Author Topic: Staten Islanders On Sandy Response  (Read 513 times)

Offline MrsSmith

Staten Islanders On Sandy Response
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Staten Islanders On Sandy Response: We’ve Been Left FAR Behind
Borough Is In Shambles, But Little Help Has Arrived; They Ask: Where Is FEMA?

“Red Cross is here with hot chocolate and cookies. We need blankets, we need pillows, we need clothing. We can get hot chocolate and cookies, we need help!” resident Jodi Hannula said.

Yes, DUmp Lurkers...Romney's "idiotic" drive was for exactly what people need.   :tongue:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Dori

Re: Staten Islanders On Sandy Response
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Yes, DUmp Lurkers...Romney's "idiotic" drive was for exactly what people need.   :tongue:

I recently heard a woman say what they needed most after Katrina was canned goods, brooms, shovels and jackets. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
Didn't obama have a news conference stating that FEMA was in position and set to go with all the needed supplies to take care of all of this...wasn't that part of his spiel before he took off for Las Vegas? Wasn't that when he was ACTING all presidential? If so then where is FEMA and all the supplies?
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Undies

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »

DUmbass liberals hate the individual and could not care less about the well-being of any singular one person.  Blankets and clothing, nah.  That's personal stuff.

"           "     focus only on The Group and how that focus will further liberalism.  A big-o cauldron of communal hot chocolate and rack and racks of identical donuts -- now that's how they fly!

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
Didn't obama have a news conference stating that FEMA was in position and set to go with all the needed supplies to take care of all of this...wasn't that part of his spiel before he took off for Las Vegas? Wasn't that when he was ACTING all presidential? If so then where is FEMA and all the supplies?

They're sitting in a long gas line.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
Shoot, the great leader forgot about needing GAS for the trucks...who is he gonna blame for that one?
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Shoot, the great leader forgot about needing GAS for the trucks...who is he gonna blame for that one?

Probably the same guy that made him tell people in Sandy's path to check the internet for storm information
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:14:45 PM by Dori »

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but there haven't been many stories or scenes about neighbors helping each other.

And, it seems as NONE of these people prepared.

Sorry, I know it's a tragedy, but being down here in hurricane country, I really can't sympathize with them.

We prepare. We have enough gas, food, propane, and water to make sure we can make it through.

They should have made sure they prepped.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but there haven't been many stories or scenes about neighbors helping each other.

Sorry, I know it's a tragedy, but being down here in hurricane country, I really can't sympathize with them.

We prepare. We have enough gas, food, propane, and water to make sure we can make it through.

I don't know...if my house was destroyed by wind and water, I probably wouldn't still have the blankets, food, gas, kerosene, wood and water we currently have on hand...

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
I don't know...if my house was destroyed by wind and water, I probably wouldn't still have the blankets, food, gas, kerosene, wood and water we currently have on hand...

I can see your point. But, there's always evacuation.

Another part of it is finding a place to store all of that stuff when the storm hits.

I guess my limited experience with getting everything wiped out (we tend to build houses that can withstand hurricanes) has jaded me a bit.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

What is not being mentioned except by a few  - like Fox - on Saturday last week, Bloomberg told people not to worry. Nor did they need to evacuate. On Sunday, he said to worry and evac.

In an area with a multi-million population!?! From islands where the only way off was on bridges here and there. It wasn't just being able to travel inland with multiple routes. You also have to remember, that a lot of people get around by subway, train, and buses up there, rather than being a 2 or 3 car family like many are in other parts of the country.

The mayor of Atlantic City told residents not to evacuate. That's why he and Christie are in a feud.

Brian Kilmeade said on F&F this morning, he lives on Long Island, not near the water, in an area where people have not even had water in their basements in 40 YEARS. They had a foot and a half of water throughout their entire first floor. Not catastrophic I agree, but he was showing pictures and like he said, it still means that everything that got wet has to go out and all floors, drywall, etc be ripped out as quickly as possible. He said they still do not have power. Nor gas or water. They also have not seen FEMA or insurance adjustors... 5 days later. He did say, that they have flood insurance.

I think we need to remember....regardless of where you live, there are going to be natural disasters. Some more catastrophic than others.

California has earthquakes and fires that can cause a loss of everything. Midwest has tornadoes, South and SE have hurricanes, NE has nor'easterners.

But things are changing. Other parts of the country have earthquakes, Colorado burned up last year, tornadoes are becoming more prevalent in the South. Now, the NE is getting hurricanes.

As new types of disasters strike "new" parts of the country, the people learn how to adapt. Hurricane prone areas are now building better houses to withstand the hurricanes with stronger windows, hurricane shutters, and steel framing. Fire prone areas are using fire retardant housing materials. Where I live, more and more new houses are being built with basements so there is a place to go when a tornado is coming instead of just an inside hallway or a bathtub - (how often are we hearing how people are sucked out of their house now because they had no where to shelter?)

While I would not wish a catastrophic disaster on anyone....

There were people in NY and NJ who were so publicly negative and critical of the people involved in Katrina or Hugo or the many hurricanes that have hit FL over the years - "don't those idiots know any better than to live at sea level where hurricanes hit?" "those dumbasses are building houses on the beach, for God's sake, what do they expect?" "why should my tax dollars go help a bunch of idiots who don't know where to live or where to stupid to prepare, leave, etc?"

Well guess what? Now the people of NY and NJ have gotten bit in the ass by Mother Nature with a hurricane that will make history. Just as the people in typical hurricane areas have for years and have gone through Hugo, Andrew or Katrina.

And what are people saying who live in other parts of the country? "the dumbasses should have been prepared", "the idiots should have evacuated" " they shoulda done..."

No one controls Mother Nature. And we would all do well to remember it.

'Cause eventually what goes around comes around, and Karma can be a real mean bitch.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
I can see your point. But, there's always evacuation.

Another part of it is finding a place to store all of that stuff when the storm hits.

I guess my limited experience with getting everything wiped out (we tend to build houses that can withstand hurricanes) has jaded me a bit.
I see your point, also.  After all, it wasn't like a tornado, where you're lucky to have 10 minutes warning.  With days of warning, we'd have done better than most of them.  But then, no one in my family has ever been "big city" folks...the largest town I've lived in was about 25,000 and that was WAY too big.   :-)