country and all that.

But now I'm confused about something.

The guy said the filter should last as long as the vacuum cleaner.

I dunno much about filters, but it looks to be a pretty strong and permanent filter to me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
I do that, sir; because I can, living way out here in the country and all that.

But now I'm confused about something.

The guy said the filter should last as long as the vacuum cleaner.

I dunno much about filters, but it looks to be a pretty strong and permanent filter to me.

Just guessing here, but it seems to me that this "filter" is really just a device to keep the real heavy stuff from being sucked up and destroying the impeller - the thingie that whirls around, driven by the motor, creating the sucking quality.

While I realize you're talking about a Dirt Devil, I've had two Kirby vacuum cleaners over the years - you just can't kill 'em. They are expensive, but they last a long time.

Both of those were bagless. And I had plenty of occasion to empty them - always outdoors.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Just guessing here, but it seems to me that this "filter" is really just a device to keep the real heavy stuff from being sucked up and destroying the impeller - the thingie that whirls around, driven by the motor, creating the sucking quality.

While I realize you're talking about a Dirt Devil, I've had two Kirby vacuum cleaners over the years - you just can't kill 'em. They are expensive, but they last a long time.

Both of those were bagless. And I had plenty of occasion to empty them - always outdoors.

Your leetness is teh strong.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »
I have a bagless and I like it.  It's a canister style, which makes it a lot easier to clean the hardwood floors.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »

Your leetness is teh strong.

translation, please!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »
I have a bagless vacuum with a filter. I always blow out the filter with my air compressor when I empty the container. It saves on buying filters.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
I have a bagless vacuum with a filter. I always blow out the filter with my air compressor when I empty the container. It saves on buying filters.

Well now, that's an idea; I've just been tapping it out.

Gently, of course, although the thing appears to be made of steel and plastic, and not that coffee-filter paper.

It's all new to me, this bagless phenomenon; that's why I'm making a big deal out of it.  Before then, a vacuum cleaner was a vacuum cleaner was a vacuum cleaner, and they all had bags.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
translation, please!

My wife is blonde, you two have the same er.............understanding of how to describe "thingees".    :tongue:

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »
Wow! you think so? Every bagless vaccum i've ever had,had about half the suction of it's bagged counterpart!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Wow! you think so? Every bagless vaccum i've ever had,had about half the suction of it's bagged counterpart!

Ditto! After 3 failed attempts in about as many years at bagless of varying costs we finally invested the money in a bagged vacuum and they are few and far between and are in the mid to upper 200 dollar range to start. We ended up with a Hoover I believe and it's a terrific vacuum. I will NEVER go back to a bagless...ever! I even think the only reason bagless had any success is the transition for many people to hard floors versus carpet and you just don't need as good of suction to clean up a hard floor since it normally gets mopped or swiffered too. If I have to end up buying a commercial bag vacuum, I'll put the money aside for it!  :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
Ditto! After 3 failed attempts in about as many years at bagless of varying costs we finally invested the money in a bagged vacuum and they are few and far between and are in the mid to upper 200 dollar range to start. We ended up with a Hoover I believe and it's a terrific vacuum. I will NEVER go back to a bagless...ever! I even think the only reason bagless had any success is the transition for many people to hard floors versus carpet and you just don't need as good of suction to clean up a hard floor since it normally gets mopped or swiffered too. If I have to end up buying a commercial bag vacuum, I'll put the money aside for it!  :-)

I have all hard wood/vinyl flooring in my house (a few rugs, but no carpet) and the bagless is good for me. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »
I have all hard wood/vinyl flooring in my house (a few rugs, but no carpet) and the bagless is good for me.

You know, that's really odd.

All my life, I thought vacuuming a wooden or tiled floor was a "man" thing, and I do it all the time, but never in the sight of women.

It's nice to know I was wrong.
apres moi, le deluge