Author Topic: Top Gun-Maverick  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Muddling 2

Top Gun-Maverick
« on: June 04, 2022, 04:50:27 PM »
I can recommend.

The ending is a stretch, putting it mildly, but it's overall an enjoyable 2 hours.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Top Gun-Maverick
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »
Please explain the premise.

Tom Cruise is an aged Navy fighter pilot, presumably the same character from the 1986 movie "Top Gun," who is now in a position to kick more ass and take more names? His sidekicks (Goose) are either dead or nearly so?

What about the chick? And the motorcycle? Are they the same, albeit a bit more leaky and a bit more wrinkly?

:rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
...What about the chick? And the motorcycle? Are they the same, albeit a bit more leaky and a bit more wrinkly?

So basically, Terminator Genesys except with a geriatric Tom Cruise instead of a geriatric Arnold Schwartzenegger?
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 12:48:20 AM »
I would be interested in Vil's part. He was not looking good.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 02:35:35 AM »

Tom Cruise is an aged Navy fighter pilot, presumably the same character from the 1986 movie "Top Gun," who is now in a position to kick more ass and take more names? His sidekicks (Goose) are either dead or nearly so?

What about the chick? And the motorcycle? Are they the same, albeit a bit more leaky and a bit more wrinkly?

The premise. Maverick, still a captain, is a test pilot for a mach 10 aircraft program. Navy brass call him back to Top Gun to help train a group of pilots, one of which is Goose's son, for a nigh impossible mission to bomb a uranium processing facility in an unnamed country before it can go operational.

Yeah Val Kilmer, now Admiral Kazansky and Maverick's guardian angel, is not looking very good right now. Old age and throat cancer that took away his ability to talk has definitely taken its toll on him.

One thing that they did I loved was taking the opening scene on the carrier deck and kept it the same (same graphics and music) except for updating it, replacing the F-14s and A-7s with F/A-18s and F-35s.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 02:40:16 AM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 04:55:13 AM »
The premise. Maverick, still a captain, is a test pilot for a mach 10 aircraft program. Navy brass call him back to Top Gun to help train a group of pilots, one of which is Goose's son, for a nigh impossible mission to bomb a uranium processing facility in an unnamed country before it can go operational.

Yeah Val Kilmer, now Admiral Kazansky and Maverick's guardian angel, is not looking very good right now. Old age and throat cancer that took away his ability to talk has definitely taken its toll on him.

One thing that they did I loved was taking the opening scene on the carrier deck and kept it the same (same graphics and music) except for updating it, replacing the F-14s and A-7s with F/A-18s and F-35s.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about Val - I didn't know that about his cancer. Thought he did an incredible job in "Tombstone" as Doc Holliday.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 07:16:19 AM »

The "chick" is Penny Benjamin (referenced in the first movie) who runs a bar near Mirimar.  He still has the motorcycle. 

Overall, it was enjoyable even if the last 15 min of action were not realistic.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »
The "chick" is Penny Benjamin (referenced in the first movie) who runs a bar near Mirimar.  He still has the motorcycle. 

Overall, it was enjoyable even if the last 15 min of action were not realistic.

I believe the motorcycle and P-51 Mustang in the film belong to Tom Cruise.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »

Thread jack

I thought regular people couldn't own weapons of war? /quasi sarcasm

Ok, back to regularly scheduled programming  :-)

Wife wants to get to this in IMAX ASAP.  We are on last week of school, so hopefully soon.....
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 11:09:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iZtBM23bY
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iZtBM23bY

Man, say what you will about Tom Cruise but who wouldn't want to spend the day like that?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 07:11:27 PM »
I had no idea Cruise was a pilot -- seems he knows what he's doing.  :o

Harrison Ford is a pilot as well, but I think he's crashed once or twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 07:46:09 PM »
By all accounts, I'm sure it is a good re-boot and am glad it has done so well and y'all are enjoying it. For whatever reason personally, Top Gun is not some sort of seminal bit of perfection from the 1980's, when I was a teenager and of course saw it.  Happy with seeing this 1980's renaissance as it brings back memories, well most of it anyway. Sort of makes me feel comparable to my parents that grew up in the 50's and 60's seeing the all that era being glamorized in the 80's.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 07:48:44 PM »
Thanks. Sorry to hear about Val - I didn't know that about his cancer. Thought he did an incredible job in "Tombstone" as Doc Holliday.

I'm not up on celebrity pop culture as I once was but sad to hear about Kilmer. One of his more amusing comedies was "Real Genius" in the mid-80's.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 02:03:47 AM »
I'm not up on celebrity pop culture as I once was but sad to hear about Kilmer. One of his more amusing comedies was "Real Genius" in the mid-80's.

He was also pretty good in Top Secret. He did all of his own singing in that one.

https://youtu.be/PKRfFEa9PGE

https://youtu.be/Xeyjb21auxc