Author Topic: Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote  (Read 967 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:25:50 AM »
https://democraticunderground.com/100214119544

RandySF (33,938 posts)

Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote

Billionaire Michael Bloomberg has reportedly raised more than $16 million in an effort to help convicted felons in Florida register to vote.

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition estimated Bloomberg's fundraising push has already paid off monetary obligations for 32,000 felons, Axios reported.

"The right to vote is fundamental to our democracy and no American should be denied that right," a Bloomberg spokesperson told the news outlet. "Working together with the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, we are determined to end disenfranchisement and the discrimination that has always driven it."

Florida passed a law in 2018 reinstating voting rights for felons that dictated they could register only if they pay all fines, fees and restitution — sometimes totaling more than $1,000 — owed to the government.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which covers Florida, last week ruled to uphold the law.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/517522-bloomberg-pays-fines-for-32000-felons-in-florida-so-they-can-vote

Heard quite a bit about this on the news last night, then I listened to some of the news/opinions shows and got a little fuller picture of what Bloomy is doing.  He's buying votes.  There can be no other way to interpret it and I hope they drop the hammer on him.  The people they are paying off their debts to society have to be registered to vote and they must be black or hispanic. 

Another thing that will come up is the tax implications for the people who've had their debt forgiven, but honestly ... these people don't pay taxes in the first place so I don't see that being an issue. 

Let's see what the DUmmies think of this grand idea!

roamer65 (21,986 posts)

1. That could give it to Biden.

Why do they never recognize they are always pulling for felons to vote, without recognizing ... they automatically assume most felons will vote democrat ... Hmmmmm.  I honestly think they're correct, given the choice in my job if I could vote in a boss who let me do whatever the **** I wanted to do with no recriminations, I'd have run of the place.

Le Roi de Pot (182 posts)

3. I know lots of people hate him here .. but I could myself getting behind him had

He won the Democratic Primary.

I am aware of his baggage ...

Skittles (131,023 posts)

19. he is inconsistent but ultimately, the man cares

yes indeed

Hoyt (45,282 posts)

5. Appreciate his help and commitment.

But of course the armed robber is appreciative. 

brewens (8,291 posts)

6. I heard an audible OOF! all the way out here in Idaho on that one! Oh boy is that gonna piss

Trump and his followers off!

crickets (12,888 posts)

7. Brilliant.

And the right thing to do, on so many levels.

:sings: donnie's gonna be ma-aad. Ha!

Finally someone tells the rest of the story, kinda.

LisaL (36,343 posts)

12. They are already registered.

"Bloomberg’s initiative—which was also financed by $5 million from the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition—will assist Black and Latino voters who were already registered to vote and have debts of less than $1,500."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/09/22/bloomberg-raises-millions-so-floridians-convicted-of-felonies-can-pay-off-fines-and-vote/

Could white felons sue because they were discriminated against? 

radius777 (2,113 posts)

22. Bloomberg has his flaws but he cares about the world

and is willing to put his money on the table and get it done. We need powerful people like this on our side who can effect major change on the issues confronting our time.

Uhm, I'll bet there are some poor, white, felons in FL who would disagree with your statement about caring about the world.  Sounds like he only cares about VOTES. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:00 AM »
For any DUmmies who may be reading this you need to consider something.

If your people are buying votes, it's because they are truly, deeply concerned.  What is their internal polling showing them?  How many people are you seeing at Biden appearances?  Why won't he take questions?

The debates are going to be a HOOT!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
For any DUmmies who may be reading this you need to consider something.

If your people are buying votes, it's because they are truly, deeply concerned.  What is their internal polling showing them?  How many people are you seeing at Biden appearances?  Why won't he take questions?

The debates are going to be a HOOT!

KC

In normalworld, this is logical. In DUmmieworld, they say that the R's cheat so they need every vote they can get to overcome the cheating.

When you're as stupid as they are, any whacko thought is reality. And I know you already know that.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
How many of them will actually bother to vote after Bloomie committed bribery in paying off their fines?  I'm guessing very very few. 
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
https://democraticunderground.com/100214119544

The people they are paying off their debts to society have to be registered to vote and they must be black or hispanic. 

Why do they never recognize they are always pulling for felons to vote, without recognizing ... they automatically assume most felons will vote democrat ... Hmmmmm.

In this case they will because all of these felon's ballots will be handpicked at the time of harvest
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
Would that not be a campaign contribution of value for Biden?

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
How many of them will actually bother to vote after Bloomie committed bribery in paying off their fines?  I'm guessing very very few. 
If true, Bloomberg committing bribery, can the voting felons be charged as co-conspirators?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »
If true, Bloomberg committing bribery, can the voting felons be charged as co-conspirators?

That's one of the things that was thrown around on the Fox program I was watching the other night. 

KC

*Stolen

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
Oopsie...

(Florida Attorney General) Moody wants investigation into Bloomberg donations to pay off Florida felons’ fines

That is blatant vote buying. I can't believe even Bloomberg himself isn't aware of the violation of state voting laws that he's obviously breaking. And purposely using race as part of the qualification is a double dose of jail time in Gen Pop with No Lube.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
Buying votes.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 08:48:21 PM »
Buying votes.  :mental:
But its Democrats doing it so thats different
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)