Author Topic: Single Payer is good for union workers. Obviously.  (Read 495 times)

Offline CC27

Single Payer is good for union workers. Obviously.
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:56:27 AM »
DanTex (19,059 posts)

Single Payer is good for union workers. Obviously.

Yet another paper-thin attack against M4A. And I get why union leaders do things like this. They have to play politics too, need to stay right with certain politicians, I don't begrudge them doing that.

But it's also good to keep the facts straight. Single payer would greatly benefit union workers. Yes, it's true that unions have made concessions in pay in order to get good healthcare. This is not an argument against M4A, but in favor of it. With M4A, everyone, including union workers, will have good healthcare, so they won't have to give up pay concessions in order to get that. And since corporations won't have to pay for workers' healthcare, it will in fact be easier to negotiate higher pay. It's extremely shortsighted and dishonest to pretend that the current agreements unions have negotiated are eternal.

And that's not all. When employers control workers' healthcare, it gives them more power over workers' lives. And this isn't theoretical. During the recent UAW strike, GM cut off the healthcare of striking workers. With single payer, this couldn't happen, taking away this leverage that corporations can use against striking workers.

So, fine, the leadership of the culinary union in Nevada for political reasons needs to circulate fliers attacking M4A. Just lets also not forget the facts.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287506574

I doubt unions will enjoy losing their gold plated healthcare.

Offline 67 Rover

Re: Single Payer is good for union workers. Obviously.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
And since corporations won't have to pay for workers' healthcare,

And they wonder why we call them DUmmies. Stupid like that should hurt because they don't even know that they are stupid.  :banghead:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »
God these people are stupid.

Look what happened with ObamaCare. Employers dropped their coverage forcing workers onto the crappy exchanges.

Did they pay their workers more? Hell no.

The same thing will happen with Medicare for all. The union workers will be forced to take that crappy care and won't see any increase in their paychecks.

Unions in Nevada are already coming out against the candidates backing single payer and other unions will, too.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »
Oh and all the while they were telling us just how GREAT Obamacare was going to be, the unions and large corporations were opted out for 5 years!  The unions didn't want that pile of shit either, so Obama gave them an out.  You don't think the same thing would happen with Medicare for All??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:45 PM »
With single payer / medicare for all you wind up with a system like in England. Shitty care doled out with long waits and excelent care outside the system for those willing and able to pay for it.

The dems are selling a shit sandwich on stale bread. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!