Author Topic: What NY-23 Says About The GOP And Its Voters  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
What NY-23 Says About The GOP And Its Voters
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:20 AM »
What NY-23 Says About The GOP And Its Voters

(in medias res)

This past weekend, the official Republican candidate Dede Scozzafava dropped out of the race in the face of falling poll numbers and lackluster fund-raising. Then she endorsed the Democrat.

As a result, the New York 23rd Congressional District race will end up being between a Conservative Party candidate and a Democrat. In many ways, that pairing reflects the reality of national match-ups more than the typical partisan competition. There are more conservatives than Democrats in America, and there are more Democrats than Republicans.

One reason for this is that while Republican voters overwhelmingly consider themselves conservative, only 56% of conservative voters consider themselves to be Republicans. In other words, nearly half of all conservatives nationwide reject the Republican Party label.

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: What NY-23 Says About The GOP And Its Voters
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »
I have to say after seeing some film of the Conservative Party candidate, he was one of the most uncharismatic, dullest people I have ever seen.  Scozzowhatever's endorsement of the Democrat was probably sufficient to put the Dem over the edge.  Still, I believe the take-away from it is not that the candidate couldn't click sufficiently with the electorate, or Scozzo's a dick in fat pink female form, but that we can't win if we totally dis the moderates, their point of view has to be taken into account instead of going totally doctrinaire.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
I have to say after seeing some film of the Conservative Party candidate, he was one of the most uncharismatic, dullest people I have ever seen.  Scozzowhatever's endorsement of the Democrat was probably sufficient to put the Dem over the edge.  Still, I believe the take-away from it is not that the candidate couldn't click sufficiently with the electorate, or Scozzo's a dick in fat pink female form, but that we can't win if we totally dis the moderates, their point of view has to be taken into account instead of going totally doctrinaire.   

I'm not from that district, so maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see Deedee as a moderate. She was pretty much to the left of the Democrat in the race.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »

I don't see Deedee as a moderate. She was pretty much to the left of the Democrat in the race.

I didn't see anything that would have qualified Scozzafava as a republican. She was pretty much pro-abortion, pro card check, and against just about everything on the GOP platform.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »

Who gives a shit about her, I'm talking about the voters.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
Who gives a shit about her, I'm talking about the voters.

Sorry. Read it wrong. I thought you meant dissing the "moderate" Republican candidates.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm more curious as to why New York and New Jersey had their poll results reversed. On Monday, Hoffman looked like he was going to win by around 5 points and Christie and Corzine was at a dead heat.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
I'm more curious as to why New York and New Jersey had their poll results reversed. On Monday, Hoffman looked like he was going to win by around 5 points and Christie and Corzine was at a dead heat.

ACORN thought New Jersey was in the bag, so they all moved to New York?  :confused:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
I think what NY-23 says about the voters is that the RINO's and the Dems had better wake the hell up.

Hoffman came out of nowhere...got Pawlenty and Palin's endorsement...forced the hand picked RINO do drop out and make Robo calls for the Dem...and only lost by 3%...all in the span of about 30 days.

Now imagine what Hoffman would have done had he been the GOP's pick form the start.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
Rush was saying just a few minutes ago that Scozzawhatever was on the ballot twice.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »
Rush was saying just a few minutes ago that Scozzawhatever was on the ballot twice.

As was Owens; they were both nominated by multiple parties.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »
As was Owens; they were both nominated by multiple parties.

Not mulitple parties.  One party; multiple personalities.  :mental:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
Two liberals and a conservative were on the ballot and one of the liberals won. 

Says more about NY-23 than anything else, but that's just my two cents.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »
From what I heard, Owens was a registered independent until a year ago, who has come out against the "public option" on the health care "reform" bill.  IOW, he's a Blue Dog.

As Tx said, if Hoffman had been the pick from the start, he probably would have won going away. 

What the election says is this:  For Republicans to win again, they have to tack back to the Right--and stay there.  That's where the base of the party is.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.