Author Topic: Talking to Trumpers: The Reagan guy (MAGA encounter)  (Read 1981 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Talking to Trumpers: The Reagan guy (MAGA encounter)
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:34 PM »
talkingwithtrumpers (21 posts) https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10221332

The other day I was walking down the street and saw someone with a "Reagan / Bush 1984" T-shirt on. Guy looked like he was about 30, black glasses, short, neat hair.

I said
"Excuse me"

"Excuse me, sir"

He stopped and looked at me.

Me: "Was it the 1984 campaign that Reagan kicked off by dogwhistling to racists at Neshoba County? Or was that 1980? ...

Oh, it was 1980!!!"

Him: Wheeled around and started walking away.

Me: "...Your party created this president by stoking racism for votes."

--------------

I'm not sure anyone was converted here, but that isn't the point. A ton of Republicans like to wear such Reagan shirts and think the man was a good guy. It's important to reinforce to Republicans that their party's actions -- stoking racism, dogwhistling to racists, white identity politics -- helped create this president.

lunatics screaming at people on the street corners...

-----------

- This is one part of a series describing my often (but not always) successful efforts to discuss politics with Trumpers. Hope my experiences help others! Watch for more.

:loser:

Star Member elleng (86,663 posts)

1. It may be important to discuss, but NOT to provoke negative reactions,

DISCUSS, evoke positive interchange, and understanding of history; doing otherwise will only result in negative hardening against the right way to do things, and Democrats.

summary: if you act like a raving lunatic people will treat you like a raving lunatic.

Fri Nov 2, 2018, 07:35 PM
talkingwithtrumpers (21 posts)

2. Depends. But I am a psychologist and I know authoritarian/Repub personalities

You have to realize that a lot of the people who are saying "DISCUSS and be positive" are Democrats and liberals.
And liberals and Democrats have different personality traits than Republicans.

Republicans have more authoritarian personality traits. Many of them actually want someone to tell them what to do.
They like anger and confrontation.

That's why Kavanaugh's screaming worked. Republicans often like anger.
That's why Tucker Carlson snarls. It's why Limbaugh snarls.
Many of their viewers think liberals are too soft.

That's why Joe Biden's act works well in working class GOP areas. He sounds forceful.

----------------------

So being forceful can work. This is forceful. I'm a psychologist and I understand persuasion. We need more forcefulness to persuade working class people.

Some can use positivity; that works for some Republicans. But we don't have enough confrontation and sometimes need to show anger. That's what this is about.

:thatsright:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Talking to Trumpers: The Reagan guy (MAGA encounter)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:32:02 AM »
So he's a psychologist. Judging by that post he is not a very good one.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:57:06 AM »
Nadin but with someone proof reading her posts.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
Well, I was surprised to learn there actually is a Neshoba County, given the way DUpipo lie and believe liars. Anyway, here is a transcript of Reagan's August 3, 1980 speech at the Neshoba County, Mississippi  county fair. And about 3/4 of the way through the speech, here are the brief couple of paragraphs that DU-liar talkingwithtrumpers calls a racist dog-whistle.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

I must not be a racist "dog", because I don't hear any whistle in those brief paragraphs. Now, since DU-liar talkingwithtrumpers and his/her source(s) do hear the dog-whistle ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:55 AM »
Really bad mole.
They can't tell, because he tells them what they want to hear.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Really bad mole.
They can't tell, because he tells them what they want to hear.

come on, give him a break.  Most moles don't hit their stride until at least 150 posts...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
Nadin but with someone proof reading her posts.
Shrinks are the biggest nutcases out there.

They should not be allowed to own anything more dangerous than a cheese spreader.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
Fri Nov 2, 2018, 07:35 PM

2. Depends. But I am a
psychopath and waiting for some Trumper to kick my ass. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
DUmbass in the OP is just another low post count DUmbass lying their ass off. It's just another attempt to gain street cred with the rest of the brain dead, oxygen thieving wastes of skin that populate the DUmp. And, true to their nature, the DUmmies gobble up that BS like candy and go back for more.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
Dear low post count DUmmy,

You're trying too hard.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »
Joe Biden sounds forceful?!?

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
Joe Biden sounds forceful?!?

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf:

When he’s creeping on some underage girl, he’s forceful.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »
The other day I was walking down the street and saw someone with a "Reagan / Bush 1984" T-shirt on.

You re full of shit.

:bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
The other day I was walking down the street and saw someone with a "Reagan / Bush 1984" T-shirt on.

You re full of shit.

:bird:

Yeah, it's about 35 years worth of improbable.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
talkingwithtrumpers (21 posts) https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10221332

The other day I was walking down the street and saw someone with a "Reagan / Bush 1984" T-shirt on. Guy looked like he was about 30, black glasses, short, neat hair.

I said
"Excuse me"

"Excuse me, sir"

He stopped and looked at me.

Me: "Was it the 1984 campaign that Reagan kicked off by dogwhistling to racists at Neshoba County? Or was that 1980? ...

Oh, it was 1980!!!"

Him: Wheeled around and started walking away.

Me: "...Your party created this president by stoking racism for votes."

--------------

I'm not sure anyone was converted here, but that isn't the point. A ton of Republicans like to wear such Reagan shirts and think the man was a good guy. It's important to reinforce to Republicans that their party's actions -- stoking racism, dogwhistling to racists, white identity politics -- helped create this president.

Now I am absolutely sure none of the above happened... but just for shits and giggles let us say it did.  Let's say that he is going out accosting fine and decent folk on the street.  Sooner or later someone is gonna ram their fist down his throat.. or worse fill his ass full of hot lead.  So you go ahead and keep on keeping on dummie.   :cheersmate:

We here at CC will laugh our asses off when they plant your ass in the ground.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi